Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the end goal?

My son is in a top youth club team with a crazy practice schedule and ups and downs in terms of confidence, performance, and drive.

I'm sitting here wondering what is the end goal? Potentially a small scholarship (won't offset what we've paid in club fees/travel)? Bragging rights (if any)? Pro (little chance and MLS pays diddly)?

I guess it's just for fun & sport/health, but kind of expensive for that.

Feeling a bit depressed about it all and the season is just starting! I know, first world pansy problems.

Also it's too hot to practice, and pretty soon it'll be too cold/rainy to practice, lol.

I'm thinking basketball is a better option. Maybe next year.

Fun.

Costs less than skiing and is more enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      My son is in a top youth club team with a crazy practice schedule and ups and downs in terms of confidence, performance, and drive.

I'm sitting here wondering what is the end goal? Potentially a small scholarship (won't offset what we've paid in club fees/travel)? Bragging rights (if any)? Pro (little chance and MLS pays diddly)?

Feeling a bit depressed about it all and the season is just starting! I know, first world pansy problems.

Also it's too hot to practice, and pretty soon it'll be too cold/rainy to practice, lol.

You're right about all that.

That said, I have a child who absolutely, positively loves the sport. She'd rather be playing soccer than just about anything else. Finding coaches and teammates that love it as much as she does only happened for us on her club team. Town soccer didn't cut it. Your mileage may vary.

If your son doesn't have a true passion, then I agree. Why do it? There certainly won't be a ROI financially for the vast majority. My other child has no need for a club team, as he gets just as much joy on his $100 a year rec team as my D gets on her expensive club team. Different kids, different solutions.

Comment

End goal is usually the one at the away end...

Comment

What is the end goal?

in no particular order:

learn teamwork
          learn winning and losing
          learn hard work and practice
          learn time management
          exercise and fitness
          develop healthy habits for life

If very lucky, maybe some help with college admissions or costs

Along the way, i enjoy watching my kid play the game

Comment

Why does everyone always think there needs to be a endgame. I'm nearly 50 and I still drag my ass out on the field twice a week. It's about the journey, not the end. Just enjoy the time on the field. My only hope is I'm watching my 50 yr old kids play the game we all love from my wheelchair some day.

Comment

Why does everyone always think there needs to be a endgame. I'm nearly 50 and I still drag my ass out on the field twice a week. It's about the journey, not the end. Just enjoy the time on the field. My only hope is I'm watching my 50 yr old kids play the game we all love from my wheelchair some day.
              You are right to some extent, however,for you soccer is your side show. It is part of your larger fitness and social plan whose end goals are fitness and friends. So, yes....your soccer journey is important but still has end goals. However, for you, soccer is not your big game. Assuming you are still working, your big priority is providing for your family. While this also has a journey it also has end goals. When the journey ends, you are going to want to feel that you reached those end goals.

Anyone who tells you it ‘is all about the journey’ simply hasn’t reached the end yet.

The journey of Youth sports creates a socially developed, fit athlete that has learned to work and communicate within a network that experiences ups and downs and learns how to overcome adversity. They may even become a leader. Hopefully, this all happens without too much emotional and physical trauma. At some point.....perhaps as an interim ‘end-goal’....you look up and say ‘holy sh——t’!!’ ‘Look what your child has become.!!!’

Comment

You are right to some extent, however,for you soccer is your side show. It is part of your larger fitness and social plan whose end goals are fitness and friends. So, yes....your soccer journey is important but still has end goals. However, for you, soccer is not your big game. Assuming you are still working, your big priority is providing for your family. While this also has a journey it also has end goals. When the journey ends, you are going to want to feel that you reached those end goals.

Anyone who tells you it ‘is all about the journey’ simply hasn’t reached the end yet.

The journey of Youth sports creates a socially developed, fit athlete that has learned to work and communicate within a network that experiences ups and downs and learns how to overcome adversity. They may even become a leader. Hopefully, this all happens without too much emotional and physical trauma. At some point.....perhaps as an interim ‘end-goal’....you look up and say ‘holy sh——t’!!’ ‘Look what your child has become.!!!’
                If you cant say that regardless of what your child becomes as a result then you are a worthless POS

Comment

And that moment should come as a result of ecucation, not sports.

The sports community has convinced all of us that it is more important than education, going so far as to offer sports management degrees-what the hell is that? Learn to manage an empty stadium, Colin Kaepernick or wear a mascot uniform?
                  Sports are a side show and for the vast majority of us, should be nothing more.
                  Yet, parents are more upset with their kid’s coach than their kid’s teacher.
                  The charlatans are running the world, not the educators. That is a problem.

Comment

And that moment should come as a result of ecucation, not sports.

The sports community has convinced all of us that it is more important than education, going so far as to offer sports management degrees-what the hell is that? Learn to manage an empty stadium, Colin Kaepernick or wear a mascot uniform?
                    Sports are a side show and for the vast majority of us, should be nothing more.
                    Yet, parents are more upset with their kid’s coach than their kid’s teacher.
                    The charlatans are running the world, not the educators. That is a problem.
                    Extracurricular activities are a great adjunct to education be it sports, drama, part time jobs ect. Often classroom work is individual and doesn't foster collaboration team work, and ability to deal with conflict which are important life skills

Comment

What does HE want? Its his path not yours. Does he want to play in college? Is that even a realisitic goal? What level? I suggest you take a look at the annual commitment list to see where players like him end up. Where do his passions lie? It sounds like he's in middle school and many kids switch gears in high school. The good news if college isn't really the goal you can scale back in HS. He might get away with only playing HS or doing a club that is less costly and intensive.

No one should ever be doing this for a financial payout. Always always always keep the grades up. That will offer more opportunities than sports.

Comment

Extracurricular activities are a great adjunct to education be it sports, drama, part time jobs ect. Often classroom work is individual and doesn't foster collaboration team work, and ability to deal with conflict which are important life skills
                        Fan of school ball for those benefits as imperfect as it is. Funded by the community for the kids in the community. If u want to buy the luxury version that is fine but it leaves out too many kids. Playing is important, not winning. These kids are not pros

Comment

So, nobody can be successful in this world unless they’ve been on a sports team? 😉😉😉

Comment

So, nobody can be successful in this world unless they’ve been on a sports team? 😉😉😉
                            Extracurricular activities, like drama , part time jobs as stated in the post you replied to are not sports teams as you implied

Comment

You should have spent more time in school on reading comprehension.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X