Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parental garbage on sideline

Over the weekend, I witnessed some of the most disgusting behavior I've seen on the sidelines at my kid's U12 soccer game. Comments from parents on the opposing team's side of the field ranged from whining about the calls being made against their team (not playing the ball and shouldering a pursuing player while you're 5' from the ball is a foul and should be called), yelling "Push him!" when one of our players makes it around your defender and has a clear break on goal, to my favorite, yelling "Elbow him in the head next time!" after one of our players is knocked down by 2 of your players and the foul is called on you. Real classy. Props to the coach for at least yelling "Who yelled to push him?" across the field at the parents.

We played this same team in the fall and the parents complained that our boys played a little too aggressively for their princesses, and apparently the memo went out this time to throw caution to the wind and act (and play) like a bunch of classless *********s. I doubt it was something the coach wanted, but the parents sure got the message across to the kids.

Hope you idiots are proud of yourselves.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Over the weekend, I witnessed some of the most disgusting behavior I've seen on the sidelines at my kid's U12 soccer game. Comments from parents on the opposing team's side of the field ranged from whining about the calls being made against their team (not playing the ball and shouldering a pursuing player while you're 5' from the ball is a foul and should be called), yelling "Push him!" when one of our players makes it around your defender and has a clear break on goal, to my favorite, yelling "Elbow him in the head next time!" after one of our players is knocked down by 2 of your players and the foul is called on you. Real classy. Props to the coach for at least yelling "Who yelled to push him?" across the field at the parents.

We played this same team in the fall and the parents complained that our boys played a little too aggressively for their princesses, and apparently the memo went out this time to throw caution to the wind and act (and play) like a bunch of classless *********s. I doubt it was something the coach wanted, but the parents sure got the message across to the kids.

This is news? Have the guts to name the club at least

Comment

This is news? Have the guts to name the club at least
      He won't have to - I'm sure any parent on the team can figure it out

Comment

There is at least 1 parent every weekend who says something ridiculous.

My U12 son is a keeper and parents are constantly yelling to rush him, crash into him, etc. This last weekend he was kicked in the head while on the ground. The opposing player was trying to kick the ball out of his hands and the mom kept yelling "he doesn't have it."

I typically ignore it. When it gets out of hand and the opposing parents are nearby, I usually make a passive aggressive comment like "this is U12 youth soccer" or "way to encourage sportsmanship". If it's completely unsafe I have no problem saying "let's keep the kids safe".

I also tend to loudly praise the ref on good calls regarding dangerous play on either side. Most of these complaining and aggressive parents have no clue regarding the rules. However some are downright nasty.

At the end of the day, those parents are doing their own kids a disserive. You need to win the ball with your skills. Not by playing dirty.

Comment

So to recap. Your team played like a bunch of miscreants in the fall. The opposing team left the game pissed. Rematch, now your team is the one acting like the 'princesses' and you are parent complaining that the other team played 'a little too aggressively'.

Comment

So to recap. Your team played like a bunch of miscreants in the fall. The opposing team left the game pissed. Rematch, now your team is the one acting like the 'princesses' and you are parent complaining that the other team played 'a little too aggressively'.
            Negative, champ. You probably know better than to think that aggressive play is analogous to shirt tugging, tripping, shoving in the back, etc. At least our kids do. And nobody on our sideline has ever yelled to push or elbow a player, either.

Back under your bridge.

Comment

Negative, champ. You probably know better than to think that aggressive play is analogous to shirt tugging, tripping, shoving in the back, etc. At least our kids do. And nobody on our sideline has ever yelled to push or elbow a player, either.

Back under your bridge.
              Did you win game 1 in the fall and lose game 2 this Spring?

Did anyone get hurt? How many cards were issued? If the answer is no to either, my guess is that your pride was injured most of all.

P.S. I bet the other team was pretty convinced that your team played dirty last Fall. Sounds familiar huh?

Comment

Did you win game 1 in the fall and lose game 2 this Spring?

Did anyone get hurt? How many cards were issued? If the answer is no to either, my guess is that your pride was injured most of all.

P.S. I bet the other team was pretty convinced that your team played dirty last Fall. Sounds familiar huh?
                Won in the fall, tied in the spring.

If you'd look at the title of the thread, it says garbage on the sideline and not garbage on the field. I'm not blaming the kids for the way they played, I was talking about what they were encouraged to do from the sideline. Go pound sand.

Comment

If you'd look at the title of the thread, it says garbage on the sideline and not garbage on the field. I'm not blaming the kids for the way they played, I was talking about what they were encouraged to do from the sideline. Go pound sand.
                  I like how you start this thread to point out awful behavior of parents on another team but then you call these little 11/12 year old boys "princesses". You seem like a model soccer parent yourself.

Comment

Umm shoulder to shoulder contact is legal in soccer.

The other stuff not so much

Comment

Oh, I read the headline and thought this had to do with the Dunkins cups, Poland Spring bottles, candy wrappers, chairs, etc. that are left on the sidelines for someone to magically pick up after.

Comment

Oh, I read the headline and thought this had to do with the Dunkins cups, Poland Spring bottles, candy wrappers, chairs, etc. that are left on the sidelines for someone to magically pick up after.
                        Ha! +1

Comment

The advice is walk away and let the officials sort things out. No one will die from an elbow thrown here and there. Don't retaliate, things escalate quickly and everyone pulls out their video cameras. Just stand away from these nut jobs.

Comment

Red SOLO cups as well if some posts are to believed...

Comment

I am the guy you told to go underneath a bridge. The balance of the posts responding to your original post are from someone else. I am not trolling you. I thought your'princess' comment was pretty classless so I didn't think I owed you much courtesy (and I expect none in return, because, you know your the 'Princess Guy'.

Any adult advocating hurting a kid is out of bounds. That having been said. I am betting your kid's team is hardly blameless. If the parents were that riled up one season later your kid's team must have been pretty bad. I don't know how many times I have seen some jack@$$ dad blow his top because 'Landon' got a yellow card after injuring a player on a dangerous play. Freaking out while the injured player is being carried off the field. I am sure your kid is fine. But I am not going to trust your judgement of the situation any more than I trust the other lunatic parents.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X