Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Post the commitments for the girls graduating in 2019 and 2020.

A team of U17 girls on a high level club team should be largely committed by now. That's great that they are the featured game but recruiting is a results oriented business.

If Oakwood doesn't have a decent outcome with these two classes it would seem that others are going to follow down this path. If its more Hartford, Holy Cross and Endicott, I can assure that kids don't need pass on High school athletics to play at these levels.

Instead of chat board rhetoric, show me where top female players in CT are passing on the ECNL and coming to Portland to be part of this. If these teams weren't split age groups they wouldn't even be as strong as the prior NPL teams

You can post away but frankly I don't think you are kidding anyone. This is an option for players that can't make the ECNL team at CFC and for whatever reason don't want to deal with FSA.

Glad the officiating and video taping is going well.
    I think you've boiled it down pretty good. As a parent of an 8th and 6th grade daughter, I'm waiting to see how this out. Are kids driving up to Oakwood to be in the academy?

What are the selling points of this for good players that don't dream of the National team?

If Oakwood training is superior why not just play for their NPL team and still participate in school sports?

Comment

Your naivete is really adorable!
      The great thing about higher level youth soccer is that you have clear results at the end of the day. How many kids play the game beyond U18?

The class of 2018 was too late to benefit from any of the perceived advantages of this platform. 2019 and 2020 are a different story. The kids that made the sacrifices should without a doubt be starting to find success on the recruiting front. In fact, 2019s are done. Recruited athletes go early decision were just signed. Let's see it. No more excuses, posts from the Daddy coaches or over eager parents.

Comment

So my daughter is at Oakwood having given up Highschool soccer, and while it is not right for everyone it was definitely right for her. I am not saying we are best but as an experience here are a few things I can tell you in regards to her and her teammates experience.

1. 4 practice sessions and 1 game a week is real and is certainly part of the reason our team has not struggled with muscle/ligament injurys be.
        OW practices 3 days/week.

2. Training sessions are 90 minutes and they all seem to be pre=planned with "no scrimmaging"
        While practices shouldn't rely heavily on scrimmaging they still are an important part of the process

3. Officiating at games is exponentially better than anything seen at other levels
        Since you were likely at a lower level before it's not surprising you'd think this

4. EVERY game is professionally videotaped with easy to navigate editing tools
        yippeee. Other teams have figured out ways to tape games for years.

5. Every college coach my daughter has reached out to has come in person or sent someone to see her play.
        That means they are interested in your kid, not the league. Until she has concrete offers it doesn't mean much. Shopping is part of a coach's job

6. The list of coaches attending is on the USDA showcase page and there are about 300 girls college coaches registered. What tournament can boast this number of coaches, and have been here before I can tell you the coaches are in attendance?
        Every ECNL showcase for starters, along with Jeff Cup and others

7. If you want to see a game Oakwood U16/U17 is a featured game at the showcase on 12/8
        That game is chosen because you're playing the #1 CA team, probably one of the top 2 teams in the country. You may not want that one to be featured. OW teams did poorly at national events last year.

And your kid is missing 3+ days of school.

Comment

The great thing about higher level youth soccer is that you have clear results at the end of the day. How many kids play the game beyond U18?

The class of 2018 was too late to benefit from any of the perceived advantages of this platform. 2019 and 2020 are a different story. The kids that made the sacrifices should without a doubt be starting to find success on the recruiting front. In fact, 2019s are done. Recruited athletes go early decision were just signed. Let's see it. No more excuses, posts from the Daddy coaches or over eager parents.
          Post that list OW. Would love to see it.

Comment

I think you've boiled it down pretty good. As a parent of an 8th and 6th grade daughter, I'm waiting to see how this out. Are kids driving up to Oakwood to be in the academy?

What are the selling points of this for good players that don't dream of the National team?

If Oakwood training is superior why not just play for their NPL team and still participate in school sports?
            1) No they're not going to Portland unless they can't get on a good ECNL team or play good minutes + don't care about HS or get good HS minutes.

2) um....give me a minute. Wait. I've got nothing.

3) The training isn't superior. It's the same coaches they had 18 months ago and most likely none have obtained the required extra licensure yet. The competition is step up from their old NPL competition but even then it's highly erratic. There's maybe 3 decent clubs in the NE, the rest not so much

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            Working...
            X