Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which is more favorable for recruiting

I’m be honest here. Which of these situations is better suited to have your kid get recruited for a d1 college?

Being a good bench player on an ECNL team getting 15 minutes a half at more than one position?

Or

Being the star player on an ECNL-R team?

Our ECNL team plays in more showcases and the team is in front college coaches more often. The ECNL-R team also plays in several tournaments just doesn’t have access to the ECNL showcases.

I feel the video we could send to interested coaches would be better playing against the ECNL-R teams.

What do you think?

This will depend on expectations and your ego. If you are not concern about the college or the scholarship package, you would let your kid decide. I think the the player enjoy playing more.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I’m be honest here. Which of these situations is better suited to have your kid get recruited for a d1 college?

Being a good bench player on an ECNL team getting 15 minutes a half at more than one position?

Or

Our ECNL team plays in more showcases and the team is in front college coaches more often. The ECNL-R team also plays in several tournaments just doesn’t have access to the ECNL showcases.

I feel the video we could send to interested coaches would be better playing against the ECNL-R teams.

What do you think?
      Coaches don't shop the team or league but the player. That said, having a top badge opens doors to top programs faster. Like you said though ECNL has better exposure opportunities. But it sounds like she isn't a top D1 prospect if she isn't playing much. If that's the case then no ECNL isn't a requirement. Plenty of non ECNL players get recruited to lower level D1 programs as well as D2 and D3. She can also do ID events at specific school that are most of interest to her.

Comment

Or

What do you think?

Forget about the level and play for a coach that's connected.

Comment

D1 teams rosters:
          a. 50% foreign players
          b. 50% MLS academies players
          Don’t waste time with D1. Try DIII. So both are dead ends for young players.
          Regards.

Comment

The ball is physically on your foot for about 3 minutes in a 90 minute game. 15 minutes is not going to give you meaningful touches or enough video footage. Bottom line is you need to be on the field to be seen. Make your video clips, send them out, and go to ID clinics. You don't need the badge if you're talented, at that level, and do the recruiting work.

Comment

I would just like to thank everyone who replied civilly with their opinions. Much appreciated.

Comment

Or

What do you think?
                Wherever hes playing the best team and training with best players .. if he wants to get better he will earn that starter position..up to him

Comment

I would just like to thank everyone who replied civilly with their opinions. Much appreciated.

I know how it is getting flip responses from people. Like I said get on the team with best players always ..it will make him work hard to earn the starting position..being the superstar of the lower team is where you don't want to be ..training is the most important ..

Comment

I know how it is getting flip responses from people. Like I said get on the team with best players always ..it will make him work hard to earn the starting position..being the superstar of the lower team is where you don't want to be ..training is the most important ..
                    I have seen many ECNL teams get beat by non ECNL teams even non ECNL Regional Teams so who really knows. Why play for a team just to say you have a badge. I rather have my kid on the field. Don’t think that ECNL always pic the best players or have the best players.

Comment

Be careful what you ask for!

Most parents and players don't realize what playing D-1 entails.

I have two kids who have played soccer for years at all levels. One currently starts for a fairly high level D-1 program, and one is still playing at the club level.

Lets break down a day in the life of of D-1 player....

Imagine for a moment that you need to wake up at 5 or 6AM almost every morning in order to lift weights, run sprints, attend 2-3 hour training, or re-hab sessions BEFORE you start your school day? Then you scramble off to class, get back to your dorm in the late afternoon just in time to spend hours studying. Hopefully there is time to shove some underwhelming food down your throat as you attempt to squeeze in a few moments with your friends.

Then you pass out, wake up and do it all over again. Sounds great doesn't it?

Oh I forgot a few minor details....

Out of the 30 or so "players" only 22 suit up or travel with the team.
                      Travel often includes long bus rides or horrible flight schedules with multiple stopovers.
                      The food is hit or miss at best. Most of your time is spent trying to catch up on your school work.

