Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Privilege of Play: Why the world’s game is a white game in the U.S.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    plenty of minorities play youth soccer
    ***, someone needs to come up with more free money so many more marginal black soccer players can replace many more marginal while paying soccer players so we can find one superstar black player 20 years from now .... Who probably also was a former pro soccer player that had his kid do a ton of private training in europe or south america. We are looking for altidore, mckennie, yedlin, or zardes' kids specifically!

Comment

The system is exactly the same when it comes to education or basic life in the US. It's designed to be racists. I coached at middle school , high school and club level in the US.

This right there is the TRUTH and nothing but the TRUTH!

Comment

This right there is the TRUTH and nothing but the TRUTH!
        dude nice to see you answering your own comment. That is pathetic. Get a life. Boy let me answer my own comment. I am glad though that you agree with yourself. Keep on truckin my dude!

Comment

the point posters are making is these days it's NOT about being better, it's about being fair and I agree that the NBA is racist towards white people. Why should the NBA be 80% black? We always hear about fairness in society so the NBA needs to be fair and even out the divide between it's black players and adding more white players. It's NOT fair having the NBA with 80% black players.
          Whites that are good enough to contribute to a team can make the NBA. In fact, there has long been a belief that those last 2-3 guys at the end of the bench that never play often got their spots BECAUSE they were white and the teams didn't want to upset white paying customers by having 12 black players suited up for every game. The NBA and NFL are pretty much pure meritocracies for players (maybe not for executives, though).

Soccer development is purely about opportunity. In order to develop skills and the ability to play at the proper speed against higher level competition, players generally need to play for the clubs that cost $3-5k per year. They also have to be able to handle the logistics of training, game days, etc. Many families of color can't manage that, for a host of reasons.
          It's not about talent.

The best players at these high end suburban soccer clubs (including my kid) are the best players because their families could afford to give them what they need to maximize whatever talent they have. Some are aware enough to realize that there may be more gifted players elsewhere who just haven't gotten the opportunity to develop.

Comment

Whites that are good enough to contribute to a team can make the NBA. In fact, there has long been a belief that those last 2-3 guys at the end of the bench that never play often got their spots BECAUSE they were white and the teams didn't want to upset white paying customers by having 12 black players suited up for every game. The NBA and NFL are pretty much pure meritocracies for players (maybe not for executives, though).

Soccer development is purely about opportunity. In order to develop skills and the ability to play at the proper speed against higher level competition, players generally need to play for the clubs that cost $3-5k per year. They also have to be able to handle the logistics of training, game days, etc. Many families of color can't manage that, for a host of reasons.
            It's not about talent.

The best players at these high end suburban soccer clubs (including my kid) are the best players because their families could afford to give them what they need to maximize whatever talent they have. Some are aware enough to realize that there may be more gifted players elsewhere who just haven't gotten the opportunity to develop.
            Clubs aren't the problem. There are clubs that offer elite training in every sport - save football. One problem is that the town and school soccer insfrastructure is generally behind other sports (though you could argue not by much in many cases). The real issue is that soccer just doesn't have enough cultural significance beyond youth soccer to drive any investment in improving things or to attract enough elite athletes to the sport long term.

Comment

All one needs to do is take a look at the US Youth national team rosters and you will find lots of kids black and brown kids. I would agree that the sport was white in the 80's and 90's, but that has changed. I do think the structure of youth soccer in the younger age groups hurts the sport. There is no reason why 9-year-old kids are having to travel over an hour to play a league match. Between U9 to U13 so much of the time and travel could be kept at a local level.

Comment

This tread guy just likes drama. He is all about making everything racial. It isn't.

Comment

Clubs aren't the problem. There are clubs that offer elite training in every sport - save football. One problem is that the town and school soccer insfrastructure is generally behind other sports (though you could argue not by much in many cases). The real issue is that soccer just doesn't have enough cultural significance beyond youth soccer to drive any investment in improving things or to attract enough elite athletes to the sport long term.
                  Truth is everyone is part of the problem from town soccer to clubs to colleges. It’s really a societal problem. If nearly 1 in 4 Americans isn’t white, but you walk into a good school, a workplace, or onto the sports field and they are all 90% white, then racism has managed to marginalize and “hide” a lot of people. It’s sad, but true.

