Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Be assured btdt did not write that. I would like to hear from many sides. His opinion would be welcome as well. Why can't we just be civil here?
    OP
    And yet you have passed repeatedly on expounding when asked for more details, and you have oddly responded with vague platitudes and vague "thank yous" where it isn't even clear what you are thanking.

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to compose this. It's all great points.
      OP
      You're welcome. There are a few normal people on here with no agendas.

op

Comment

And yet you have passed repeatedly on expounding when asked for more details, and you have oddly responded with vague platitudes and vague "thank yous" where it isn't even clear what you are thanking.
        Sometimes it's ok just to say thank you. You know you are reading a little kid soccer forum right?

Comment

Giving up on club altogether might not be the best track if she 1)enjoys the game 2) wants to play in HS 3) has even a glimmer of hope that she might want to play in college one day. You don't have to do ECNL to do #3 but you will need to keep playing club, preferably a higher level like NPL. As many have said #2 is a pre-requisite for many HS teams, or at least to get decent playing time. #1 should always be the first priority. It won't be fun if she's in over her head (eg ECNL but perhaps shouldn't be) or a very big fish in a small pond - if you're a good play you'll get frustrated if none of your teammates are.

It's tryout time - take her to some better clubs and see where she fits in and what she wants. Also her current coach might not be the right fit and could explain some of the lack of motivation. That said, in middle school lots of kids who have been playing pretty intensely for awhile begin to scale back to pursue other things, some dropping out altogether. If you stick with some kind of club soccer you'll still have expenses. It will be better than ECNL but it will still cost you
          This all sounds about right to me, but I'd just make the point that there are a wide spectrum of clubs out there (including factors such as cost, commitment, level of play). Maybe there's a local MAPLE club around the corner with a good coach- could well be substantially less $, travel and commitment required, but still in the game. She might be a big fish in a small pond, but it could also be a chance to bring the fun back. Don't know all the details of your current situation, but just switching to a female coach did wonders for my daughter.

Comment

Btw, keeping your daughter on a short leash (yes, phone spell check failed you there as well) was a really nice touch. Telling, really.
            Why is that telling? If you are unsure of your child's commitment level to the sport and their future in it, you are only ******* money away by forcing them to do something they do not want to do. Sounds like sound advise to me you troll.

Comment

Why is that telling? If you are unsure of your child's commitment level to the sport and their future in it, you are only ******* money away by forcing them to do something they do not want to do. Sounds like sound advise to me you troll.
              Hey d-bag, read the title of thread. The "OP" asked about whether club is needed to play D2 or D3. The answer is YES for everything except possibly low-end D3. The other thing that gets missed in these constant attacks is that it's not just about whether you can make a team but can you be an effective player who plays enough and at high enough of a level to make the experience worthwhile. You don't actually play and make a difference at the upper level of D3 without being very prepared and preparing with high levels of training and competition. The data in this regard is overwhelming regardless of what any single person tells you on this site. That's why the questions about what kind of schools the parent is imagining are important if the "OP" truly wanted real information and to have a discussion. Furthermore, at no point did the "OP" say his kid was being forced to play or didn't want to play. Instead, the "OP" wondered if his kid is slacking off a little too much. The thread is yet another more than obvious attempt to persuade others that spending money over several years is only worth it if D1 money is the end result. That is by far a minority opinion.

Comment

Just because she's not on an ECNL team doesn't mean she can't play D1. A local girl was on her club's "C" team at U13 and committed top 40 D1 team by sophomore year. Non-ECNL team, BTW. Don't let anyone tell you or her she can't do it. My suggestion is to look at the roster of the schools she may be interested in and see which clubs the players came from.

Comment

There are something like 8 D3 conferences in New England. Some of those schools are just fine academically. So if the kid can play at a decent pace and level they should be marketed to those specific institutions by reaching out to the coach. Rosters change yearly sometimes opening up multiple spots. No high level club experience necessary if the kid has played two or more seasons per year for long enough to get the game.

Comment

There are something like 8 D3 conferences in New England. Some of those schools are just fine academically. So if the kid can play at a decent pace and level they should be marketed to those specific institutions by reaching out to the coach. Rosters change yearly sometimes opening up multiple spots. No high level club experience necessary if the kid has played two or more seasons per year for long enough to get the game.
                    No high level club needed to play where specifically? That's the question.

Comment

Hey d-bag, read the title of thread. The "OP" asked about whether club is needed to play D2 or D3. The answer is YES for everything except possibly low-end D3. The other thing that gets missed in these constant attacks is that it's not just about whether you can make a team but can you be an effective player who plays enough and at high enough of a level to make the experience worthwhile. You don't actually play and make a difference at the upper level of D3 without being very prepared and preparing with high levels of training and competition. The data in this regard is overwhelming regardless of what any single person tells you on this site. That's why the questions about what kind of schools the parent is imagining are important if the "OP" truly wanted real information and to have a discussion. Furthermore, at no point did the "OP" say his kid was being forced to play or didn't want to play. Instead, the "OP" wondered if his kid is slacking off a little too much. The thread is yet another more than obvious attempt to persuade others that spending money over several years is only worth it if D1 money is the end result. That is by far a minority opinion.

Well D-bag, since reading comprehension is not your strong suit I will lay it out in first grade terms for you. The response you are pontificating about was in reference to a poster saying that keeping their kid that they are unsure of on a short leash. It has zero to do with your diatribe. Try to stay with the conversation instead of pushing your agenda 24x7 or simply crawl back under your rock.

Comment

Well D-bag, since reading comprehension is not your strong suit I will lay it out in first grade terms for you. The response you are pontificating about was in reference to a poster saying that keeping their kid that they are unsure of on a short leash. It has zero to do with your diatribe. Try to stay with the conversation instead of pushing your agenda 24x7 or simply crawl back under your rock.
                        You'll have to do better than that, BTNT. You said "short leash," not the OP. Disgusting btw. And do you even have a clue about "my agenda"?

Comment

You'll have to do better than that, BTNT. You said "short leash," not the OP. Disgusting btw. And do you even have a clue about "my agenda"?
                          Not BTDT. You can keep your pre-teen girl on a long leash, I'll keep mine on a short one. Thanks.

Comment

Not BTDT. You can keep your pre-teen girl on a long leash, I'll keep mine on a short one. Thanks.
                            Thanks, BTNT. Why the denials? In our house we don't use leashes, period.

Comment

No high level club needed to play where specifically? That's the question.
                              Start here as too many variables without first hand info (about $ grades commute vs dorm.)
                              http://www.d3soccer.com/teams/region/new-england-men

Comment

So your player is still 12 or 13, so there is no way to tell if she will even be playing soccer by college time. play with a good coach and enjoy, don't worry about DII or D!!! yet.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X