Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LI Soccer club how are they?

Anyone know if a LI Soccer Club academy is a good soccer program? I hear they are merging with Rough Riders.

They are great if you like spending a lot of money to be in last place.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      They are great if you like spending a lot of money to be in last place.
      Standings are irrelevant. How is the coaching, facilities, exposure, teammates, financial stability of the club, etc.? Those are the questions to be answered.

Comment

Anyone know if a LI Soccer Club academy is a good soccer program? I hear they are merging with Rough Riders.

LISC was "born" about 3 years ago when the folks at East Meadow got together with the folks at Rough Riders to form a new club that would serve as an "extension" of East Meadow in GDA. At the time, ECNL clubs (with the exception of a few) were not permitted to field full-on programs in both ECNL & GDA. LISC was essentially a "front" so EM could offer both leagues to it's players.ECNL found out and put the squeeze on EM, who then bailed on the LISC collaboration and GDA (turned out to be the smartest thing they ever did!).Rough Riders folks seized the opportunity of the golden badge and forged forward. So they've ALWAYS been Rough Riders.

GAL Director, Meghan Frey is top notch. Great trainer, great coach, great communicator, great role-model. The only "BUT" is that LISC is her 3rd gig in less than 5 years (following HBC & Surf-where she was DOC for a short stint), by her choice. Not hating on her for being ambitious, just more of an FYI.

The teams ranged from "meh" to dreadful in GDA, but game performance isn't everything. Nobody knows what GAL is going to offer competition wise. Luckily LISC moved to NE, which looks to be much stronger than Mid-Atlantic (they added several low level EDP clubs in Mid-Atlantic, like EDP D3 level). It will be the only club on LI that offers a full schedule during HS season, so if your kid isn't into her HS team-it's a great option to keep her training & playing during those months.

Comment

Standings are irrelevant. How is the coaching, facilities, exposure, teammates, financial stability of the club, etc.? Those are the questions to be answered.
          Really? I've never wondered about the financial stability of a club, but OK. Here are answers...

Coaching-Meghan Frey is excellent, but she's not a magician. If your kid has potential to be a strong player, she'll help them reach it. She got handed a giant mess and is doing her level best to make the teams competitive (even though you say standings are irrelevant, they're not).

Facilities-Great, they train at Hofstra. Cool experience.

Exposure-They play in GAL that hasn't played a single game yet. The response from college coaches to GAL is TBD. 2004 team got a lot of exposure at GDA showcases, but GAL is not GDA-so younger ages still up in the air. If they continue to be cellar dwellers in GAL, you can assume the exposure won't be great (there's those pesky irrelevant standings again).

Teammates-depends on the team. 2004 team mysteriously lost 2 of it's top players to ECNL teams. One was mid-season. Seems team culture may not be top priority.

Financial Stability-Globall Soccer Concepts has been around for quite a while and has owned Rough Riders for at least 15 years, so I guess they got some money in their coffers.

Comment

Really? I've never wondered about the financial stability of a club, but OK. Here are answers...

Coaching-Meghan Frey is excellent, but she's not a magician. If your kid has potential to be a strong player, she'll help them reach it. She got handed a giant mess and is doing her level best to make the teams competitive (even though you say standings are irrelevant, they're not).

Facilities-Great, they train at Hofstra. Cool experience.

Exposure-They play in GAL that hasn't played a single game yet. The response from college coaches to GAL is TBD. 2004 team got a lot of exposure at GDA showcases, but GAL is not GDA-so younger ages still up in the air. If they continue to be cellar dwellers in GAL, you can assume the exposure won't be great (there's those pesky irrelevant standings again).

Teammates-depends on the team. 2004 team mysteriously lost 2 of it's top players to ECNL teams. One was mid-season. Seems team culture may not be top priority.