I volunteered at a nearby high school that was 90% black and started hiring kids from the school as summer interns. It worked out really well. One day my boss came in and said “Where are you finding all these great interns?” While he didn’t say it, I could tell from the tone in his voice that he was surprised these kids were black, but also that they were doing such a great job. I told him “You just have to open your eyes and look for them.” I think that summarizes why things are too white. People say they want diversity, but they do zero to seek it out even when it’s all around them.

That’s why when workplaces, sports clubs, or colleges say “oh, but we encourage diversity and offer special programs, financial aid, etc.” it’s just a passive cop out. They need to go into the minority communities and directly offer all that aid. It’s not that minorities are too lazy to seek it out, but without knowing opportunities exist and not seeking handouts they don’t get the help they need.

Comment

They need to go into the minority communities and directly offer all that aid. It’s not that minorities are too lazy to seek it out, but without knowing opportunities exist and not seeking handouts they don’t get the help they need.
                    Disagree.

Clubs shouldn't be tasked with driving around throwing money out the window. If a player can play for them, and money is an obstacle, then they should be (and I believe many do) find a way to get them to play for them.

Comment

What about hockey? We need way way way way more black hockey players!! 95% white IS NOT FAIR! Please get more black hockey players asap!!

Comment

Disagree.

Clubs shouldn't be tasked with driving around throwing money out the window. If a player can play for them, and money is an obstacle, then they should be (and I believe many do) find a way to get them to play for them.
                        Clubs aren’t “tasked” to do anything. If they really want diversity, they need to seek it out because finding opportunity isn’t equal between whites and minorities, especially if there are wealth disparities. And it’s not always about money, it’s also about feeling welcome and included. Put it to you another way assuming you’re white, if there are a great workplace that was 100% black with a black CEO, etc. would you feel comfortable applying there unsolicited? Or would it make you feel better if they reached out to you in some way?

Comment

The Privilege of Play: Why the world’s game is a white game in the U.S.

very dumb post looking to be an idiot so here is an idiotic reply..... why doesn't the U.S. recruit all those illegal Mexicans that sneak over boarder to play soccer. That would help soccer in the U.S. become less white.

Hopefully this post gets flagged soon!
                          stupid reply. hey dumb-ss. mexicans are mexican (black/white) has nothing to do with
                          anything.

and just to debunk the stupid title of this thread....73% of the US population is white so this is probably the main reason mostly white kids play soccer. (it has nothing to do with race or racism, its statistics). its just a simple FACT so do not get your b-tch panties in a bunch.

In any event, Yes, recruiting more illegal mexicans to play for the US is a good thing and with this model the US has a better chance of qualifying for the world cup.

Comment

stupid reply. hey dumb-ss. mexicans are mexican (black/white) has nothing to do with
                            anything.

and just to debunk the stupid title of this thread....73% of the US population is white so this is probably the main reason mostly white kids play soccer. (it has nothing to do with race or racism, its statistics). its just a simple FACT so do not get your b-tch panties in a bunch.

In any event, Yes, recruiting more illegal mexicans to play for the US is a good thing and with this model the US has a better chance of qualifying for the world cup.
                            A race baiting argument coming from a an effeminate "man" on a website that has "temporarily" suspended commentary as the talking points are not being followed.

An old, intellectually lazy, plagiarized, click bait article full of untruths. So brave.

Comment

The US is actually now 60% straight up white and continually shrinking. But soccer is more white because 1) whites in average have disposable income for extras for their kids 2) soccer isn't as popular with African Americans. It is with Hispanics but again, they have lower incomes on average. Many heavily Hispanic communities have low cost options but they're insular and don't give kids enough exposure to get picked up by an "elite" club. Forget getting noticed playing high school

Comment

The US is actually now 60% straight up white and continually shrinking. But soccer is more white because 1) whites in average have disposable income for extras for their kids 2) soccer isn't as popular with African Americans. It is with Hispanics but again, they have lower incomes on average. Many heavily Hispanic communities have low cost options but they're insular and don't give kids enough exposure to get picked up by an "elite" club. Forget getting noticed playing high school
                                According to the website provided below your 60% is incorrect.

White 75.1%
                                Black or African American 12.3%

This site may be wrong but you didn't produce a source for your 60% so I looked it up. Here is the link:

https://www.infoplease.com/us/societ...more%20rows%20

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X