Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Club soccer is all about parents finding the team/level at which their kid can be a star. Its not about challenging your kid to get better. One could argue that the best sitaution for some kis would be NOT to start but have a realistic chance of earning that by improving over time.

Its the unwritten reason behind the whole HS thing. Its a level at which many more kids can be "relevant" The social argument is way overblown.

as a society, hard work and earning things is now so passe. I want it now
    I agree with this. My kid is a starter, and as they bring in other players for next year none are at her position. I wish it were different. She should be challenged to get better. They should be looking over their shoulder and play like someone is trying to take their job.

BUT...there must be a reward at some point. If you are not performing, and not getting time, then it's time to reconsider. Sooner I know that the better so I can get off this ride and save some $$

Comment

If you are not a guaranteed starter, the. ECNL is better for sure. The substitutuion rules of DA are not conducive to developing players who are on the bench. Also, is your daughter interested in playing high school?
      This is almost comical since I had kids that played both. From my observation, the GDA substitution rules are actually enforcing more play time. I've seen kids on the ECNL teams that:
      - never start, or never even dress for a game
      - play less than 5 minutes a 1/2

Comment

Being a guaranteed starter on a crap team doesn't do much for you either. More training days of bad training? That's why you pick the club with the best coaching, strongest teammates and best fit for your play (HS or not? Travel and costs are similar) regardless of the league
        Yes, but if you are on the bench NDA, you won’t get much playing time due to the substitution rules of once you are in and out you can’t go back in.

Comment

Yes, but if you are on the bench NDA, you won’t get much playing time due to the substitution rules of once you are in and out you can’t go back in.
          Bench players in da don’t get the opportunity to improve and develop since they don’t get relevant and consistent gamtime. Also, come on to the guy who wants his kid challenged. Really? Challenged to the point that they don’t lose most of their minutes. If you believe otherwise, you are the minority.

Comment

Bench players in da don’t get the opportunity to improve and develop since they don’t get relevant and consistent gamtime. Also, come on to the guy who wants his kid challenged. Really? Challenged to the point that they don’t lose most of their minutes. If you believe otherwise, you are the minority.
            Maybe I'm in the minority, but if I am then there's something wrong with the majority I think. Why don't you want your children pushed?

I'd like to know if she can handle it and rise to the top. If she can't, please god, tell me now. She'll then find the right league for where she should be out and, likely, I'll save some cash.

Comment

Maybe I'm in the minority, but if I am then there's something wrong with the majority I think. Why don't you want your children pushed?

I'd like to know if she can handle it and rise to the top. If she can't, please god, tell me now. She'll then find the right league for where she should be out and, likely, I'll save some cash.
              Truth!! I feel the same way. Each kid u14 and above should know that they are competing for their spot each practice/game.

That's how you gauge how your kid can handle a little adversity and try to improve. The worst thing at those ages are the kids with guaranteed playing time and no motivation to improve.

Comment

Truth!! I feel the same way. Each kid u14 and above should know that they are competing for their spot each practice/game.

That's how you gauge how your kid can handle a little adversity and try to improve. The worst thing at those ages are the kids with guaranteed playing time and no motivation to improve.
                not the case in many places though. Politics guarantees spots. coaches don't really have ids competing for spots and if they miss practices no repercussions.

Comment

This is almost comical since I had kids that played both. From my observation, the GDA substitution rules are actually enforcing more play time. I've seen kids on the ECNL teams that:
                  - never start, or never even dress for a game
                  - play less than 5 minutes a 1/2
                  how about gda. play 5 minutes or not at all for games. and no development.

Comment

how about gda. play 5 minutes or not at all for games. and no development.
                    It can happen with both and will always varyby coach. But GDA rules makes subbing much more restrictive

Comment

It can happen with both and will always varyby coach. But GDA rules makes subbing much more restrictive
                      these debates descend into arguments over technicalities. Bottom line is poor players are not going to play much. Playing is unlikely to make them better. if your debating kids who do not have the ability to start for a GDA team, then you should be asking yourself why soccer at that level - ECNL or GDA ?

Thats the issue here. if you are willing to pay, someone will take your money

Comment

these debates descend into arguments over technicalities. Bottom line is poor players are not going to play much. Playing is unlikely to make them better. if your debating kids who do not have the ability to start for a GDA team, then you should be asking yourself why soccer at that level - ECNL or GDA ?

Thats the issue here. if you are willing to pay, someone will take your money
                        Same could be said of starters. So they start on a GDA or ECNL team. And? That means they belong playing soccer at that level? Ability is only the half of it. Lots of good players have zero business spending all that time and money to play "high level" youth soccer. It is as much about the travel and the money as about ability and desire and drive.

Comment

Same could be said of starters. So they start on a GDA or ECNL team. And? That means they belong playing soccer at that level? Ability is only the half of it. Lots of good players have zero business spending all that time and money to play "high level" youth soccer. It is as much about the travel and the money as about ability and desire and drive.
                          The starters ARE the level. We can debate whether it should be higher

Comment

It is pay to play kid sports. If you accept the money, then you accept that level of play. Period.

If you want a higher level then don't take money from lower level players.

Comment

It is pay to play kid sports. If you accept the money, then you accept that level of play. Period.

If you want a higher level then don't take money from lower level players.
                              That works when there's an infinite supply of quality players. There isn't. Filling spots 15-22 are a necessity to a club's health

Comment

That works when there's an infinite supply of quality players. There isn't. Filling spots 15-22 are a necessity to a club's health
                                So fill the spots, play the game and dont whine about the level of play. How was the level of play last year with last year's crop of players in any of these leagues at any of the age groups? Don't remember or care? Well neither does anybody else because that is not the point. These are businesses in the business of providing soccer lessons to children. The level of play is not important to running the business successfully. If it were, how would so many low level teams and clubs go on and on and on and on.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X