Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Spot on, especially this year with all the changes. My GK tells me there have been 2-3 outside GK's at every training for the last couple of weeks. I'm guessing most of the decisions about team placement will be made far ahead of tryouts.

Also, I would worry less about the A/B label and find him the best training you can, especially at his age. The A/B stuff will work itself out, but he'll never be able to make up for lost time in terms of training.
    I'm not concerned with A/B. Just that his B team is weak and always has been. It seems others care more about A/B so any stronger players leave bc they aren't on A. This leaves the B team weak. Sometimes with low #s. Parents complain. And so the club signs anyone who will join to give the team #s. It's been an endless cycle.

The suggestion has been to find a club with a good GK coach and multiple trainings a week. Stars, NEFC, Bolts are on our shortlist.

A Stars parent recently told me that their coach won't let their player miss team practice for GK and that the practices overlap. Anyone know if this is true? Or is it coach dependent?

The NEFC site lists GK clinics once a week. Anyone know if there are other sessions?

Bolts has little GK info on their site. Anyone know if GK training is by region and how often?

Any other club reccommendations for a GK? At this point region doesn't matter. I'd simply like to hear where the best GK programs are.

Comment

I'm not concerned with A/B. Just that his B team is weak and always has been. It seems others care more about A/B so any stronger players leave bc they aren't on A. This leaves the B team weak. Sometimes with low #s. Parents complain. And so the club signs anyone who will join to give the team #s. It's been an endless cycle.

The suggestion has been to find a club with a good GK coach and multiple trainings a week. Stars, NEFC, Bolts are on our shortlist.

A Stars parent recently told me that their coach won't let their player miss team practice for GK and that the practices overlap. Anyone know if this is true? Or is it coach dependent?

The NEFC site lists GK clinics once a week. Anyone know if there are other sessions?

Bolts has little GK info on their site. Anyone know if GK training is by region and how often?

Any other club reccommendations for a GK? At this point region doesn't matter. I'd simply like to hear where the best GK programs are.
      NEFC would be a good choice if you are in the Central/Metro Boston regions. Dir of GK for NEFC stays put in the Central region and focuses on the Elite teams so you get the secondary GK coaches, some good and some weak, like any club.

As a father of a GK who has changed clubs in the past, the most important aspect is the mental part of the game and developing that. The physical part will occur if you invest in his development through training, repetitions, etc. The mental aspect and confidence is THE most important piece for a GK and that is mainly affected by his team coach. If his team coach is GK friendly, meaning he/she doesn't yell or scream at him for mistakes or be negative in feedback, then stay with that team and coach. Very hard to find that in a team coach.

Comment

NEFC would be a good choice if you are in the Central/Metro Boston regions. Dir of GK for NEFC stays put in the Central region and focuses on the Elite teams so you get the secondary GK coaches, some good and some weak, like any club.

As a father of a GK who has changed clubs in the past, the most important aspect is the mental part of the game and developing that. The physical part will occur if you invest in his development through training, repetitions, etc. The mental aspect and confidence is THE most important piece for a GK and that is mainly affected by his team coach. If his team coach is GK friendly, meaning he/she doesn't yell or scream at him for mistakes or be negative in feedback, then stay with that team and coach. Very hard to find that in a team coach.
        Thank you for that feedback. It's good to hear. And it's possible that I'm overlooking that bc the curret coach has been good with him. It's not clear whether the coach will be staying with the team, but I will know by tryout time.

Comment

When D was with Stars GK training was scheduled to match practice. They started a bit before field players and then joined the field players towards the 2nd half of practice.

Dont understand the coaches not allowing the GK to be missing comment. Everything was scheduled together and worked out between the coaches. Occassionally there was a bit of a disagreement eg coach needed gk to work on corner situations and gk coach waswasnt finished yet, but it was never a real issue.

Comment

When D was with Stars GK training was scheduled to match practice. They started a bit before field players and then joined the field players towards the 2nd half of practice.

Dont understand the coaches not allowing the GK to be missing comment. Everything was scheduled together and worked out between the coaches. Occassionally there was a bit of a disagreement eg coach needed gk to work on corner situations and gk coach waswasnt finished yet, but it was never a real issue.
            Thanks for sharing. That was just what 1 parent told me. Could be their particular coach I guess.

Were you happy with the Stars GK training? I heard MD is good but doesn't coach all the GK sessions.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. That was just what 1 parent told me. Could be their particular coach I guess.

Were you happy with the Stars GK training? I heard MD is good but doesn't coach all the GK sessions.
              My GK is also with Stars and GK training has always taken precedence over team training.

Comment

For the Bolts, they have GK training every night of the week at various regional locations. Danvers, Braintree, Stoughton, Medway, Southboro, Worcester. So depending on where you live, you should be able to find a training event near you. Additionally, if you are willing to travel a bit or live in between training centers, you can hit 2-3 GK training events per week. And usually there are team practices going on at the same time.

Comment

For the Bolts, they have GK training every night of the week at various regional locations. Danvers, Braintree, Stoughton, Medway, Southboro, Worcester. So depending on where you live, you should be able to find a training event near you. Additionally, if you are willing to travel a bit or live in between training centers, you can hit 2-3 GK training events per week. And usually there are team practices going on at the same time.
                  Thanks for sharing that info. Do you have a Bolts GK? Have you been happy with the training?

Comment

My GK is also with Stars and GK training has always taken precedence over team training.
                    Thanks! How's the other GK coach besides MD?

Comment

Thanks! How's the other GK coach besides MD?
                      MD is the favorite, but my GK has had good training from all the GK coaches at Stars through the years. Even if MD is not running the session he has input and the coaches appear to take their lead from him.

Comment

We typically have one night where GK overlaps with team, and another night where it doesn't. Keepers are expected to do a total of 4 nights how they chose but most do 2 team, 2GK. On the night it overlaps my GK checks with the team coach first just to confirm where the coach wants him. Sometimes it's half a GK session like you said,then with the team. Other times it's the whole GK session. GK training should take priority unless he/she has missed some team practices, or the team coach has something very specific he wants to work on with the team+GK.

Comment

Thanks for sharing that info. Do you have a Bolts GK? Have you been happy with the training?
                          Here's the FC Boston goalkeeper page, they also have a facebook page.

http://www.fcboston.org/boys-programs/goalkeeping

Comment

MD is the favorite, but my GK has had good training from all the GK coaches at Stars through the years. Even if MD is not running the session he has input and the coaches appear to take their lead from him.
                            Thanks for the response and info!

Comment

We typically have one night where GK overlaps with team, and another night where it doesn't. Keepers are expected to do a total of 4 nights how they chose but most do 2 team, 2GK. On the night it overlaps my GK checks with the team coach first just to confirm where the coach wants him. Sometimes it's half a GK session like you said,then with the team. Other times it's the whole GK session. GK training should take priority unless he/she has missed some team practices, or the team coach has something very specific he wants to work on with the team+GK.
                              Thanks for the detailed response!

Comment

Here's the FC Boston goalkeeper page, they also have a facebook page.

http://www.fcboston.org/boys-programs/goalkeeping
                                Thank you for the link and info!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X