Financial Stability-Globall Soccer Concepts has been around for quite a while and has owned Rough Riders for at least 15 years, so I guess they got some money in their coffers.
            Coaches recruit players, not teams. All teams will play in the same leagues and the same tournaments and showcases. If you are a good player on a poor team, don't worry about it.

Concentrating on the standings is for the parents who are too worried if their kid is worthy of FB likes.

Comment

I was asking more for the boys academy program at the 2012/2011 age group. I have noticed that girls playing programs are taken more seriously in Long Island. I have also noticed that there are some good players in 2012/2011 age groups. My son has decided to ONLY play soccer now even at a young age.

Comment

Coaches recruit players, not teams. All teams will play in the same leagues and the same tournaments and showcases. If you are a good player on a poor team, don't worry about it.

Concentrating on the standings is for the parents who are too worried if their kid is worthy of FB likes.
                WOW, this is really bad advice!!!
                First-
                "All teams will play in the same leagues and the same tournaments and showcases"-So will LIJSL teams be playing in GAL showcases? Will ECNL teams suddenly forego ECNL showcases for the EDP Winter Cup? Come on now. All things are not created equal and is foolish to pretend they are.

"If you are a good player on a poor team, don't worry about it" is absolute horrible advice. Why bother with any of this then? You could be the best player on the local town team EDP D2 team, but don't worry about it, I'm sure your friend's dad-who is the coach, has many college coaches programmed in his iPhone.

The only thing you left out was the standard-"If you're a good player, the coaches will find you". LMFAO, my kid is pretty damn good and-oh wait, gotta go, Robbie Church just pulled up in front of my house! Guess he finally found my kid :)

Comment

WOW, this is really bad advice!!!
                  First-
                  "All teams will play in the same leagues and the same tournaments and showcases"-So will LIJSL teams be playing in GAL showcases? Will ECNL teams suddenly forego ECNL showcases for the EDP Winter Cup? Come on now. All things are not created equal and is foolish to pretend they are.

"If you are a good player on a poor team, don't worry about it" is absolute horrible advice. Why bother with any of this then? You could be the best player on the local town team EDP D2 team, but don't worry about it, I'm sure your friend's dad-who is the coach, has many college coaches programmed in his iPhone.

The only thing you left out was the standard-"If you're a good player, the coaches will find you". LMFAO, my kid is pretty damn good and-oh wait, gotta go, Robbie Church just pulled up in front of my house! Guess he finally found my kid :)

Ummmm, no. All teams in the same in the same league are int he same showcases, so their standings in the league don't matter. C'mon, catch up. Sometimes you ECNL cheerleaders just cannot help yourself from slapping your meat on the table to measure it up, whether someone asks or not.

I'm speaking from a college recruitment perspective, with first-hand knowledge. Yes, exactly the feedback received from coaches that are recruiting my daughter, and also from friends I have in the coaching community. You are speaking from a "my league is best therefore my kid is too" perspective. Take it for what it's worth.

The team you are playing on and where they sit in the standings is the least of their concerns. Say you have a good team, and a shltty goalie. That means they won't see your kid? C'mon dude, get a grip on reality.

Comment

You forgot likely one of the most important factors: roster size. Being on a winning team and not getting any minutes is much more harmful than being a leader on a middling team.

Coaches can't recruit you from the water cooler.

Comment

Ummmm, no. All teams in the same in the same league are int he same showcases, so their standings in the league don't matter. C'mon, catch up. Sometimes you ECNL cheerleaders just cannot help yourself from slapping your meat on the table to measure it up, whether someone asks or not.

I'm speaking from a college recruitment perspective, with first-hand knowledge. Yes, exactly the feedback received from coaches that are recruiting my daughter, and also from friends I have in the coaching community. You are speaking from a "my league is best therefore my kid is too" perspective. Take it for what it's worth.

