Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Maybe the reason the team is getting manhandled is because they have your daughter on the roster?
    You know the funny thing is, she played on teams that gave up about 15 goals over a two year period while scoring 80+. Lost maybe 4 times. Had maybe 3 ties. I think the only time she played on a team that lost by more than 2 goals was at U11 or U12 when she played on a division 2 team and played in a tournament against a division 1 team (this wasn't in Oregon and the division 2 teams there were better than pretty much any Oregon team). No, she doesn't know what it's like to play 11 people on defense. Played against a lot of teams that played 11 people on defense.

Comment

What it costs to play, and whether that is too much is up to the club and parents and no one else. I think anyone who spends $20K on a car is nuts, but lots of people do, and the reasons are none of my business.

If your kid wants to play for a school East of the Mississippi then your choices are (a) ECNL events (b) find a guest play opportunity at the big Eastern tournaments, or (c) Camps. All are going to be expensive.

Most kids (70-80%), including soccer players, are going to go to a college within 150 miles of their home. College coaches in every sport are well aware of this fact and that is why they focus on local kids first. A soccer coach will be more than happy to take a look at any "local" kid who might be a possible fit even if they may not be playing at the "best" club. They do so, because (a) those kids are very often the best social/academic fit (b) it is pretty cheap/easy to take a look, and (c) under no circumstances do they want to lose out on a great local kid to someone else.

At big tournaments and ECNL events coaches can see kids compete against other good players. Yes, that is mostly true. Rest assured, however, every single college coach is absolutely convinced that they can spot talent when they see it. They do not need to see a player competing against the "best" competition. A high school game or even a pick up futsol game will be sufficient.
      And maybe it has nothing at all to do with college. Maybe they just want to play at the top level and can afford to do so. And afford to go to college. Lots of people aren't living pay check to pay check.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;1604498]What it costs to play, and whether that is too much is up to the club and parents and no one else. I think anyone who spends $20K on a car is nuts, but lots of people do, and the reasons are none of my business.

If your kid wants to play for a school East of the Mississippi then your choices are (a) ECNL events (b) find a guest play opportunity at the big Eastern tournaments, or (c) Camps. All are going to be expensive.

Most kids (70-80%), including soccer players, are going to go to a college within 150 miles of their home. College coaches in every sport are well aware of this fact and that is why they focus on local kids first. A soccer coach will be more than happy to take a look at any "local" kid who might be a possible fit even if they may not be playing at the "best" club. They do so, because (a) those kids are very often the best social/academic fit (b) it is pretty cheap/easy to take a look, and (c) under no circumstances do they want to lose out on a great local kid to someone else.

At big tournaments and ECNL events coaches can see kids compete against other good players. Yes, that is mostly true. Rest assured, however, every single college coach is absolutely convinced that they can spot talent when they see it. They do not need to see a player competing against the "best" competition. A high school game or even a pick up futsol game will be sufficient

Maybe for D2 or D3 local competition is okay. I don't know how many d1 coaches offices you have sat in with your daughter and they have told you this info, on my end it has been 5 Different ones, and what you are saying is opposite of what we were told. We were even told the competition our daughter the coach had seen her play against was not good enough and waited until after seeing her against a top ECNL team before making an offer. Just because it makes sense in your head doesn't make it true.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;1604713]
          What it costs to play, and whether that is too much is up to the club and parents and no one else. I think anyone who spends $20K on a car is nuts, but lots of people do, and the reasons are none of my business.

At big tournaments and ECNL events coaches can see kids compete against other good players. Yes, that is mostly true. Rest assured, however, every single college coach is absolutely convinced that they can spot talent when they see it. They do not need to see a player competing against the "best" competition. A high school game or even a pick up futsol game will be sufficient

Maybe for D2 or D3 local competition is okay. I don't know how many d1 coaches offices you have sat in with your daughter and they have told you this info, on my end it has been 5 Different ones, and what you are saying is opposite of what we were told. We were even told the competition our daughter the coach had seen her play against was not good enough and waited until after seeing her against a top ECNL team before making an offer. Just because it makes sense in your head doesn't make it true.
          Yes just like the 62 your kid shot on the Muni might not translate to Pebble Beach.

Comment

Fake Comments

[QUOTE=Unregistered;1604713]

Any time you see someone post comments that say college coaches don't need to see players against better competition they are simply making these comments up. After going through the process I can flatly tell you credible coaches with solid programs are not simply looking for athletic talent. They need to see players exhibit more than their athleticism. They need to see their competitive fire and game IQ displayed at the highest level.

