Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soccer Wire Article: This is Perfect (SUSA, EM, ALL NJ Clubs)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Town programs often have even more politics. It's one reason why families leave them.
    Yup, yup & yup!!! When little Suzie's daddy is the coach, little Suzie & her friends are the stars! My kid jumped from a team like this at U10...she's now a rising HS Senior, committed to a quality D1 program-it was the best decision she ever made. Yes, decision SHE made.

At the time, there was crying from everyone that her new team had "poached" her and a few other outliers that little Suzie wasn't friends with, but that was far from the truth.

Comment

Yup, yup & yup!!! When little Suzie's daddy is the coach, little Suzie & her friends are the stars! My kid jumped from a team like this at U10...she's now a rising HS Senior, committed to a quality D1 program-it was the best decision she ever made. Yes, decision SHE made.

At the time, there was crying from everyone that her new team had "poached" her and a few other outliers that little Suzie wasn't friends with, but that was far from the truth.

When we moved to our area, my daughter wanted to try out for the travel soccer team. They told her sorry, we have a team and you're not welcome to play with us, despite the roster only having 11 kids. We had to play two towns over with kids she didnt know all because they didnt want someone new coming in to "overshadow" their super stars. 2 years later we are ECNL. That was our first taste of how adults ruin everything for kids.

Comment

I wrote this yesterday, when the same exact article was posted on a different thread in this exact forum...

You can't "steal" people who are paying for services, buying all the crap that comes with it and shuttling their kids to practices and games. If you have a solid program, a solid team and coaches that are committed to making that team as competitive and successful as possible, nobody will leave.

I have an older daughter in college and I think about the HBC 00/01 team. Top USYS team with an incredibly impressive list of college commitments. EM and Albertson did cartwheels, promised the sun, moon and stars to these girls to try and get them to come over either as individuals or as a team, stating at like U13. They refused. I think maybe in their senior year, after the 00s graduated, some of the 01s ended up in GDA at the behest of their colleges-but so many of the team had graduated already anyway.

So tired of the boo hoo-ing from clubs that just go through the motions, offer run of the mill level competition and experiences for kids and then cry foul when they leave for a different experience.
        Development is thrown out there, but its different things to different people. Develop for what? To be a better player OR to have a better resume for recruiting? Develop[ with a view to continuing to play or to peak now? It is assumed that everyone ants the same outcome IF they are paying for a top Club, but that is actually false. The elite player who knows where they are going may want a different focus vs the kid trying to impress who is on the bubble.

The original letter describes the youth soccer business for girls very well. The industry is a byproduct of what parents want. You absolutely can recruit players and clubs do its part of soccer. the issue here is that parents dont look closely enough at what they are being sold.

Comment

Hard to build a team or club when kids being poached at 9 and 10 years old.
          Are any of the players from the HBC you mentioned stars at a top 25 College program? No names required obv, but I am curious.

Comment

Development is thrown out there, but its different things to different people. Develop for what? To be a better player OR to have a better resume for recruiting? Develop[ with a view to continuing to play or to peak now? It is assumed that everyone ants the same outcome IF they are paying for a top Club, but that is actually false. The elite player who knows where they are going may want a different focus vs the kid trying to impress who is on the bubble.

The original letter describes the youth soccer business for girls very well. The industry is a byproduct of what parents want. You absolutely can recruit players and clubs do its part of soccer. the issue here is that parents dont look closely enough at what they are being sold.
            There is NO development plan at SUSA, just how quickly can they poach the next big thing and move off weaker players

Comment

This is what is wrong about soccer in the US for girls ^^^^

Post IMPLIES that the team she jumped to at U10 is why she is committed. Also suggest that other parents were upset that she left. IMPLIES that the parents felt that results would suffer a bit.

Post IMPLIES some players were better and calls them outliers.

The coaching you get at this age should be the most important thing. Not tactical team stuff, but individual development. The players ability, attitude and physical development will play a much bigger role than the team she played for at U10. Finally, the players OP calls outliers are the ONLY ones who should be paying anything meaningful for the recreational pleasure of soccer. The fact that businessmen have convinced middle class parents in parts of America otherwise is one of the great deceptions. The profits in this come from the parents whose kids really should not be there on soccer ability. This group is usually the most vocal in pushing an agenda to keep things mediocre.

Comment

Daddy coaches are a bad idea, just ask any parent form the WCFC 02 ECNL team, that bunch of nits had 2 daddy coaches, and sure as shiit the coaches kids got major minutes, one of the girls was the DOC’s kid, you know the psycho who got tossed, that bunch was full of nepotism, and bull shiit, glad they are all done, hope to never see any of them again, unless its a car crash with them inside, then I would stop and say hello...

