Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Club hoppers are the worst kind of parent. Nothing is ever good enough but 9 times out of 10 their kid just isn't as good as they think. It mostly ends badly, with the kid flat lining or dropping out altogether. Yet, it happens all the time.
    This has nothing to do with how talented my kid is. We are the parents who watch every training session, see exactly what is happening on a daily basis and therefore know exactly what is lacking. If the other parents actually paid attention they would see the same thing we do. Parents who are not involved are not going to help the team, we are doing them a favor by pushing for this change and holding the club accountable. We would never consider ourselves club hoppers, this is only our second club because the first was a total bust and we won't let that experience repeat itself.

Comment

Yall think that your situation is the same as every situation.
      I love the comment about club hoppers and that 9/10 kids aren't any good. I also like the comment about it's the players that sit who's parents are complaining.

lets say that your start out at I9 soccer only to realize that your wasting your money. You join an AYSO club and find out that your kid is better than that. You join a local club with a better name....lets say sunrise. you kid plays there a year or two and now you want ECNL or DA. That means another move. How many moves is that to get your kid to the level that they can grow? It doesn't mean you are a bad player or parent. It just means that you are looking for a good fit.

In my experience, the parents, who's player sits, usually know why they are on the bench. Good for your team if they have 18 talented starters on one team. The complaining parents are the ones who's kid is good and the coach isn't making them better.

Comment

Yet another Get Rid of Scott Armstrong post!

A handful of us are banding together to try and get our coach removed.
        We do not like his coaching style and have made it clear, as a group, that we will leave mid-season if a replacement coach is not granted to us.

The team is actually a very good team and we have picked up some great players recently which have really moved this team forward from where it was.
        But us leaving will leave the team short handed so the club is strongly considering our request.

We feel with adequate training we can and should be even better and from watching the training we can tell that it is not great. Other teams have the best coaches but not ours and that is not fair. The coach is also mean at times.

Has anyone here successfully forced out a coach mid-season or seen it done?

We are tired of reading about Scott Armstrong on this forum. We know everyone wants him gone, but hey he is untouchable no matter what he does or does not do.

Comment

This has nothing to do with how talented my kid is. We are the parents who watch every training session, see exactly what is happening on a daily basis and therefore know exactly what is lacking. If the other parents actually paid attention they would see the same thing we do. Parents who are not involved are not going to help the team, we are doing them a favor by pushing for this change and holding the club accountable. We would never consider ourselves club hoppers, this is only our second club because the first was a total bust and we won't let that experience repeat itself.
          Again, why are you and other parents qualified to critique a coach? What is your experience coaching or even playing?

Comment

Yall think that your situation is the same as every situation.
            I love the comment about club hoppers and that 9/10 kids aren't any good. I also like the comment about it's the players that sit who's parents are complaining.

lets say that your start out at I9 soccer only to realize that your wasting your money. You join an AYSO club and find out that your kid is better than that. You join a local club with a better name....lets say sunrise. you kid plays there a year or two and now you want ECNL or DA. That means another move. How many moves is that to get your kid to the level that they can grow? It doesn't mean you are a bad player or parent. It just means that you are looking for a good fit.

In my experience, the parents, who's player sits, usually know why they are on the bench. Good for your team if they have 18 talented starters on one team. The complaining parents are the ones who's kid is good and the coach isn't making them better.
            There's parents who move their kids for the right reason - to move up the ladder as you describe. However, not all of them are good judges of their own kids talent and they push them up further than they should be. Then the kid sits and is unhappy BUT the parent's intentions were at least in the right place.

Then there's the parents who are never satisfied (usually with PT or this guy saying he just doesn't like what the coach is doing) or think another coach will somehow "get" their kid and transform them. Those are the ones that tend to be club hoppers in the worst sense. Those are the ones whose kids usually aren't very good or don't listen to the coach or don't put in the work to get better.

Comment

Again, why are you and other parents qualified to critique a coach? What is your experience coaching or even playing?
              Exactly!! You know what makes them qualified to complain? They write the checks that pay the DOCs for not doing a thing.

Comment

Exactly!! You know what makes them qualified to complain? They write the checks that pay the DOCs for not doing a thing.
                Let me guess u9?

Comment

one of these days most of you will learn that developing soccer players is not about wins. Hell yeah we want to win that is why we play the game. I would rather have a coach train the team touch, passing and technical skills. in time this will lead to wins. Little jonny may be faster than anyone on the field but he cant handle a firm pass to his feet or beat tommy one on one his speed means nothing. This game is so much more than putting the ball in the back of the net.

Comment

one of these days most of you will learn that developing soccer players is not about wins. Hell yeah we want to win that is why we play the game. I would rather have a coach train the team touch, passing and technical skills. in time this will lead to wins. Little jonny may be faster than anyone on the field but he cant handle a firm pass to his feet or beat tommy one on one his speed means nothing. This game is so much more than putting the ball in the back of the net.
                    Just win baby

Comment

But at the same time it is still all about putting it into the net

Comment

The handful of us having been at various clubs and on various teams both good and bad and having watched countless hours of training over the years know what good training looks like and also what bad training looks like as well. Additionally, what I have not mentioned as well as the coach sometimes puts the players in the wrong positions. He switched them around from their natural positions and one time the other team almost came back and won the game. Also the coach is not a good communicator to the parents, he does not interact with us much. Just a number of factors all adding up that necessitate an immediate change.

Comment

OH Boy the only thing a coach should communicate to the parents is when and where you are driving your child. In fact that is the team managers job. A coach should be there to train your child. As far as playing other positions that is great then your child may actually see the challenges the other positions face. and honestly who care if you lose a game.

Comment

OH Boy the only thing a coach should communicate to the parents is when and where you are driving your child. In fact that is the team managers job. A coach should be there to train your child. As far as playing other positions that is great then your child may actually see the challenges the other positions face. and honestly who care if you lose a game.
                            As a coach I disagree. Part of your job is customer service. I always speak with concerned parents after the player has spoken with me first. They don't always like what I have to say, but they at least know their concerns were heard.

Comment

As a coach I disagree. Part of your job is customer service. I always speak with concerned parents after the player has spoken with me first. They don't always like what I have to say, but they at least know their concerns were heard.
                              As a coach I disagree. I don't want to hear parents crying to me about why their kid isn't seeing more playing time. I don't want to hear your opinion on why we lost a game. I don't want to hear how they could do better. Parents should drop their kid off at practice and pick them up after I'm done. They should watch from the sidelines and keep their mouths shut.
                              Signed,
                              "Every coach I have ever known"

Comment

I also think it is important as a coach to provide some insight into the roadmap for development. One of the things I saw in this string was a criticism of putting kids out of their natural positions causing the team to lose. Well, if the team is on the younger side, that is a good thing the coach is doing, not a bad thing. If the coach communicates the importance of cross-training as well as putting kids in challenging positions to see how they deal with it, perhaps the disgruntled parents would understand why that might fit into development vs. chasing trophies. Also, I have often heard parents complain that coaches aren't focused on shooting enough when a team might go into a scoring drought. Well, perhaps it is good to educate the parents on the need to first develop the ability to possess as a team, then create opportunities, followed by working on finishing... and how finishing is often better done at the younger ages in small groups, not in full training sessions.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X