Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let your kids fail

I’m in no way an Alabama fan. Having said that, kids, take note of what just happened with Jalen Hurts. The guy wins 26 games in 2 years. He leads his team to the playoffs both years. Gets benched in the national championship game. Has his starting job taken from him (by a better player). Nowadays, that’s when 99% of players either quit or transfer....not this guy. Sits the bench the whole year, works his tail off to become a better player and has to come in and lead his team to a come from behind win to win the SEC Championship. This is what sports should be about. Parents, let your kid fail so they can learn how to deal with it and become better because of that failure. Sports can teach you a lot about life if you will let it. Jalen, thank you for setting an example of what being a great teammate looks like. When asked what made him stay at Alabama and not transfer, Jalen responded with “I put it in God’s hands and He handled it for me”. Wow.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I’m in no way an Alabama fan. Having said that, kids, take note of what just happened with Jalen Hurts. The guy wins 26 games in 2 years. He leads his team to the playoffs both years. Gets benched in the national championship game. Has his starting job taken from him (by a better player). Nowadays, that’s when 99% of players either quit or transfer....not this guy. Sits the bench the whole year, works his tail off to become a better player and has to come in and lead his team to a come from behind win to win the SEC Championship. This is what sports should be about. Parents, let your kid fail so they can learn how to deal with it and become better because of that failure. Sports can teach you a lot about life if you will let it. Jalen, thank you for setting an example of what being a great teammate looks like. When asked what made him stay at Alabama and not transfer, Jalen responded with “I put it in God’s hands and He handled it for me”. Wow.
    Couldn't agree more. Too many parents want to protect their kids from life's bumps in the road. Failures and hardships are learning opportunities and build resiliency for adult life. Colleges are filled with kids who can't cope on their own after years of having their parents do everything for them. 99% of players in that situation would have transferred out. He will be a better player for staying and will be better able to handle the challenges of playing professionally.

Comment

His character and story are now bigger than winning the SEC. He will be a legend and inspiration for other athletes and written about in mindset and leadership books.

Comment

His character and story are now bigger than winning the SEC. He will be a legend and inspiration for other athletes and written about in mindset and leadership books.
        Agree with all of the above posters.

Comment

Will Grier is a different case study.

Comment

Will Grier is a different case study.
            He is a much different case study, but a good one.

Leaving UF was a great decision for him. Not the quitting of the team, but the leaving of an environment that was leading to bad decisions and life choices.

Not much of a secret that he and his kicker roommate at UF we’re big on the party scene and the substance he got popped for wasn’t the only one going into his body fairly regularly. He got a fresh start at WVU in a different location and certainly seems to have settled down (married with kid).

So, all in all...his story is maybe not as much of a quitter as you may think and more of a redemption one as well.

Comment

He is a much different case study, but a good one.

Leaving UF was a great decision for him. Not the quitting of the team, but the leaving of an environment that was leading to bad decisions and life choices.

Not much of a secret that he and his kicker roommate at UF we’re big on the party scene and the substance he got popped for wasn’t the only one going into his body fairly regularly. He got a fresh start at WVU in a different location and certainly seems to have settled down (married with kid).

So, all in all...his story is maybe not as much of a quitter as you may think and more of a redemption one as well.
              Up for the Heisman. Look at KZ Milton injured and freshman Mack quarterbacks them to the AAC Championship and Fiesta Bowl.

Comment

Relax...

Most of your children are already failures. You don't need to "let" them do anything. It will happen naturally.

Comment

This a bit shocking. I don’t believe that in 2018 people still believe in a story book that basically is an explanation for the unknown before science. Putting it in God’s hands and He handled it for me for me is nonsense. There are NO gods. The gods aren’t making a difference in any way, and the fact that people aren’t questioned about their sanity when making these statements is disturbing. It’s 2018, enough already!

Comment

This a bit shocking. I don’t believe that in 2018 people still believe in a story book that basically is an explanation for the unknown before science. Putting it in God’s hands and He handled it for me for me is nonsense. There are NO gods. The gods aren’t making a difference in any way, and the fact that people aren’t questioned about their sanity when making these statements is disturbing. It’s 2018, enough already!
                    ummmm.....you're talking about football in the south. To them football is god. Plenty of religious nutters don't believe in science - except when they get sick of course.

Comment

Agree 100%

Comment

ummmm.....you're talking about football in the south. To them football is god. Plenty of religious nutters don't believe in science - except when they get sick of course.
                        God, help the pass be completed. God, help us win. But people do lose even in sickness. It is what it means to be human, to triumph and to fail, the circle of life.

Comment

Teach them to get up when they get knocked down, courage, and resilience because life is going to be bumpy.

Comment

Proselytize much?

Comment

Any kid that fails deserves to be beaten with a stick.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X