young coaches are useless

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obviously the issue isn't back or white. However, the OP has some points.

It's the same as with any career. You gain experience and get better (hopefully) with time, whether you are a doctor, teacher, engineer, or coach.

My son had an older 20s coach last year that focused too much on tactics at U11. He also had a U14 team. So I think he was better for that age group. What I liked about him was that he was no nonsense. He expected the players to pay attention and work. He also didn't care about flashy players. He took notice of the skilled players who played simply.

Current coach is early 20s. He focuses on tech skills which is appropriate. But he lacks the experience to command the attention from the team. Some kids walk all over him. He also loves the flashy players. These players constantly lose the ball and he can't seem to understand why. They look great in practice but it doesn't translate to the game. He's increasingly frustrated at the teams lack of success and c ommitment. And lately he just plays to win. I think he'll be a great coach in 5 years. He just doesn't know how to work with kids yet.

Travel coach is 50+ years and cool as a cucumber. Has coached travel and club. Has his own kids that are older and play as well. He's tech skills all the way. Firm but patient. He could care less about winning so long as the kids are giving 100%.

As of right now, I like the travel coach best. And I suspect well trained older coaches are likely better overall.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Another nonsense in terms of demonstration of skills at pace. Tactics are based on decisions not mimicking. Some of the best coaches of the game never were good players. The best demonstration is telling players to watch LA liga and EPL as examples. Watching good soccer players and games help at great deal.
      Some of the best coaches at what level? At the youth level, the kids need to see technical skills first hand at some point. Every good technical session (teaching a new skill) at the youth level has demonstration. Either the head coach, an assistant, or one of the better players demonstrating.

Comment

Young coaches can be fine with young players but not with older kids. The age gap is too close, they do not have enough experience and if it's a higher end team with college bound players, they are usually ill equipped to deal with the college recruiting process effectively.

Comment

Some of the best coaches at what level? At the youth level, the kids need to see technical skills first hand at some point. Every good technical session (teaching a new skill) at the youth level has demonstration. Either the head coach, an assistant, or one of the better players demonstrating.
          Not all good coaches are good trainers and vice versa. I've found that younger folks do well in technical training sessions. They are high energy and very motivating.

Comment

Not all good coaches are good trainers and vice versa. I've found that younger folks do well in technical training sessions. They are high energy and very motivating.
            Good point. Our town uses "trainers" like that for the rec program (along with a volunteer parent coach). It's really about the basics for the ulittles. They have a lot of energy and enthusiasm and the kids respond well to them.

Comment

The players have changed more than the game. They don't respect anyone or thing and they feel they are above the game.
              Those changes bother Phil, but not Brad who has not known differently. They have hurt the game, that's for sure.
              So the players don't listen to Brad Stevens, don't respect him, and feel that they're above him? How about Steve Kerr, or Gregg Popovich? That's nuts. Today's players on the whole are far more "coachable" than many of the spoiled coke fiends that almost ruined the league in the mid-late 70's. Unfortunately, way too many of today's players may be coachable, but have not developed enough of the basic fundamentals that their predecessors had, and too many one-and-done college players are entering the league unprepared for the pro game.

Phil Jackson might struggle coaching today's game, not because of a respect issue, but because he's a big believer in his triangle offense - which requires extraordinary wing players and puts a premium on mid-range shooting and post play. The new analytics emphasize rim attacks and 3 point shooting; the math simply works better.

Comment

Not agree. I'm over 40, been playing the game and been involved with it on some level for over 30 years, and it's a different game. I'd prefer someone closer to how the game is played today and can communicate it then a dinosaur like myself.

Plus, in some instances, depending on age, some kids can communicate better with someone closer in age vs. someone who could be their grandfather, or close to it.

I don't see how you could make an assertion one way or the other.
                Tell me again why there aren't any coaches under age 35, coaching in EPL, LaLiga, Bundesliga or top national teams because they are young and ,as you say, communicate better with today's players?

Comment

Are we talking youth soccer or pros?

Seemed the post was geared toward youth, as I would be quite surprised to see a coach in his 20's take over a big league team. Not totally unheard of, but for a big team, rare.

Most start in their early-mid 30's.

Comment

Are we talking youth soccer or pros?

Seemed the post was geared toward youth, as I would be quite surprised to see a coach in his 20's take over a big league team. Not totally unheard of, but for a big team, rare.

Most start in their early-mid 30's.
                    It's a career path like most others. You have to start low/small and work your way up. College, youth, professional. However, that doesn't mean that all young coaches are bad because they have less experience or that all older coaches are good because they have more.

Comment

It's a career path like most others. You have to start low/small and work your way up. College, youth, professional. However, that doesn't mean that all young coaches are bad because they have less experience or that all older coaches are good because they have more.

Exactly. Which is why the OP and some of the following attacks seem so puzzling to me....

Comment

Exactly. Which is why the OP and some of the following attacks seem so puzzling to me....
                        Op stated: "from my observations the best coaches are at least 40, grew up with the game and can play themselves. young 20 year olds totally out of depth and should not be given big teams."

Translate: my kid has a young coach who obviously can't see my kid's greatness/not getting enough PT/playing in the wrong position

Comment

Ok, so let me repeat your order: You want a 40+ year old coach, with no kid on the team, previous playing experience, and at least a B license. Is that correct? Would you like a side order of unicorn with that?

Comment

The poster's premise is utter nonsense. My kid's current coach is D licensed, age 21 and plays D1 currently with one trip to the NCAA's on her playing resume. The girls on the team love her and respond well to her coaching. The same group of girls is doing much better now than they were while being coached by an A licensed mid 40's former MSL pro player.

It depends n the coach and the way the player's respond to their style. Age has nothing to do with it, especially on the girl's side. It is how well they can be motivated to play to the best of their ability. Te actual teaching of skills could probably be done by a trained ape.

Comment

Ok, so let me repeat your order: You want a 40+ year old coach, with no kid on the team, previous playing experience, and at least a B license. Is that correct? Would you like a side order of unicorn with that?
                              Ooh, you're in luck today, sir. We have the coach you're looking for in stock. You'll love him. Now, there is one small thing...he's not actually a good coach...but he should meet your criteria.

Comment

Ooh, you're in luck today, sir. We have the coach you're looking for in stock. You'll love him. Now, there is one small thing...he's not actually a good coach...but he should meet your criteria.
                                lol I was thinking similarly when I read that. Not only may a coach meeting that criteria not be a good coach but he/she could be a completely dbag and the kids hate them.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X