Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Why wasn't "it's fun" listed there? Honestly, it's the #1 reason.
    It should be, but many lose sight of that along the way.

Comment

So an extension to April 15th means D1 college coaches will not have met with recruits or seen them play live for more than a year?
      Yes, and?

Comment

Why wasn't "it's fun" listed there? Honestly, it's the #1 reason.
        If “it’s fun” is the reason, play town.

Comment

Because...playing town isn't all that much fun. It's good for parent's egos I suppose.

Comment

Yes, and?
            That's an unprecedented amount of time to go dark during a process with a very short life cycle.

Comment

My kid loves her friends but hates “town” or high school soccer. She plays club for the intensity of practices and games. The competition is the fun for her, high school is mostly non-competitive and if it is.... its just ugly. I’m sure there will be a parent or two whose kid plays for a quality high school coach and team but its the exception rather than the rule.

Comment

My kid loves her friends but hates “town” or high school soccer. She plays club for the intensity of practices and games. The competition is the fun for her, high school is mostly non-competitive and if it is.... its just ugly. I’m sure there will be a parent or two whose kid plays for a quality high school coach and team but its the exception rather than the rule.
                I use the skiing analogy often, because it resonates with enough people here in the N'East.

Some kids like to go to Wachusett and ski the greens. If they are having fun, that's awesome. If they went to Killington and got into the blacks, they likely wouldn't have as much fun.

Some kids like to to Killington and ski the blacks. If they are having fun, that's awesome. Those kids would get bored going to Wachusett and going on the bunny slopes.

There's no right or wrong here.

I never understood why people question which league any kid is in; whether it be GA, ECNL, NPL, EDP, NEP, Town, rec, kickball, gym class, HS, MS, kindergarten, D1, D2, D3....

Comment

I am a proponent of club soccer. Have put two boys through and I believe it has been part of their development. But it's only part of their development. It isn't a fit for everyone.

With that said...for older kids that have pretty much developed and are looking at colleges there is no need for club soccer. One of the biggest reasons to play club at later stages (i.e. 16-19) is to get seen by coaches at showcases (Jefferson, Disney, etc) and to do the regional tournaments in the fall and spring. Without the showcases and tournaments, and with all games being cancelled in 2020 and probably spring of 2021) doing club doesn't make any sense unless you just want your kid to stay busy.
                  I don't disagree with your logic. A large part of the justification for club is the showcase platform. I also like the skiing analogy - many kids need the Black Diamond to have fun.

The question for me is how much the college coaches are being forced to "trust" the clubs that have been historic pipelines for them. Are they doing NO recruiting or keeping in touch with club coaches to know who is interested and who to target once the restrictions are lifted?

Comment

I don't disagree with your logic. A large part of the justification for club is the showcase platform. I also like the skiing analogy - many kids need the Black Diamond to have fun.

The question for me is how much the college coaches are being forced to "trust" the clubs that have been historic pipelines for them. Are they doing NO recruiting or keeping in touch with club coaches to know who is interested and who to target once the restrictions are lifted?
                    Having gone through the process on the boys side...recruiting was pretty much done a couple months ago. However, I think there are still lower ranked D3 schools that have open spots and are still actively looking. I know of a couple kids that are settling with these schools to keep playing and fully intend to transfer after the first year.

If you weren't prepared (i.e. highlight and full game video, initial communications, Dev Academy showcase in FL, etc) then you were facing an enormous uphill battle. Coaches didn't want to make a decision without seeing the player and they couldn't see the player since the club season, tournaments and summer ID camps were all cancelled...so they trusted the program and club the kid was in. For example, if you are Revs DA then you don't really have to be seen...not saying I agree with this but it happened). Lots of people can bash DA (or MLS Next) but the reality is that it does have its advantages.

Comment

The 21s are basically done and have been for awhile. Early Decision/Action applications are Due Nov 1 to Dec 1. Most coaches moved on a long time ago. But now 22s are at risk. There won't be any showcases until late spring. Can schools have ID events if it's a dead period?. Legit question. Obviously D3s can but they'd probably have to do them offsite. Kids who were on early radars will be ok but that leaves a lot of juniors who never were seen last spring as sophomores, a critical time period, through summer and now until April.
                      22s and 23s will be severely impacted by scores of 5th and 6th year NCAA players as well as many more '21 and '22 kids probably PGing (or just taking a year off) to get a gap year and push back their eligibility by at least a year.

Comment

Having gone through the process on the boys side...recruiting was pretty much done a couple months ago. However, I think there are still lower ranked D3 schools that have open spots and are still actively looking. I know of a couple kids that are settling with these schools to keep playing and fully intend to transfer after the first year.

If you weren't prepared (i.e. highlight and full game video, initial communications, Dev Academy showcase in FL, etc) then you were facing an enormous uphill battle. Coaches didn't want to make a decision without seeing the player and they couldn't see the player since the club season, tournaments and summer ID camps were all cancelled...so they trusted the program and club the kid was in. For example, if you are Revs DA then you don't really have to be seen...not saying I agree with this but it happened). Lots of people can bash DA (or MLS Next) but the reality is that it does have its advantages.
                        Club or coach reputation can also bit you in the behind - once a college coach gets burned they won't come back. Clubs need to be very careful not to oversell.

Comment

22s and 23s will be severely impacted by scores of 5th and 6th year NCAA players as well as many more '21 and '22 kids probably PGing (or just taking a year off) to get a gap year and push back their eligibility by at least a year.
                          Only 22s and 23s that weren't already in discussions.

Comment

Only 22s and 23s that weren't already in discussions.
                            Which were a lot, especially 23s. Even 22s lost out on all coach views from March 20 until now probably April 21. Top picks would have been on early radars but mid level picks and D2 + D3 are really behind now. You can't even go do school tours on your own now because many schools aren't running them. It all looks wonderful on line.

Comment

You can't even go do school tours on your own now because many schools aren't running them. It all looks wonderful on line.
                              Coaches are hooking up players with current students for unofficial-unofficial visits.

Comment

Will parents want to spend that kind of money ever again?
                                I think a lot are reprioritizing - I love watching my kids play but love having our weekends back. One was on the fence already because they're busy with a lot of things. Now with the winter and much of the spring in the toilet I can see they might decide not to play next year.

I feel for all these kids - in all sports - who are getting hit by all these shutdowns. And some sports are getting cut from school budgets so there's that too. Glad my kids aren't rowers or other obscure specialty sport. At least soccer will stick around.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X