X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recruiting advice

Hi -
    This may be posted elsewhere, but I'm trying to get some recruiting advice for my son.
    Do you need to tell the coach during an unofficial visit if you are looking at other schools? What's the benefit of telling them, if any?
    What if they ask you?
    Say there aren't any other schools interested but you're trying to maximize scholarship money? What do you say?
    If the parents have a meeting with the coach and they offer my son half a ride, but we feel he should get more, what's the best way to discuss it?

Thanks for the advice!

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hi -
    This may be posted elsewhere, but I'm trying to get some recruiting advice for my son.
    Do you need to tell the coach during an unofficial visit if you are looking at other schools? What's the benefit of telling them, if any?
    What if they ask you?
    Say there aren't any other schools interested but you're trying to maximize scholarship money? What do you say?
    If the parents have a meeting with the coach and they offer my son half a ride, but we feel he should get more, what's the best way to discuss it?

Thanks for the advice!
    Get a life

Comment

Say he will go to half the practices

Comment

Hi -
        What if they ask you?

Thanks for the advice!
        I’ll bite! You will not get an offer at an unofficial visit and most likely you won’t get one at all. Despite what folks say, most athletic money come after freshman year. Be truthful when asked about other schools, coaches all talk and usually know!

Comment

Definitely be truthful about the other schools. They do all talk and they want to know who they're competing against and what level you think you have a shot at.

Money talk sometimes comes at visits, sometimes later. A half ride for a male freshman is on the high end. Men's programs only have 9.9 scholarships to divide up across 25+ players. If there's any international players they get the money first. Super studs also get the most; it's never equitable. Even without any internationals that's not a lot of $ to split and it assumes the program is fully funded (some have less than 9.9 scholarships). Once he gets an offer coaches will give you some time to consider but not forever, usually a few weeks. Understandably they need to move on to another player if you're not going to take it. It can get very tricky - one school could give you an offer quickly, another may take another month or two. Coaches want to think their program is their first choice so tread carefully if you're trying to stall. Whatever you get offered, there's not much room for negotiating. You can ask if perhaps the school can sweeten the offer with some merit money (which is preferred because it sticks for all four years). No matter what always pick the school that your kid loves and is the best academic fit.

Take the time to really explore the school and the fit, and what your son thinks of the coach. Let your son do the talking and answering the coach's questions. Observe how they interact - does the coach seem genuinely interested in your son or is he going through the motions?

Comment

Hi -
            What if they ask you?

Thanks for the advice!
            Geezus, look the f%@#$g thing up!!!
            This thread repeats every 2 days

Half a ride? And you feel?
            What planet are you from?

Comment

Hi -
              What if they ask you?

Thanks for the advice!
              Oh, please tell them. I’m sure they’ll offer you more...

Unless your kid is in 6th grade and he’s starting on the V, go away.

Comment

Definitely be truthful about the other schools. They do all talk and they want to know who they're competing against and what level you think you have a shot at.

Money talk sometimes comes at visits, sometimes later. A half ride for a male freshman is on the high end. Men's programs only have 9.9 scholarships to divide up across 25+ players. If there's any international players they get the money first. Super studs also get the most; it's never equitable. Even without any internationals that's not a lot of $ to split and it assumes the program is fully funded (some have less than 9.9 scholarships). Once he gets an offer coaches will give you some time to consider but not forever, usually a few weeks. Understandably they need to move on to another player if you're not going to take it. It can get very tricky - one school could give you an offer quickly, another may take another month or two. Coaches want to think their program is their first choice so tread carefully if you're trying to stall. Whatever you get offered, there's not much room for negotiating. You can ask if perhaps the school can sweeten the offer with some merit money (which is preferred because it sticks for all four years). No matter what always pick the school that your kid loves and is the best academic fit.

Take the time to really explore the school and the fit, and what your son thinks of the coach. Let your son do the talking and answering the coach's questions. Observe how they interact - does the coach seem genuinely interested in your son or is he going through the motions?
                Thank you for your well thought out response. I appreciate it. For the other idiots who care more about putting others down, get a life!

Comment

Thank you for your well thought out response. I appreciate it. For the other idiots who care more about putting others down, get a life!
                  To come to this site and expect a legitimate response shows you need a bit more understanding, laddie.
                  Again, look it up elsewhere.

Comment

To come to this site and expect a legitimate response shows you need a bit more understanding, laddie.
                    Again, look it up elsewhere.
                    Thank you squire! I got great advice. I just needed to read through the angry negative posts first. Thanks for your input.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    Working...
                    X