The team you are playing on and where they sit in the standings is the least of their concerns. Say you have a good team, and a shltty goalie. That means they won't see your kid? C'mon dude, get a grip on reality.
                      OP here and my kid doesn't play for an ECNL team, never said she did. Also never said "my league is best", I don't have a league but my daughter plays in USYS NL. None of that changes the fact that the post I replied to was ridiculous and riddled with bad advice and disinformation, sort of like this one that I'm replying to.
                      Your "good team" but "shltty goalie" comment tells me all I need to know, lol.

Comment

OP here and my kid doesn't play for an ECNL team, never said she did. Also never said "my league is best", I don't have a league but my daughter plays in USYS NL. None of that changes the fact that the post I replied to was ridiculous and riddled with bad advice and disinformation, sort of like this one that I'm replying to.
                        Your "good team" but "shltty goalie" comment tells me all I need to know, lol.
                        And, my post was providing information directly from college coaches. Yours was lost in the clouds.

Real example. Last year, our club hovered in the lower third of the table. Won/tied half our games. Every game was a one-goal game, or tied, with under 15 minutes left. We gave away no less than 12 points (3 ties become losses, and 3 wins became ties) due to learning to play out of the back. Missed passes, poor clearances, goalie mistakes, etc. (My kid was at fault for at least 2 of them, so not casting stones). We add those 12 points and we are near the top of the table. Parents complained, but I continued to maintain we were learning and that's all that mattered. You really think the record matters? Not in the slightest.

Coaches watch games, not scores.

So clueless. You are the reason why we continue to fall behind in the world. Too much concern with the almighty "W" when learning to play.

Comment

I was asking more for the boys academy program at the 2012/2011 age group. I have noticed that girls playing programs are taken more seriously in Long Island. I have also noticed that there are some good players in 2012/2011 age groups. My son has decided to ONLY play soccer now even at a young age.
                          I’d be interested to know about their boys program too. From the outside, it is hard to get a sense of them because everything looks to be all about the girls.

Comment

And, my post was providing information directly from college coaches. Yours was lost in the clouds.

Real example. Last year, our club hovered in the lower third of the table. Won/tied half our games. Every game was a one-goal game, or tied, with under 15 minutes left. We gave away no less than 12 points (3 ties become losses, and 3 wins became ties) due to learning to play out of the back. Missed passes, poor clearances, goalie mistakes, etc. (My kid was at fault for at least 2 of them, so not casting stones). We add those 12 points and we are near the top of the table. Parents complained, but I continued to maintain we were learning and that's all that mattered. You really think the record matters? Not in the slightest.

Coaches watch games, not scores.

So clueless. You are the reason why we continue to fall behind in the world. Too much concern with the almighty "W" when learning to play.
                            Every single showcase attempts to match talent level to talent level. If your child's team has a lousy record and are in the lower third, they are matched against other teams with lousy records who are in the lower third of their conference/division. Doesn't matter if your in GAL, USYS or ECNL, that's how it works.

When dozens and dozens of kids that reach out to college coaches, they can't see ALL of them. If the coaches you talk to are seeking out kids who play on the bottom of the table teams, as opposed to checking out the kids who are on the top level teams, consider yourself lucky. Maybe your kid will get a full ride at University of Fantasy Land, good luck!

Comment

The only thing I agree with you is that coaches watch players and not scores. Coaches watch how players react during a game. How they play when the team is winning, team is losing. Are they a positive influence on the team, do they make the other players play better. Are they playing hard and communicating with the other players on their team. These are all the dynamics that matter including watching the player during warmups. It’s all about how they see the player perform. But to get there they have to perform at a colleges showcase camp/clinic. If they get identified then coaches will add them to there list of players to watch at a given showcase. BTW, what the person said about the quality opponent is unfortunately true. The sidelines with 100 coaches will be a match against high level teams. Coaches do not have the time or resources to watch lower ranked teams playing and therefore you hope that coach who saw you at their camp/clinic stays for 1/2 the match. Coaches want to see players playing against competitive players in a highly competitive match.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X