D1 and the better D2 programs play much faster and more physical that anything available locally outside ECNL. Because of the limited number of scholarships coaches do not have the luxury of recruiting 'projects" with the hope of them developing into something in a few years. They are looking for the most complete player they can convince to come to their school today because of the massive turnover even at the top programs.

If you get the actual opportunity to talk with the head coaches of the better programs they will tell you that there is nothing like seeing a player under fire in high stakes situations to be able to "project" their success at the next level. They can't recreate that at camps so their preferred fishing pools are the major tournaments and increasingly the ECNL.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;1604893]

Any time you see someone post comments that say college coaches don't need to see players against better competition they are simply making these comments up. After going through the process I can flatly tell you credible coaches with solid programs are not simply looking for athletic talent. They need to see players exhibit more than their athleticism. They need to see their competitive fire and game IQ displayed at the highest level.

D1 and the better D2 programs play much faster and more physical that anything available locally outside ECNL. Because of the limited number of scholarships coaches do not have the luxury of recruiting 'projects" with the hope of them developing into something in a few years. They are looking for the most complete player they can convince to come to their school today because of the massive turnover even at the top programs.

If you get the actual opportunity to talk with the head coaches of the better programs they will tell you that there is nothing like seeing a player under fire in high stakes situations to be able to "project" their success at the next level. They can't recreate that at camps so their preferred fishing pools are the major tournaments and increasingly the ECNL.
              They want to see how a player impacts a game. Do they make the players around them better? Make good decisions? Have a high work rate? Do they work hard on all aspect of the game, meaning does a forward play defense or does a defender work to get into the attack? And one area where I will disagree with the above is that they do look for athleticism knowing that they can mold that once they get to school. They can't teach speed and agility.

And one thing that recruits forget is that coaches are watching even when they are not there. They know that when a player is at a showcase with coaches, they are going to work hard. But do they work hard at practice when no one is watching? Do they work hard in meaningless games? Do they get on teammates negatively? Coaches will call local coaches to get feedback. They will get trusted advisors to watch practice or meaningless games. Coaching networks are much more developed than anyone will ever imagine. Coaches are watching way more than players think.

Comment

Coaches are chasing the best players--so you must sell yourself to them

[QUOTE=Unregistered;1604901]

They want to see how a player impacts a game. Do they make the players around them better? Make good decisions? Have a high work rate? Do they work hard on all aspect of the game, meaning does a forward play defense or does a defender work to get into the attack? And one area where I will disagree with the above is that they do look for athleticism knowing that they can mold that once they get to school. They can't teach speed and agility.

And one thing that recruits forget is that coaches are watching even when they are not there. They know that when a player is at a showcase with coaches, they are going to work hard. But do they work hard at practice when no one is watching? Do they work hard in meaningless games? Do they get on teammates negatively? Coaches will call local coaches to get feedback. They will get trusted advisors to watch practice or meaningless games. Coaching networks are much more developed than anyone will ever imagine. Coaches are watching way more than players think.
                With all that said the reality is the ultra talented standouts across the USA of which Oregon has very few if any don't have a network of behind the scenes evaluates. Instead all the top college coaches are building a network and support team of resources-- finding out what the player likes, what their interests are how they can make themselves the most attractive choice to the recruit. This is what than lionshare of recruiting by top college coaches is focused on, so they have a chance of getting THE BEST PLAYERS in THE USA. If they can't sell their staff, school and team to the recruit they will not get the desired player.

For the player that doesn't fit into this category, (the standouts that everyone is after). Cross your fingers work hard and sell yourself to the univeristy/coach and have performances on the field and in the classroom that will hopefully convince them you are worthy of consideration. Like getting a job you must sell yourself if you aren't the top candidate the coaches are chasing.

Coaches recruit the best players with 95% of their resources and time. The players that fill out the squad must sell themselves to the coaches.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;1604893]

This is well written and well said. This was our experience as well. I think those that post the opposite are making it up, but just hopeful that the, "they will find you myth" is true for their own daughters sake. I think that is why it is almost always defensive, it's personal.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;1605047]

This is well written and well said. This was our experience as well. I think those that post the opposite are making it up, but just hopeful that the, "they will find you myth" is true for their own daughters sake. I think that is why it is almost always defensive, it's personal.
                    Maybe so, that said, lots of girls got top program offers without ECNL and conversely not all ECNL players will get top offers. You are a good player or you aren't, what league you play in doesn't define that. I hope you people understand that.

