Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Revolution Academy needs to make some changes.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Our positions are not dissimilar, we just choose different ways to communicate them.

My son practices 10 minutes from home also, but in the interest of full disclosure, he has teammates that travel 90 minutes plus.

As for his games this year:

(13) 50% are at home(10 minute drive)
    (2) 8% are away but within 45 minutes.
    (7) 27% are away but he’ll travel by bus or plane(this has ancillary value)
    (4) 15% are away but 60+ minutes away

The travel isn’t as extreme as you appear to suggest. The independence reinforced by traveling alone to games, by bus or plane, has some value. The team building aspect is also excellent. He’ll miss less than 2 weeks of school and he will complete all his academic work, maintaining a class rank in the top 5% of an excellent high school. The time management skills necessary to succeed like he currently is are indispensable.

In regard to the Russian School of Math 2x per week, I feel the same way about that as you do about DA. For my son it is completely unnecessary. His grades in AP math classes and his 95th percentile score on the math portion of the SAT will more than suffice. That being said, I would never disparage your son’s choice to pursue it.

While my son has several quality ECs, he hasn’t interned anywhere. The balance in his resume, despite the extensive commitment DA requires, should be sufficient for all but the top Ivies.

My son has less than zero interest in high school soccer. He and the other DA players at his school have had to deal with peer pressure from classmates and considerable pressure from coaches for years. Would I prefer he was a 3 sport varsity athlete? Without question I would. It’s not my choice, though.

At this point my only hope is that DA Soccer will serve as a “hook” in the admission process that may allow him to matriculate at a school he wouldn’t have had access to otherwise. Any athletic money would be icing on the cake if he chooses to go D1.
    Huh. There really aren’t any excellent high schools near Foxboro.

Comment

Students of RSM are not there to get a good score on their SATs 😂 LOL. The kid has clearly excelled in math and sounds like he’s going to have a good future. And I really believe the OP does not care about your super amazing child, but rather was outlining a mechanism to get to college soccer without DA.
      I’m comfortable with no one, other than my family and friends, caring about my son.

His pathway, if true, is the exception to the rule, especially as it pertains to athletic scholarships. Based on his description of his son’s travel he couldn’t have played either ECNL or NPL. It also appears, from his posts, that his son never traveled to major tournaments or showcases since he was adamant about relaying how close practice and matches were.

How many boys get recruited and offered athletic scholarship dollars on ID camps alone?

That’s a unicorn.

I would never tell a person their child needs DA to play college soccer. One simply needs to look at the college commitments threads from any year to find objective proof that dozens of non-DA players move on to college soccer annually.

Getting recruited is hard for boys. Getting athletic scholarships for Men’s Soccer is exponentially harder. Playing high school soccer and mid-level club soccer won’t lead to scholarship money for 99.9% of the boys out there.

I’m all for different paths and doing what’s best for your family. The person I’ve been going back and forth with is a bit too cavalier in his opinion, while lacking any tangible or verifiable evidence, for parents to take what he says as viable.

Work REALLY hard both in the classroom and on the field. Take the most challenging academic schedule you can successfully complete. Play at the highest level you can, while managing your social and academic priorities to the best of your ability. Put more effort than you think you need into recruiting, and start a year earlier than you think necessary. Recruiting is a war of attrition, not a leisurely stroll through college ID camps.

Comment

That’s not the impression I had. No one was pushing a thing. And it was in response to a post that club soccer can’t access college soccer coaches. You on the other hand seem to need to justify DA as a means to get into college. And you seem pissed you don’t actually need DA to play college ball. 😂
        You may want to work on your reading comprehension.

Comment

But he's got you as a dad so that sort of negates everything else.
          It’s hard to imagine someone could fail to add to the discussion AND fail at humor in one post, but you managed too. Well done my friend. You’ve made everyone just a bit dumber for having read your sentence.

Comment

You may want to work on your reading comprehension.
            You were clearly pushing your agenda. Indisputably.

Don’t listen to the ‘experts’ on this site. The truth is that MOST of the college players did NOT play DA.

Comment

That’s not the impression I had. No one was pushing a thing. And it was in response to a post that club soccer can’t access college soccer coaches. You on the other hand seem to need to justify DA as a means to get into college. And you seem pissed you don’t actually need DA to play college ball. 😂
              All anyone has to do is take a look at rosters and that annual commitment list. Does DA help? It helps get you more looks, for sure. But coaches know talent when they see it, regardless of any patches on the sleeve. There's lot of good players outside the DA systems, and there's lots of weak players in the system.

Comment

Don’t listen to the ‘experts’ on this site. The truth is that MOST of the college players did NOT play DA.
                Read post #13067.

Comment

All anyone has to do is take a look at rosters and that annual commitment list. Does DA help? It helps get you more looks, for sure. But coaches know talent when they see it, regardless of any patches on the sleeve. There's lot of good players outside the DA systems, and there's lots of weak players in the system.
                  Does DA help? In most circumstances, it does. But the Revs are not typical DA. They have been lagging in nearly all areas for 3-4 years now. Revs college commitments are well behind Bolts, NEFC and GPS and are only trending downward.

Comment

Does DA help? In most circumstances, it does. But the Revs are not typical DA. They have been lagging in nearly all areas for 3-4 years now. Revs college commitments are well behind Bolts, NEFC and GPS and are only trending downward.
                    I used to be the “my kid loves it at the Revs”guy. Now my kid can’t wait to be finished with their pathetic program and move on to college.

Comment

For the poster who asked what happens when your kid joins Revs:

They basically own your kid. Kid can’t play for another club unless they are released by the Revs.

Which is why it’s hilarious to see people head over to Revs when kids are young all excited...then quickly realize maybe not a good choice and start talking about trying to go to other better MLS programs. No way Revs will release you and no way another club would get into that mess.

So then they turn to ProPeoject....

Comment

OP here and I totally agree. Most times DA helps. Coaches know about the Revs.

Comment

Again, swallow your pride and read my posts.

Comment

For the poster who asked what happens when your kid joins Revs:

They basically own your kid. Kid can’t play for another club unless they are released by the Revs.

Which is why it’s hilarious to see people head over to Revs when kids are young all excited...then quickly realize maybe not a good choice and start talking about trying to go to other better MLS programs. No way Revs will release you and no way another club would get into that mess.

So then they turn to ProPeoject....
                            ProProject is where it’s at!

Comment

The only thing I would add is that DA helps more players get recruited to Division 1 schools than any other league here in Massachusetts.

Comment

With the 17s in such disarray should parents expect even more cuts than usual at the end of the season?
                                This year anyone under a 50% starts will be cut.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X