Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OP here:

I took the advice and involved my weak side wings more in the plays. Then ran offense vs. defense again and again starting from the wings. It worked like a champ. A side benefit is the wings got better at crossing despite the counter measures. I can perfectly understand why you need speed and endurance on the wing, they run like crazy.

Afterward, we did a scrimmage game, but I added a twist. Instead of goal kicks and throw ins, I had the team taking possession start from the wing with a 5 yard rolling head start. That really reinforced what we did.

Good stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      OP here:

I took the advice and involved my weak side wings more in the plays. Then ran offense vs. defense again and again starting from the wings. It worked like a champ. A side benefit is the wings got better at crossing despite the counter measures. I can perfectly understand why you need speed and endurance on the wing, they run like crazy.

Afterward, we did a scrimmage game, but I added a twist. Instead of goal kicks and throw ins, I had the team taking possession start from the wing with a 5 yard rolling head start. That really reinforced what we did.

Good stuff!
      OP here. The game was this past weekend. Final result was that they beat us by 4 goals, which isn't bad considering they're a competitive team and we're essentially a REC team Interestingly it was scoreless for most of the first half (which seemed to make the other team pretty nervous), but in the second half they made most of their points. Bottling up the top of the box and assigning our outside midfielders to guard their wings worked really well. One of the problems with coaching a REC team is the coach has to select the right mixture of conditioning or skills with the limited practice time we have. We usually choose to work on skills and technique since we're playing other REC teams making the same choice. I have to wonder how much of the point differential between a high level REC team and a competitive team comes from just their conditioning alone. This is the second time we've played a higher ranked team and held it close only to fall apart at the end. Now I'll try to get the kids to run on their own time to close the gap.

Comment

OP here. The game was this past weekend. Final result was that they beat us by 4 goals, which isn't bad considering they're a competitive team and we're essentially a REC team Interestingly it was scoreless for most of the first half (which seemed to make the other team pretty nervous), but in the second half they made most of their points. Bottling up the top of the box and assigning our outside midfielders to guard their wings worked really well. One of the problems with coaching a REC team is the coach has to select the right mixture of conditioning or skills with the limited practice time we have. We usually choose to work on skills and technique since we're playing other REC teams making the same choice. I have to wonder how much of the point differential between a high level REC team and a competitive team comes from just their conditioning alone. This is the second time we've played a higher ranked team and held it close only to fall apart at the end. Now I'll try to get the kids to run on their own time to close the gap.
        If you train less than 4-5 days a week, it is a waste of training time to focus on fitness. Most club teams are 2, maybe 3 days a week and it should all be technical and tactical sessions. Good hard sessions can certainly help, but it is not a replacement for a proper regimen.
        Many of the top players are fitness training on their own and it makes a huge difference.

Comment

You lost me when I read you employ a sweeper. Sorry.
          There's nothing wrong with a sweeper if it's called for. Your an idiot for replying like so.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          Working...
          X