Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the college letter of intent the 'worst contract in American sports'?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    That guy is all about justifying why his kid went the D3 route, why bother. Who actually gives a crap about the name and reps of the schools, they don't actually matter for anything other than bragging rights to guys like him. Unless your kid can actually compete in the classroom wherever they go (compensating for the soccer commitment of course) the name and rep won't make a bit of difference.
    Apparently you give a crap.

Comment

The top 20 academic schools in the country are probably about 1/2 D1 and 1/2 D3.
      50 of the top 100 are D3.

Comment

D1 schools have much more programs to offer, that's what I generally found with my son. He wants to go into engineering and bigger schools generally have better engineering programs.

D3 seems to be more into liberal arts degrees.

Comment

Right, like a MIT or RPI bad engineering - mostly liberal arts D3 schools ...

Comment

Right, like a MIT or RPI bad engineering - mostly liberal arts D3 schools ...
            thats 2 schools....

Comment

thats 2 schools....
              MIT, CalTech, Carnegie Mellon and RPI. All D3. Find four better engineering schools than those. The first two are tops in the country by a mile.

Comment

MIT, CalTech, Carnegie Mellon and RPI. All D3. Find four better engineering schools than those. The first two are tops in the country by a mile.
                Stanford, UC Berkeley, UCLA, Virginia Tech, University of Michigan, Cornell, Princeton... the list goes on. Any flagship state school has pretty good engineering programs.

Comment

Stanford, UC Berkeley, UCLA, Virginia Tech, University of Michigan, Cornell, Princeton... the list goes on. Any flagship state school has pretty good engineering programs.
                  No one ever said that there weren't other good schools. The creme de la creme just happen to be D3s in this case. Don't forget, Engineering was picked as the discipline in which D1s would compare favorably.

A better example would have been laboratory sciences. The giant state schools with mammoth medical complexes attached would offer opportunities few D3 institutions could match. In the classic liberal arts departments the top D3s are obviously as strong as any big school.

Comment

And...

UCLA
                    UVA
                    Michigan
                    Rice
                    USC
                    UNC
                    BC
                    Not any of the OP's but will readily admit my ignorance at the complete list of D1 schools so I took a look (just starting the process with our oldest, have another coming up next year). http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/soccer-men/d1

Yes there are some fantastic schools on the list that I would love my kids to attend. But there's also plenty you've never heard and/or are not strong academically. The good news is there is a wide variety from top to bottom so if D1 is THE GOAL for a player then there may be a program that works for them. For our family it's all about the education. Our kids are good but the pros aren't in the cards by any stretch of the imagination. Finding the right academic program is key - playing decent soccer is a bonus.

Comment

Give it up, this person is simply about proving that the D3 school where his kid went to school was such a better decision than anyone else has ever made here. This is all because they cannot answer in a logical and sane way why anyone would commit all of the time, family capital, and money chasing club soccer when their kids aren't on the D1 track if not for parental ego. You have to know that with this person success is a fancy bauble. It means big name soccer clubs, exotic vacations, chic wines, impressive colleges for the kids, expensive cars and houses. It's how they keep score. They have a pathological need to prove to the world that they and everything associated with them is just better. What irks them about TS is others won a game that they never could because their kids weren't actually good enough chase the D1 dream and so now they spend untold hours here diminishing everything about that D1 dream and those who chase it to feed their ego. Talk about a tired and worn out agenda.

The discussion is about D1 sports and the issues related to athletic scholarships. The D3's don't matter in it simply because they don't offer athletic scholarships.

Comment

Not any of the OP's but will readily admit my ignorance at the complete list of D1 schools so I took a look (just starting the process with our oldest, have another coming up next year). http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/soccer-men/d1

Yes there are some fantastic schools on the list that I would love my kids to attend. But there's also plenty you've never heard and/or are not strong academically. The good news is there is a wide variety from top to bottom so if D1 is THE GOAL for a player then there may be a program that works for them. For our family it's all about the education. Our kids are good but the pros aren't in the cards by any stretch of the imagination. Finding the right academic program is key - playing decent soccer is a bonus.
                        You mean you don't want your kid going to Central Arkansas or Akron? What's wrong with you man?!

Comment

You are one of the typical types that gets engaged about your price points and how much you value that education over your wallet. You, and people like you, are why so much time gets spent here discussing whether a school like Tufts, without an athletic scholarship, is better than a school like Holy Cross even with an athletic scholarship. Believe it or not there was actually a thread last winter that went on for days about that. It is a silly argument because the best education a family can afford is the best choice for most. It is only the hedonistic whack jobs who refuse to factor in the net cost of the education in their little platform speeches.

Comment

Give it up, this person is simply about proving that the D3 school where his kid went to school was such a better decision than anyone else has ever made here....
                            And you're still trying to prove that steering your kid to the likes of FDU and MCLA, when much better schools were available, was an excellent parental decision?

Comment

And you're still trying to prove that steering your kid to the likes of FDU and MCLA, when much better schools were available, was an excellent parental decision?
                              Better? and for who?

Comment

Better? and for who?
                                And still trying. Of course, no one is buying such "hedonistic" relativism.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X