•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EDP To Run Three Premier League Divisions Covering New York and Connecticut

Interesting...

EDP To Run Three Premier League Divisions Covering New York and Connecticut

East Brunswick, NJ (June 14, 2018)-- EDP today announced it will be running three premier league divisions in New York -- EDP Premier Long Island; EDP Premier Southern NY/Southern CT and EDP Premier Northern NY. The new EDP regional leagues will be open to boys and girls in the 11U through 19U age groups.

As a result of this move, clubs/teams playing in these three regional premier leagues will have a pathway into the new US Youth Soccer National League EDP regional conference competition.

“These premier divisions are designed for higher level teams that aspire to progress in future seasons to National League EDP regional competition,” said EDP Chief Executive Officer Alan Shilling, who added that teams that play in these EDP regional premier leagues in New York will now be part of a multi-divisional league structure that allows all teams that participate to have a good game every week with sensible travel and the opportunity to apply for or play their way to National League levels.”

Generally, the EDP brackets at the Premier level are intended for teams that have progressed beyond the competitive level of local leagues and are seeking a pathway into the National League platform. This program is also aimed and “bringing back” top clubs that have elected to play in leagues hosted by sanctioning bodies other than the Eastern NY Youth Soccer Association (ENYYSA) and the Connecticut Junior Soccer Association (CJSA).

Richard Christiano, ENYYSA President, commented “This provides a partnership for ENYYSA, its member leagues to provide a structured pathway to connect our local and regional leagues with the National League. It also provides an opportunity for us to attract clubs outside ENYYSA programming to have their top teams join the EDP Premier League and the balance of the club would join the local ENYYSA league affiliate.”

Applications for these leagues can be done by registering at edpsoccer.com/leagueregistration

The question is are they are really going to have enough Long Island teams to make it work.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      The question is are they are really going to have enough Long Island teams to make it work.
      I guess this is a direct attack on NYCSL/NYPL and CCSL, but will it backfire and end up taking teams from LIJSL instead?

Comment

I guess this is a direct attack on NYCSL/NYPL and CCSL, but will it backfire and end up taking teams from LIJSL instead?
        CCSL will likely stay strong on its own. It's lower level CT teams that probably don't want more travel. Some LI teams may be the same. The real battle is over the regional teams. EDP has been on a tear to get more business up and down the east coast

Comment

LIJSL has 1,500+ teams and 95% of them are perfect happy playing in that sandbox. It's local. It's relatively cheap. LIJSL handles ref assignments behind the scenes. And the weaker clubs like the fact that it doesn't have universal passes like NYCSL uses so D5 teams don't have to worry about being sandbagged by a team full of ringers. I have my frustrations with LIJSL but for the most part it works quite well for most travel teams.

The interesting part here is that EDP now uses the same passes as LIJSL. Meaning teams that currently pull the double of NYCSL/LIJSL could instead do EDP/LIJSL and not have to pay for two sets of passes. The only problem there being is EDP's insistence on Sunday games when LIJSL divisions U14 and up are also on Sunday.

Comment

LIJSL has 1,500+ teams and 95% of them are perfect happy playing in that sandbox. It's local. It's relatively cheap. LIJSL handles ref assignments behind the scenes. And the weaker clubs like the fact that it doesn't have universal passes like NYCSL uses so D5 teams don't have to worry about being sandbagged by a team full of ringers. I have my frustrations with LIJSL but for the most part it works quite well for most travel teams.

The interesting part here is that EDP now uses the same passes as LIJSL. Meaning teams that currently pull the double of NYCSL/LIJSL could instead do EDP/LIJSL and not have to pay for two sets of passes. The only problem there being is EDP's insistence on Sunday games when LIJSL divisions U14 and up are also on Sunday.
            We're in EDP and do Saturday games all the time. There's preference and then there's the reality of coach schedules, field availability etc. Restricting days is untenable.

I do agree that LIJSL and CCSL are perfectly happy in their sandboxes and probably won't change, maybe a few HS aged teams. But ulittles-middle school most families are happy not to travel much and that's why they chose those teams.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            Working...
            X