"Suiting up" for home game days means that you wear the jersey. All players not "suiting up" wear another jersey of a different color. All of your friends and family can clearly see that you are a player that doesn't "suit up".

Oh, I forgot another minor detail...

Of the 22 players that "suit up" only about 15-17 players actually play.
                      Of the 15-17 players that actually play only about 13 get any real minutes.

And the players who play? They must be happy right??

The impact players are often driven into the ground playing with all sorts of pains, strains, nicks and bruises. But they are the lucky ones.

In the case of my daughter she of course has many friends on the team. A lot of her friends either don't get many minutes, or don't suit of at all. She is surrounded by constant bitching, crying and negativity. Many of the players are seeing a therapist in order to cope.
                      This includes starters and impact players.

I can go on and on about the stress coming from the Head coach but I don't have all day.

Here is the bottom line-

1. Your kid needs to target the level of program that is best suited for them.

2. DO NOT PUSH TO HAVE YOUR KID GO AFTER A PROGRAM OVER THEIR HEADS!!!

3. FINANCIAL AID IS THE BEST SCHOLARSHIP AND ITS NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!!!!

4. AVOID TAKING ATHLETIC MONEY IF YOU CAN!!!!

5. ENJOY EVERY MOMENT OF CLUB, HIGH SCHOOL ETC AND HAVE FUN!!!!

I apologize if you think that I'm only focusing on the negative. My older daughter is going to one of the top schools in the country and she has a tremendous scholarship. She is getting a great education and has met incredible people.

My younger daughter is a good soccer player but not on the level of her older sister. She
                      can "play" D-1 but there is no way. We will be thrilled to see her in a Florida State school and enjoy normal college life.

Or

What do you think?

Comment

Coaches don't shop the team or league but the player. That said, having a top badge opens doors to top programs faster. Like you said though ECNL has better exposure opportunities. But it sounds like she isn't a top D1 prospect if she isn't playing much. If that's the case then no ECNL isn't a requirement. Plenty of non ECNL players get recruited to lower level D1 programs as well as D2 and D3. She can also do ID events at specific school that are most of interest to her.
                        Plenty of non Ecnl players getting into top D1 also. Don’t believe the ECNL hype.

Comment

I would agree with you with one exception and that's the age of the player. I have seen many younger players that are early developers get a big head start at younger ages. They play more than everyone else, get more touches than anyone else and they are always hailed as the next Messi. then there is the kid that is kind of uncoordinated, looks like he's a giraffe on roller skates, becomes somewhat of a role player. At younger ages it is beneficial for the giraffe to play on the top team because if he has a good coach he will develop during training sessions by playing with and against his top team teammates. Many times the early developer gets passed by when the giraffe gets coordination and has size, speed that the early developer can't match. So at younger ages the giraffe player needs to learn to play as if he is the smallest, slowest on the team so when he gets older he has everything the early developer has.
                          unfortunatley there are too many coaches at younger ages that pick who will be developed and who won't be because they just want to win games.
                          At older ages I would definatley pick the ecnlr option because they need playing time and it is probably a realty slap that they will not be a high level D1 player anyway. I went to an ENPL national championship a couple years ago and the team that won the national championship at the U19 level was an NPL team over all the ECNL teams. That NPL team (NEFC) had 6 players that were already committed to D1 colleges and the following year there were 2 other kids on the roster that committed to D1 colleges. So it's not impossible to go D1 as kids will continue to develop untill they are 25 years old.
                          At ECNLr I would think D2 and D3 schools are more realistic.

Comment

Or

What do you think?
                            Doesn’t matter because in either of these scenarios they are not a DI level player.

Comment

Or

What do you think?
                              First, do not fall into the “d1 or nothing” mentality. That will do more harm than good. Second, get on the highest level team your kid can make. At showcases where the college coaches are, all kids on the team will get playing time. Third, do not rely on a club or coach to get your kid seen. It is you and your kids job. That will show you how bad your kid really wants it.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X