X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tough call

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Honestly unless you have a crap ton of money for outside sessions you should play for the worst defensive team you can tolerate. What challenges can you face as a young keeper if you only get shot on a hand full of times a game. Wanna be on that winning team as a keeper who goes 1 for 4 on shots on or the one who loses letting in 2 out of 20? Which do you think gets better?

Comment

It’s not only about stopping shots, while that is #1. What about game management and playing as part of back line and team.

Comment

Honestly unless you have a crap ton of money for outside sessions you should play for the worst defensive team you can tolerate. What challenges can you face as a young keeper if you only get shot on a hand full of times a game. Wanna be on that winning team as a keeper who goes 1 for 4 on shots on or the one who loses letting in 2 out of 20? Which do you think gets better?
        I think having the stuffing beaten out of you occasionally as a gk does help build a better player, but I don't think you should tolerate it every game. It's frustrating, especially for a young gk, to stand on your head every game and still lose. If you are a quality young gk (can use your feet, talks to and positions your defenders, stops shots, etc.) and your defense doesn't listen to you, doesn't involve you in ball movement, always out of position, can't physically/technically stop the opposing players, etc., those 20+ shots you are receiving aren't quality game situation shots. I do agree that being on a team with a lockdown d from u8 on doesn't help either, but beating down a gk over and over again is not a good way to make a better one.

Comment

It’s not only about stopping shots, while that is #1. What about game management and playing as part of back line and team.
          Exactly. People who make comments about how gks should be on the worst team possible don't know anything about the position. If you actually played the position outside on 1 time when you were u8, then you would know getting pounded on every day like it's a batting cage improves only a very narrow portion of your physical game and makes mental toughness the only attribute that is really worked out in that situation.

Comment

I am guessing you are a parent of a goalie? The truth is, if a goalie is not being challenged for playing time on a team, they do not have a reason to push themselves. By your reasoning, you should only carry 11 players on a team. If one of your players gets hurt, oh well, play with 10, right?

There should always be 2 goalies on a decent team and yes, many field players do play half a game, or less. Let's use the current Penn State Women's team as a perfect example. They have 2 US National team goalies on that team. Should they not play on the same team together? Of course not. They challenge each other each day
            I can’t help it if your child is not motivated. My child pushes herself because she wants to be the best. If a field player only plays half a game that is on them. If they cannot push themselves that is their problem. A field player has every opportunity to play more than one half. If there are 2 goalkeepers then they will never have the opportunity to play more than 1 half so your challenging theory is wrong.

Comment

I can’t help it if your child is not motivated. My child pushes herself because she wants to be the best. If a field player only plays half a game that is on them. If they cannot push themselves that is their problem. A field player has every opportunity to play more than one half. If there are 2 goalkeepers then they will never have the opportunity to play more than 1 half so your challenging theory is wrong.
              Tiny penis alert ^^^^^^

Comment

I agree with you regarding motivation, but having competition for a spot is fine in my opinion if the coach actually knows something about the position and isn't just winging it based on feelings or "looks".

I think having a second gk is fine, but there should either be a clear hierarchy, a starter and a backup, or the keepers should get field time while the other is in net. Having a kid sitting half a game makes no sense in my opinion.

Comment

Tiny penis alert ^^^^^^
                  The only people that say stuff like this are the people who haven't seen their penis in 5 years and get winded walking from their car to their front door. Instead of having a discussion you come up with and fail with a personal attack. Go away.

Comment

Tiny penis alert ^^^^^^
                    I know who this is. She does not have a penis...

Always looking for attention on social media...

Comment

I agree with you regarding motivation, but having competition for a spot is fine in my opinion if the coach actually knows something about the position and isn't just winging it based on feelings or "looks".

I think having a second gk is fine, but there should either be a clear hierarchy, a starter and a backup, or the keepers should get field time while the other is in net. Having a kid sitting half a game makes no sense in my opinion.
                      So if my club has 2 outstanding goalkeepers who want to play, say in Girls ECNL, should one parent pull their kid and go to another club? I am curious of the response here. Shouldn't those 2 goalies push each other and perhaps form a bond.

If you do not have 2 goalies on a team, what happens when your only goalie goes up for a cross and gets knocked out in a championship game? Do you put your 2nd string striker in?

Soccer is a team sport, and part of being on a team is being pushed by your teammates. Thinking your daughter should be the only goalie on a team will only lead her to be unable to cope with being one of 3 goalies on her college team. Teach your kid to be part of a team.

Comment

So if my club has 2 outstanding goalkeepers who want to play, say in Girls ECNL, should one parent pull their kid and go to another club? I am curious of the response here. Shouldn't those 2 goalies push each other and perhaps form a bond.

If you do not have 2 goalies on a team, what happens when your only goalie goes up for a cross and gets knocked out in a championship game? Do you put your 2nd string striker in?

Soccer is a team sport, and part of being on a team is being pushed by your teammates. Thinking your daughter should be the only goalie on a team will only lead her to be unable to cope with being one of 3 goalies on her college team. Teach your kid to be part of a team.
                        I think it comes down to how old the kids are. ECNL age and above having a second gk is fine/preferred, especially for practice and spot competition purposes. Deciding who plays, when, and for how long is frequently the issue I see. As there are many coaches with little to no gk experience (and don't bring in the gk coach for advice), this could be a huge issue. I would think about pulling my kid if they are barely playing. Game experience is important, and if they aren't seeing game time then development doesn't progress. Also, the gk position is a leadership role, so having no transparency about who is the starter/backup or what the position means to the team hurts on-field chemistry.

Comment

One keeper will always be better than the other keeper. So the second best keeper will always play as much as the better keeper.

You can always bring a keeper from another team in your club.

Soccer is a team sport and it is unfair to the team to have to adjust to how a keeper plays every half. Some keepers use their feet and play more as a defensive player. Other keepers stay back more and just take shots.

Unlike ECNL Split keeper time, colleges play the best keeper no matter what. So if you want the position you work for it.

Comment

I think it comes down to how old the kids are. ECNL age and above having a second gk is fine/preferred, especially for practice and spot competition purposes. Deciding who plays, when, and for how long is frequently the issue I see. As there are many coaches with little to no gk experience (and don't bring in the gk coach for advice), this could be a huge issue. I would think about pulling my kid if they are barely playing. Game experience is important, and if they aren't seeing game time then development doesn't progress. Also, the gk position is a leadership role, so having no transparency about who is the starter/backup or what the position means to the team hurts on-field chemistry.
                            Agreed playing time and good goalie management is the key.. Lets face it, a good goalie is hard to find and if a team is lucky enough to have two of them, its up to the coach to make sure they both feel appreciated. If not, another team will be happy to make that goalie appreciated.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x
                            Working...
                            X