Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    They care about teaching the game not making money.
    Smartest post I’ve ever seen here. You nailed it, it’s about the $. American kids don’t have a chance it’s all tainted by the $ at the youth level and it’s really sad. That’s why kids quit! Essentially your youth carrear is over at u-19, kid hasn’t even peeked yet, lost dreams

Comment

A lot of good points made. I also think a lot of the problem is lack of economic incentive, at least on the boys side. As a result of title 9, it is a very realistic, attainable goal for a girl to get a full ride to college if she develops into an elite youth player. That is one reason why you see so much "passion" amongst the parents of girl players, they have a lot to play for, a lot to lose. On the boys side on the other hand, unless you are super-elite, you are playing for crumbs. Maybe a partial scholarship at a small school. It usually takes a while for newbie parents to figure this out. Why are we paying so much for club soccer/training, etc. and spending most all of the family's leisure time at games/travelling etc., when the potential returns are minimal. Once this is realized, interest wanes, they often drift away from soccer to another sport.

Comment

There is no one reason, probably a bunch of things combined. I still believe that the biggest issue is the lack of serious commitment from our best athletes who would rather play football, baseball, and basketball. Then come mismanagement by USSF and travel clubs. After that, lack of soccer culture.

Comment

There is no one reason, probably a bunch of things combined. I still believe that the biggest issue is the lack of serious commitment from our best athletes who would rather play football, baseball, and basketball. Then come mismanagement by USSF and travel clubs. After that, lack of soccer culture.
          Using your logic, Croatia then has much better athletes in those 100,000 -odd players? Modric would have killed it playing basketball or football? He's their best player, one of the best in the world.

Do you see how dumb your argument is???!!!

Comment

Using your logic, Croatia then has much better athletes in those 100,000 -odd players? Modric would have killed it playing basketball or football? He's their best player, one of the best in the world.

Modric was a refugee displaced from his home. As a young kid he lived out of a hotel and played soccer in the hotel parking lot. Not an uncommon story of soccer being everything to these Croatian players.

Comment

Modric was a refugee displaced from his home. As a young kid he lived out of a hotel and played soccer in the hotel parking lot. Not an uncommon story of soccer being everything to these Croatian players.
              Ok, but the poster was saying we don't have good soccer players because all the best athletes are playing football and basketball. By that logic, Modric, who is an elite soccer player, and therefore a "best athlete" should be a great football or basketball player. Clearly he is a *nonstarter* in either sport! My point is that the qualities needed to excel in football and basketball are NOT what are needed in soccer. You have to be very athletic to play high level soccer, but you do not have to be a freak of nature.

Comment

Ok, but the poster was saying we don't have good soccer players because all the best athletes are playing football and basketball. By that logic, Modric, who is an elite soccer player, and therefore a "best athlete" should be a great football or basketball player. Clearly he is a *nonstarter* in either sport! My point is that the qualities needed to excel in football and basketball are NOT what are needed in soccer. You have to be very athletic to play high level soccer, but you do not have to be a freak of nature.
                All types can play soccer. Kane the Golden Boot recipient might have been a great football or basketball athlete.

Comment

Originally posted by unregistered View Post
                  mike strickland is not in charge of there odp.?
                  lol...

Comment

i think what modric has that is special is an intelligence and understanding of the game that is something that cannot be 100% taught. the way he finds space when most professional level midfielders would lose the ball is just amazing. his motor is non-stop. he does not ever give up on a play. his off the ball movement is incredible. players that have these qualities should be identified by us soccer. perhaps us soccer is failing to identify players with these characteristics, or maybe needs to do a better job of promoting these type of players once they are identified. I think the harry kane type is discovered with some success. and, last, when we find a potential modric, potential modric should head to europe as soon as parents can pull it off.

Comment

No, I don't. Modric would have made an awesome point guard - quick, strong, agile, can jump like a muther, die hard competitor. Just look at our men's team compared to him and tell me I am wrong - they suck, and have no fire in the belly, and aren't quality athletes. Take Tom Brady, train him all his life to play soccer, put LeBron James in goal and we would kill.

Comment

No, I don't. Modric would have made an awesome point guard - quick, strong, agile, can jump like a muther, die hard competitor. Just look at our men's team compared to him and tell me I am wrong - they suck, and have no fire in the belly, and aren't quality athletes. Take Tom Brady, train him all his life to play soccer, put LeBron James in goal and we would kill.
                        How many 5'8" players are in the NBA?

Comment

i think what modric has that is special is an intelligence and understanding of the game that is something that cannot be 100% taught. the way he finds space when most professional level midfielders would lose the ball is just amazing. his motor is non-stop. he does not ever give up on a play. his off the ball movement is incredible. players that have these qualities should be identified by us soccer. perhaps us soccer is failing to identify players with these characteristics, or maybe needs to do a better job of promoting these type of players once they are identified. I think the harry kane type is discovered with some success. and, last, when we find a potential modric, potential modric should head to europe as soon as parents can pull it off.
                          This type of talent does not fall from the sky. It has to be developed, not identified.

Comment

Originally posted by Just a Coach View Post
                            This type of talent does not fall from the sky. It has to be developed, not identified.
                            A little of both. Intrinsic instinct and spatial awareness, quick decision making and skill , and then developing it to a higher level by being able to play in higher challenging settings with higher level coaches who can help further their talents. If these players could be identified and developed more , America would have even more players like Modric.

Comment

A little of both. Intrinsic instinct and spatial awareness, quick decision making and skill , and then developing it to a higher level by being able to play in higher challenging settings with higher level coaches who can help further their talents. If these players could be identified and developed more , America would have even more players like Modric.
                              That would imply that instinct, spatial awareness, quick decision making and skill cannot be developed. Nothing is farther from the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Just a Coach View Post
                                That would imply that instinct, spatial awareness, quick decision making and skill cannot be developed. Nothing is farther from the truth.
                                They can be developed from an early age and into their college years.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X