Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    That is your opinion, and your opinion alone. The value of a prep school is not simply entry into a top college. The foundation and preparation skills they learn will last them a lifetime.
    So, don't be a brand name guy. Can your kid play D1?
    Depends on the school too - not all prep schools are that great. Also not all students will do well in prep school. You still need the grades and test scores to get into the top schools, prep or public.

Comment

That is your opinion, and your opinion alone. The value of a prep school is not simply entry into a top college. The foundation and preparation skills they learn will last them a lifetime.
      So, don't be a brand name guy. Can your kid play D1?
      I had a nephew in a highly acclaimed prep. My sister told me the experience was dominated by drugs, booze, entitlement and apologists. I agree that those are some good life lessons. He did fairly well and ended up going to a university that was on my son's safety school list.

Comment

I had a nephew in a highly acclaimed prep. My sister told me the experience was dominated by drugs, booze, entitlement and apologists. I agree that those are some good life lessons. He did fairly well and ended up going to a university that was on my son's safety school list.

Well that's unfortunate. All schools cannot be lumped into the same category public and prep alike. What one student takes away from their experience will differ from another.

My students have done rather well, so I would pay for prep again and again. Prep (in most cases) offers a more well rounded education than the local option. Yes, they did have to dodge some of the dicey situations mentioned above; life lessons. It's everywhere and not to be avoided. They too have traveled far, have many friends domestic and international, exposure to a broad range of experiential learning, and a place on highly competitive teams facilitated by very knowledgeable coaches. Preparedness - thus prep school.

Oh yes, my prep school alum, pedestrian college alum is attending medical school. So there's that.

Comment

Well that's unfortunate. All schools cannot be lumped into the same category public and prep alike. What one student takes away from their experience will differ from another.

My students have done rather well, so I would pay for prep again and again. Prep (in most cases) offers a more well rounded education than the local option. Yes, they did have to dodge some of the dicey situations mentioned above; life lessons. It's everywhere and not to be avoided. They too have traveled far, have many friends domestic and international, exposure to a broad range of experiential learning, and a place on highly competitive teams facilitated by very knowledgeable coaches. Preparedness - thus prep school.

Oh yes, my prep school alum, pedestrian college alum is attending medical school. So there's that.
          I wish them luck. I don't know very many happy doctors.

Comment

There are drugs in all schools, first of all.

Of course there are widely varying prep school experiences and levels of excellence, just as there are in public schools.

It is harder to get into a top college from prep school than public school, because there is a push to give less preference to outwardly privileged kids. (I say that because the upper class still is wildly overrepresented in top colleges, but this is a topic for another thread).

The academics and the broadening of ones horizons are better at a top prep school than any public high school. (Not saying it's good, but when the school has its own observatory/electron microscope/piano that costs $500,000 etc etc etc public schools cannot compete. (not, by the way, saying this is a good thing).

The soccer is DA level (speaking of top prep schools). They have basically professional coaches, assistant coaches, trainers, connections to college coaches.

Comment

I'd prefer my kids be exposured to a large cross section of racial and socioeconomic populations rather than rich white kids in a bubble.

Comment

I'd prefer my kids be exposured to a large cross section of racial and socioeconomic populations rather than rich white kids in a bubble.
                I happen to be sitting in a prep school's dining hall as I write this. I'd guess that no more than 40 percent of the students in the room with me are white.

But carry on with your prejudices.

Comment

Prep schools are way more diverse because they pull from all over. A top public high school is likely to be in a wealthy suburb and only pulls from that wealthy suburb.

Comment

I happen to be sitting in a prep school's dining hall as I write this. I'd guess that no more than 40 percent of the students in the room with me are white.

But carry on with your prejudices.
                    How many German cars are in the student lot?

Comment

back to the subject please...

D1

Connor Haskell, Revs, Xavier
                      Gunnar Siegel, Bolts, High Point
                      Kevin Vang, Revs, Providence
                      John Siracuse, Bolts, Holy Cross
                      Matt Leigh, NEFC , St Marks, UPenn
                      Ohad Yahalom, Revs, Dartmouth
                      Christian Garner, NEFC, Brooks, Boston College
                      Timothy Ennin, Revs, Connecticut
                      Tyler Stott, Westboro, NEFC, Boston College
                      Andrew Stevens, GPS, Brooks, Columbia
                      ^Dylan Curran, Bolts, Providence
                      ^Andrew Chisolm, Bayside Bolts, Providence

Comment

Prep schools are way more diverse because they pull from all over. A top public high school is likely to be in a wealthy suburb and only pulls from that wealthy suburb.

You are absolutely correct. Private schools have all the privileged and wealthy kids across different religions and races. They do, however, share a fair bit of snobbery and 'silver-spoon' like bringing up....otherwise, lets hear it for diversity in the private schools!!!

Comment

You are absolutely correct. Private schools have all the privileged and wealthy kids across different religions and races. They do, however, share a fair bit of snobbery and 'silver-spoon' like bringing up....otherwise, lets hear it for diversity in the private schools!!!
                          ever been to Wellesley HS ? How about Weston or Dover-Sherborn?

Comment

Top prep schools have endowments in the hundreds of millions of dollars. They can be generous with financial aid. Some international kids are rich, and some get a full ride. My kid was friends with two boys from Palestinian refugee camps. No silver spoon in their upbringing, not by a long shot.

Comment

D1

Connor Haskell, Revs, Xavier
                              Gunnar Siegel, Bolts, High Point
                              Kevin Vang, Revs, Providence
                              John Siracuse, Bolts, Holy Cross
                              Matt Leigh, NEFC , St Marks, UPenn
                              Ohad Yahalom, Revs, Dartmouth
                              Christian Garner, NEFC, Brooks, Boston College
                              Timothy Ennin, Revs, Connecticut
                              Tyler Stott, Westboro, NEFC, Boston College
                              Andrew Stevens, GPS, Brooks, Columbia
                              Dylan Curran, Bolts, Providence
                              Andrew Chisolm, Bayside Bolts, Providence
                              Nate Cole, GPS Boston University
                              Alec Szwarcewicz, GPS, Holy Cross

Comment

Nate Cole, GPS Boston University
                                Alec Szwarcewicz, GPS, Holy Cross
                                Nate Cole, GPS, Worcester Academy, Boston University
                                Alec Szwarcewicz, GPS, Newton South HS, Holy Cross

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X