Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2020 All State

How does all-state work this year with so many teams playing out of division?

Why would there be All-State with Regional pool play and most teams playing 5 or 6 other teams, some from lower divisions? IMO, All-State is a victim of the pandemic and can't reasonably be picked since most coaches will not have seen 75% of the other teams play. Let's just be glad we might get through the playoffs.

Comment

I hear nominations were due on Friday (10/30). With regional play, how are they voted upon? Purely stat driven?

Comment

What is the point of having these awards this year? No way of getting this right. Typically give out about 44 awards per division (11 first team, 11 second team, and 22 honorable mention).

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          What is the point of having these awards this year? No way of getting this right. Typically give out about 44 awards per division (11 first team, 11 second team, and 22 honorable mention).
          Are they ever right? It's a highly political process.

Comment

Totally agree. Let them vote same as always on the games played.

Comment

they are right every year, because the people chosen to pick, pick and the people they choose get the awards

havent seen a correction ever,so they must be doing a stellar job

Comment

Given how the season has played out and how difficult it would be to pick this year, give me one reason to have All-State that is not self-serving?

Comment

Given how the season has played out and how difficult it would be to pick this year, give me one reason to have All-State that is not self-serving?
                  its not difficult at all, actually its the same as in the past
                  coaches make a list, all of the coaches bring their lists to one place and they talk about it
                  then they select the first team
                  they talk some more and then they select the 2nd team
                  then they pick HM

they have done it that way for years, so not hard at all

pandemic or not the good players are still the good players

Comment

its not difficult at all, actually its the same as in the past
                    coaches make a list, all of the coaches bring their lists to one place and they talk about it
                    then they select the first team
                    they talk some more and then they select the 2nd team
                    then they pick HM

they have done it that way for years, so not hard at all

pandemic or not the good players are still the good players
                    The only time the coaches talk is if there is a tie and a discussion takes place as whether to drop/raise those players between the teams. So I'm assuming that its all based on stats for forwards/attacking mids/goalies and then whatever the coach writes about the other players.

Comment

Again, why do we need to do All-State this year? Not hearing a reason.

It's not about the process. It's about whether or not it makes sense go through a process that does not allow for a thoughtful and thorough evaluation of the players outside of the their own coach and by a majority of the other coaches in the division. I've given my reason not to have it but I have not heard a strong reason to have it this year. Let's hear it.

"Oh, Coach Smith selected Suzy Soccer for All-State and she was on the All-State team last year so she must be good and deserve to be on it this year. I'll vote for her."

I guess the coaches could just barter for selections. You give me one of yours and I will give you one of mine.

Comment

The only time the coaches talk is if there is a tie and a discussion takes place as whether to drop/raise those players between the teams. So I'm assuming that its all based on stats for forwards/attacking mids/goalies and then whatever the coach writes about the other players.
                        you have never been in the room, if you are assuming how its done (i have)

love people who prophesize yet have no idea what really goes on

Comment

Again, why do we need to do All-State this year? Not hearing a reason.

It's not about the process. It's about whether or not it makes sense go through a process that does not allow for a thoughtful and thorough evaluation of the players outside of the their own coach and by a majority of the other coaches in the division. I've given my reason not to have it but I have not heard a strong reason to have it this year. Let's hear it.

"Oh, Coach Smith selected Suzy Soccer for All-State and she was on the All-State team last year so she must be good and deserve to be on it this year. I'll vote for her."

I guess the coaches could just barter for selections. You give me one of yours and I will give you one of mine.
                          because if there is a season ,have the season and the things that go with it

if suzie soccer was on the team last year ,she was probably pretty good ,and no reason to think she isnt just as good a year older

Comment

you have never been in the room, if you are assuming how its done (i have)

love people who prophesize yet have no idea what really goes on
                            Please tell us how it's done then!

Comment

The process has never been fool proof and mistakes are going to be made. But the kids deserving to be put into consideration should have the opportunity to earn the accolades. This year should be no different than any other.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X