Comment

Folks:

On the girls' side coaches are recruiting 15 and 16 year olds. They are looking for: (a) athleticism (b) speed (c) quickness (d) height (e) attitude (f) ball skills; and (g) some basic game awareness. They are hoping that parents, school and club coaches have not screwed them up to much. The emphasis that each coach places on each of those elements differs from coach to coach, and from year to year based on their recruitment needs.

First impressions are key. If your kid is not on the coaches' "recruit this kid" list after the first opportunity the coach had to see the kid in action (practice, camp, game) then your kid is, at best, a fall back recruit for the coach; a "Plan B" kid. That's okay -- lots of kids including my own were "Plan B" kids for some schools, and perhaps "Plan A" kids for other schools. Hopefully, they will be a Plan A kid for a school that they like. Sometimes a kid can overcome the initial first impression, but it is important to be realistic. If a kid is a "Plan B" recruit, barring injury to other players ahead of them, it can be difficult to get off the bench. Remember, every year the coach will be bringing in a new batch of "Plan A" kids - all of whom are positive they are better than your kid.

There are a number of important factors that go into the decision on which school to attend. Be realistic. If the coach was not immediately enthusiastic during the recruiting process there is a good chance they will go find a kid who they are enthusiastic about as soon as the can.

Comment

Folks:

On the girls' side coaches are recruiting 15 and 16 year olds. They are looking for: (a) athleticism (b) speed (c) quickness (d) height (e) attitude (f) ball skills; and (g) some basic game awareness. They are hoping that parents, school and club coaches have not screwed them up to much. The emphasis that each coach places on each of those elements differs from coach to coach, and from year to year based on their recruitment needs.

First impressions are key. If your kid is not on the coaches' "recruit this kid" list after the first opportunity the coach had to see the kid in action (practice, camp, game) then your kid is, at best, a fall back recruit for the coach; a "Plan B" kid. That's okay -- lots of kids including my own were "Plan B" kids for some schools, and perhaps "Plan A" kids for other schools. Hopefully, they will be a Plan A kid for a school that they like. Sometimes a kid can overcome the initial first impression, but it is important to be realistic. If a kid is a "Plan B" recruit, barring injury to other players ahead of them, it can be difficult to get off the bench. Remember, every year the coach will be bringing in a new batch of "Plan A" kids - all of whom are positive they are better than your kid.

There are a number of important factors that go into the decision on which school to attend. Be realistic. If the coach was not immediately enthusiastic during the recruiting process there is a good chance they will go find a kid who they are enthusiastic about as soon as the can.
                        Well, I'm not really enthusiastic about your post, so I am moving to plan B.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;1605066]

Maybe so, that said, lots of girls got top program offers without ECNL and conversely not all ECNL players will get top offers. You are a good player or you aren't, what league you play in doesn't define that. I hope you people understand that.
                          The lots of ECNL girls number is shrinking. Coaches have limited budgets for recruiting and their recruiting pool is increased when they attend an ECNL showcase that has over 200 teams that play solid competition constantly. Sure there is the 1 non-ECNL kid on various rosters but that is trending to the exception. Keep in mind playing ECNL does not guarantee that you will play at a top level school, but if you open your eyes beyond Oregon and the west coast, then ECNL will definitely open college doors vs the non-ECNL player

http://www.eliteclubsnationalleague....me/860642.html

Comment

The lots of ECNL girls number is shrinking. Coaches have limited budgets for recruiting and their recruiting pool is increased when they attend an ECNL showcase that has over 200 teams that play solid competition constantly. Sure there is the 1 non-ECNL kid on various rosters but that is trending to the exception. Keep in mind playing ECNL does not guarantee that you will play at a top level school, but if you open your eyes beyond Oregon and the west coast, then ECNL will definitely open college doors vs the non-ECNL player

http://www.eliteclubsnationalleague....me/860642.html
                            What, ECNL doesn't guarantee a top offer? A lot of ECNL parents just had heart attacks. They were all counting on them.

Comment

Well, I'm not really enthusiastic about your post, so I am moving to plan B.
                              Whew, nice comeback! Thank of that yourself or did your mommy help you?

Comment

Folks:

Unless you are a college coach, I am going to treat your post as pure uneducated drivel.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X