Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    U12ish GPS team a few years back. Play came along the sidelines by the parents. One of the dads yelled "encouragement" (read: bitching that she should have done better) to his D that she didn't appreciate at all. As the ball and play moved away she held back and loudly said to her dad- "Why don't you get out here and do it?" ... 100% awesome burn. I hope she is doing well.
    Yup... Players play... Coaches coach...Parents cheer, don't coach or otherwise interfere with the players, coaches, referees, etc.

Comment

I had an NEFC parent want to fight me during the medal ceremony after my kid's team thumped his kids team. I blame CB for setting the tone that led to a completely embarrassing situation.

Comment

I had an NEFC parent want to fight me during the medal ceremony after my kid's team thumped his kids team. I blame CB for setting the tone that led to a completely embarrassing situation.
        CB is a complete jack*ss

Comment

Apparently in California, each team's fans need to stay on their half of the field. I imagine it's a rule with a legit reason based on past experiences...

Anyway, my kid is a defender mostly so I will typically go on her side of the pitch to watch. I tend to be on permanent social-distancing so I keep to myself and while toss out encouragement occasionally to her, but compliments to all (either team). In CO one time apparently my saying "Nice save, Keep" to our goalie brought the heat on me. I was getting screamed at in a mixture of Spanish and English and it became clear someone wanted to fight me. I just ignored them and kept doing and saying exactly what I had been, even breaking away from them yelling at me to say to one of their players "nice D".

They eventually realized their yelling was falling on deaf ears so they took to standing next to me and screaming took to screaming at the players on my kid's team, the ref, whomever, to try to intimidate me. Good times.

Comment

Crazy parents stories

I saw a U14 kid make a dirty play that resulted in a red card and an injured player. The parent (presumably) shouting “great play” to the carded kid as she walked off the field. Parent from our team looks at him incredulously and says “great play? Seriously?” The guy calls the injured kid a wuss and says she needs to toughen up.
            all kids need to "toughen up"

Comment

This thread brought a suppressed memory flooding back. I was coaching a U10 team in an indoor league last year. Season-ending tournament, we edged out a team that had beaten us during the regular season. During handshakes, one of their players is being a snotty little sh!t, shooting dirty looks and refusing to shake hands. So when I got to the coaches, I mentioned this to them, thinking they might want to address the crappy display of poor sportsmanship. The coach seemed surprised but mumbled something, but the coach's assistant grabbed my hand and would not release it, leaned in and told me that he'd been watching me coach for a couple years and that not only was I a horrible coach to my kids, but I was also a terrible human being in general. I have to think he had me mistaken for someone else, because we never played that team other than in the indoor league, my team is as laid back as they come (no flopping, hardly any fouling, and just average talent overall). I'm still dumbfounded by the whole thing.

Comment

Apparently in California, each team's fans need to stay on their half of the field. I imagine it's a rule with a legit reason based on past experiences...

Anyway, my kid is a defender mostly so I will typically go on her side of the pitch to watch. I tend to be on permanent social-distancing so I keep to myself and while toss out encouragement occasionally to her, but compliments to all (either team). In CO one time apparently my saying "Nice save, Keep" to our goalie brought the heat on me. I was getting screamed at in a mixture of Spanish and English and it became clear someone wanted to fight me. I just ignored them and kept doing and saying exactly what I had been, even breaking away from them yelling at me to say to one of their players "nice D".

They eventually realized their yelling was falling on deaf ears so they took to standing next to me and screaming took to screaming at the players on my kid's team, the ref, whomever, to try to intimidate me. Good times.
                This is a legit issue when attending national events. Cultural differences across regions can come to a head.

Comment

not own half of field, but each team's fans are on opposite sides of the field. I'd thought it was a possibility that MA would have taken that part up for covid modifications. would be an improvement.

Comment

not own half of field, but each team's fans are on opposite sides of the field. I'd thought it was a possibility that MA would have taken that part up for covid modifications. would be an improvement.
                    Shouldn't happen. Players should be on one side, but fans on the other

Comment

Shouldn't happen. Players should be on one side, but fans on the other

Meant to say....no, the games we participated in with CA teams (in various leagues) they stay on their HALF of the field. Fans are not allowed on the side where players are, as it should be.

Comment

What is the craziest thing you have seen a parent do or say during a soccer game. Please include the age group as well as I am sure that there will be some winners at ULittle division.
                        U12 town game. My son used his shoulder against an opposing player while trying to regain possession. The opposing player had one foot on the ball and when my son used his shoulder the other kid fell to the ground. It was right near the sidelines and a parent went running up to the sideline and started yelling at my kid. Apparently it was his kid who was forced off the ball. The ref came running over and told the parent to leave the field. When the opposing player got up he kicked my son in the leg when the ref turned around.

I am pretty easy going and generally very quiet during games...occasional a 'good job' to whoever makes a good play. I don't know s**t about soccer. I really wanted to beat the s**t out of this parent. He ended up leaving the field and sitting in his car to watch the rest of the game.

Comment

I was once in the "blowing them out" position in an indoor game. I was subbing for our regular coach, and for some reason a scheduling snafu got our fairly strong team of mostly club players playing against a rec level team. We got up by 8 or so, and I instructed the kids to shoot with their off foot and from longer distance. As it got worse, I pulled a kid off.

The other coach went berserk when he saw me pull the player off. He wanted to fight me right then and there, accusing me of playing down a couple of levels so that we could crush everybody, accusing me of trying to embarrass him and his team, etc. He wouldn't allow his team to shake hands after the game, even though some of the kids knew eachother from school and the play on the field never got chippy or anything. The other parents seemed pretty cool about the whole thing, but the coach just blew a gasket. After letting him scream and yell for a few minutes, I had had enough and just turned and walked away.

I've replayed the situation in my head a million times, and all the alternative outcomes either result in a much worse blowout or him on the floor with a concussion.
                          Wow you’re so tough

Comment

my favorite is coaching travel u12 girls. . high level game (2 of the best in BAYS) where you are not allowed to talk to the ref at all or risk a zero tolerance policy violation

opposing coach screamed multiple times during the game so everyone on both sidelines could hear it. . ."come on xxx (my name---the opposing coach) you know that's dirty play tell her to back off"

never (technically) said a word to the ref but was the most passive aggressive parent coach behavior i have ever seen

Comment

Wow you’re so tough
                              No, if I was a tough guy, or a hockey dad(?), I probably would have swung at him or goaded him into swinging at me. But I’m not in 6th grade...

Comment

Look no further than the 2007 girls thread and you’ll find the craziest parents in the history of soccer right there. Never seen anything like it.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X