Comment

This is what is wrong about soccer in the US for girls ^^^^

Post IMPLIES that the team she jumped to at U10 is why she is committed. Also suggest that other parents were upset that she left. IMPLIES that the parents felt that results would suffer a bit.

Post IMPLIES some players were better and calls them outliers.

The coaching you get at this age should be the most important thing. Not tactical team stuff, but individual development. The players ability, attitude and physical development will play a much bigger role than the team she played for at U10. Finally, the players OP calls outliers are the ONLY ones who should be paying anything meaningful for the recreational pleasure of soccer. The fact that businessmen have convinced middle class parents in parts of America otherwise is one of the great deceptions. The profits in this come from the parents whose kids really should not be there on soccer ability. This group is usually the most vocal in pushing an agenda to keep things mediocre.
                  OP here, I was looking to keep things vague intentionally, but since you made so many inferences from my post, I'll clarify.

-My daughter's U10 team is not the reason she committed, but joining a stronger program that focused on kids who showed potential over focusing on kids that their daughter wanted to invite over for a play date, is.
                  -Was my kid better than little Suzie & her friends? 100%. That's not parent goggles, that's a coach from the original club suggesting that my daughter "play up" with his team because he'd seen her at practice and felt she would "get bored" on the team with little Suzie's daddy. He was floored when we told him she rode the bench and only played the amount of minutes that were deemed "mandatory" for every player on the team.
                  -I called my daughter and a few others "outliers" because they were, they weren't part of little Suzie's friend group.
                  -Yes, other players parents vented their frustration that another club had "poached" players. I don't know why. Nobody thought they were anything special when they were on the team, but once they were gone-people were up in arms about it. It was weird.

Comment

OP here, I was looking to keep things vague intentionally, but since you made so many inferences from my post, I'll clarify.

-My daughter's U10 team is not the reason she committed, but joining a stronger program that focused on kids who showed potential over focusing on kids that their daughter wanted to invite over for a play date, is.
                    -Was my kid better than little Suzie & her friends? 100%. That's not parent goggles, that's a coach from the original club suggesting that my daughter "play up" with his team because he'd seen her at practice and felt she would "get bored" on the team with little Suzie's daddy. He was floored when we told him she rode the bench and only played the amount of minutes that were deemed "mandatory" for every player on the team.
                    -I called my daughter and a few others "outliers" because they were, they weren't part of little Suzie's friend group.
                    -Yes, other players parents vented their frustration that another club had "poached" players. I don't know why. Nobody thought they were anything special when they were on the team, but once they were gone-people were up in arms about it. It was weird.
                    Lemme guess Little Suzie will play softball for a d3 school and gave up soccer at 12.

Comment

Lemme guess Little Suzie will play softball for a d3 school and gave up soccer at 12.
                      Something like that, but I'm not looking to comment on the kid...she was a kid. It's more a commentary on how there's politics almost everywhere and that maybe those crying that kids are getting "poached" at 9/10 years old should realize there are many reasons why kids might leave a team at that age.

Comment

Something like that, but I'm not looking to comment on the kid...she was a kid. It's more a commentary on how there's politics almost everywhere and that maybe those crying that kids are getting "poached" at 9/10 years old should realize there are many reasons why kids might leave a team at that age.
                        No one is crying Karen, just trying to have a discussion about the unhealthy practices of poaching young kids.

Comment

No one is crying Karen, just trying to have a discussion about the unhealthy practices of poaching young kids.
                          Lol, the author of the Soccer Wire article is the ULTIMATE Karen:Soccer Mom Edition...

And anyone who actually types the phrase "unhealthy practices of poaching young kids" in all sincerity and earnest, isn't too far behind. You're talking about little kids kicking a freaking ball!!! Come on Karen, get over it!

Comment

Lol, the author of the Soccer Wire article is the ULTIMATE Karen:Soccer Mom Edition...

And anyone who actually types the phrase "unhealthy practices of poaching young kids" in all sincerity and earnest, isn't too far behind. You're talking about little kids kicking a freaking ball!!! Come on Karen, get over it!
                            OK Karen, we all know how special and gifted your kid is...... until she gets cut..... then you will come on here and blame everyone else and cry about how your 'new' club gives you no loyalty as she just wants to play with her friends.

Comment

OK Karen, we all know how special and gifted your kid is...... until she gets cut..... then you will come on here and blame everyone else and cry about how your 'new' club gives you no loyalty as she just wants to play with her friends.
                              Your mother is a Karen for having you.

Comment

Well considering she's a rising Senior and focusing on prepping for her college program, it would be a little odd if she got cut from her team at this point. And the "just wants to play with her friends" line is ridiculous. She does play with her friends, just not the friends she sits next to in English class...

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X