Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late Recruiting

Question: If a coach sees a late bloomer they’d like to commit in the spring of senior year but the application for admittance deadlines are long past, can they still get the player into the school? I think this isn’t a problem at most D1s but what about Ivies & other high academic D1s? What about D3s?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Question: If a coach sees a late bloomer they’d like to commit in the spring of senior year but the application for admittance deadlines are long past, can they still get the player into the school? I think this isn’t a problem at most D1s but what about Ivies & other high academic D1s? What about D3s?
    Why do you assume it isn't an issue at D1s? It's an issue at any school if the admissions office has sent out their quota acceptance letters already. Granted, with enrollment down because of Covid maybe the student can still get in on their record. But this late in the game the coach will likely tell you "go ahead and apply and we'll see what happens." That means you're not a supported athlete.

Comment

Speaking of late recruiting, did anyone see NESJ's article today on several uncommitted NEPSAC seniors? Thoughts? All/most are really strong players. What went wrong for them? Targeting? Something else?

Comment

Speaking of late recruiting, did anyone see NESJ's article today on several uncommitted NEPSAC seniors? Thoughts? All/most are really strong players. What went wrong for them? Targeting? Something else?
        Covid
        Covid
        Covid

Targeting

Just because they're prep school doesn't mean they're "really strong"

Comment

Covid

Just because they're prep school doesn't mean they're "really strong"
          Agree, but I've seen most play, and they are in fact really strong. High d3/low d1 at a minimum. Even NESJ say the South Kent player should slot into a Top 25 d1 program.

I know COVID but lots of other kids managed to get recruited in these challenging times.

Comment

Agree, but I've seen most play, and they are in fact really strong. High d3/low d1 at a minimum. Even NESJ say the South Kent player should slot into a Top 25 d1 program.

I know COVID but lots of other kids managed to get recruited in these challenging times.
            Did they talk to these students? Does that player even want to "slot into a Top 25 d1 program".? As if they are all the same and all desirable for this student.

Comment

Did they talk to these students? Does that player even want to "slot into a Top 25 d1 program".? As if they are all the same and all desirable for this student.
              I know a "top" prep soccer player who will be playing another sport in college. Certainly many top students don't always want D1 (they're not all top academic schools after all). Finally, like you hinted at, where did NESJ get their info and when? Directly from players, or from public lists? Some may be recruited but aren't on any list because they don't want to be. if some are going for top d3 they may be waiting until their acceptances are finalized (around now if you applied ED or EA)

Comment

I know a "top" prep soccer player who will be playing another sport in college. Certainly many top students don't always want D1 (they're not all top academic schools after all). Finally, like you hinted at, where did NESJ get their info and when? Directly from players, or from public lists? Some may be recruited but aren't on any list because they don't want to be. if some are going for top d3 they may be waiting until their acceptances are finalized (around now if you applied ED or EA)
                top 25 D1 is not a useful description - there is no student that would be interested in all those places - a kid that wants to attend a catholic school like notre dame might have no interest in So. cal UCLA. It is meaningless to treat them as interchangeable.

Comment

Clearly none of you read the article or know prep school soccer. The South Kent kid came from Ghana and wants to turn pro . . . He wants to go to the best soccer program that will get him there. And yes, clearly NESJ spoke to each kid, and included each's highlight video embedded in the article. I would say NESJ is trying to help these kids out. But I don't understand why kids at this level haven't found a home yet. I get it, Covid messed things up. But there are 160+ other kids listed as committed in NESJ -- what did they do differently?

Comment

Why do you assume it isn't an issue at D1s? It's an issue at any school if the admissions office has sent out their quota acceptance letters already. Granted, with enrollment down because of Covid maybe the student can still get in on their record. But this late in the game the coach will likely tell you "go ahead and apply and we'll see what happens." That means you're not a supported athlete.
                    Ive known several d1 (including one P5) that got recruited in late May and June so, while it might be tough if they have no spots, I think a D1 coach has pull. The schools weren’t top academic and have high acceptance rates.

Comment

Clearly none of you read the article or know prep school soccer. The South Kent kid came from Ghana and wants to turn pro . . . He wants to go to the best soccer program that will get him there. And yes, clearly NESJ spoke to each kid, and included each's highlight video embedded in the article. I would say NESJ is trying to help these kids out. But I don't understand why kids at this level haven't found a home yet. I get it, Covid messed things up. But there are 160+ other kids listed as committed in NESJ -- what did they do differently?
                      Idk. Do they have any chance now since it’s past the application deadline for most schools?

Comment

They probably took things for granted while others hustled.

Comment

Ive known several d1 (including one P5) that got recruited in late May and June so, while it might be tough if they have no spots, I think a D1 coach has pull. The schools weren’t top academic and have high acceptance rates.
                          That was sort of my son. Landed Mid D1 despite several high D3 offers. It’s out there but you got to hustle and most kids don’t want to hustle or feel that they should have to work at their game AND getting attention.

Comment

They probably took things for granted while others hustled.
                            Or does the Ghana kid have anyone giving him good advice?

Comment

Good question, but he does have the South Kent coach, who really looks out for his players and os super connected.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X