Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did CASL get rained out too? Any college coaches?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    D3 is an excellent way to get a good education and still play soccer. Too many get wrapped in it having to be D1, but that comes with a steep cost. D1 coaches will tell you school has three components but you can only pick two and the come in this order 1) athletics 2) academics 3) social and anything else. In D1 your job is also always on the line. D3 lets you still play, have more of a life. You're more likely to play all four years (you're not in D1). More importantly it's easier for certain majors like science (lots of labs) as well as to do study abroad and internships. My oldest was driven for D1 but slowly changed her mind after I basically pushed her to at least look at some quality D3s. Eventually that's the way she went and she couldn't be happier. Now her younger sibling is looking at the same.
    We also got pulled into the D1 sales pitch. Anything less than that level gives the appearance of failure, so we believed. So of course, that's the initial route we took. However, this past year, my daughter has been in contact with many D2 and D3 schools. Most of them are small or religious (not what she is looking for), but a few are hidden gems. All of the coaches have been fantastic: receptive and full of info. While the D1 coaches have also been polite, they have a job to produce and that can be seen in the time they spend on personal contact. If they have 8 spots open for a particular year, I bet they are talking to at least 100 girls to fill those roles. As for my daughter, some of the D3 schools on her list are solid academic schools that we did not know had a top soccer program. It is an added bonus that soccer may also be an option if admitted. One school in particular has several junior and seniors that started in D1 and transferred. The skill level observed at their practices and games is equivalent to any of the D1 schools we visited.

Short story...we were part of the D1 only cult, but have since expanded beyond that. There is a lot of recruiting this time of year. Lots of opportunities for all skill levels. If a student wants to play in college, there is a program out there for them. Good luck to everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      We also got pulled into the D1 sales pitch. Anything less than that level gives the appearance of failure, so we believed. So of course, that's the initial route we took. However, this past year, my daughter has been in contact with many D2 and D3 schools. Most of them are small or religious (not what she is looking for), but a few are hidden gems. All of the coaches have been fantastic: receptive and full of info. While the D1 coaches have also been polite, they have a job to produce and that can be seen in the time they spend on personal contact. If they have 8 spots open for a particular year, I bet they are talking to at least 100 girls to fill those roles. As for my daughter, some of the D3 schools on her list are solid academic schools that we did not know had a top soccer program. It is an added bonus that soccer may also be an option if admitted. One school in particular has several junior and seniors that started in D1 and transferred. The skill level observed at their practices and games is equivalent to any of the D1 schools we visited.

Short story...we were part of the D1 only cult, but have since expanded beyond that. There is a lot of recruiting this time of year. Lots of opportunities for all skill levels. If a student wants to play in college, there is a program out there for them. Good luck to everyone.
      This is spot on. Many of the D-1 coaches have also perfected the sales pitch. My daughter was courted by a mid major D-1 as a freshman- sophomore like there was no tomorrow. We did the unofficial campus visit where the coaches spent the entire day with her and us selling us. Showed us a “typical scholarship offer” and said we want to see you in 6 month and where you are at. After their ID camp they wanted us to call on the way home. We did and they told my daughter all coaches agree and next step is the offer.

After that they drug our not taking a call for 2 weeks. They finally did and said we aren’t ready to commit to you yet and need to see you more. During this time they committed 6 girls in that gate bracket. Bottom line- it’s a game being played with young girls lives. My 15-16 year old was not mentally prepared for this. Not many are. To be told you are awesome and we want you and we are giving you an offer to thanks but no thanks. Let’s keep you on the bubble in case one of the others we really wanted recommits or gets injured.

I warned my daughter in the beginning about this- as I went through it way back when. She wouldn’t listen and cut off contact and offers from other schools. Don’t let you or your child fall victim to this. You are an A, B or C recruit. They will tell you almost anything to keep you away from other schools.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      Working...
      X