Do you need to play club to make 2'nd or 3'rd Div school

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to believe that there are lots of other people out there who don't view any of this stuff as an investment/return analysis. You pay for your kid to play because they enjoy it, it's good exercise, it's better than smoking dope behind the high school, etc.

And if you're kid is a really good player who wants to continue playing and they have really good grades, it could significantly help them to get into an elite D3 academic school- I would imagine this is the aspiration for most ISL-type families (although of course there are a subset who will go D1 and maybe even get some athletic money).

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I have to believe that there are lots of other people out there who don't view any of this stuff as an investment/return analysis. You pay for your kid to play because they enjoy it, it's good exercise, it's better than smoking dope behind the high school, etc.

And if you're kid is a really good player who wants to continue playing and they have really good grades, it could significantly help them to get into an elite D3 academic school- I would imagine this is the aspiration for most ISL-type families (although of course there are a subset who will go D1 and maybe even get some athletic money).

Ding, ding ,ding, we have a winner!!! This is exactly why we have supported our kid playing club soccer. Well said.

Trolls, please proceed with your regularly scheduled bashing....

Comment

Ding, ding ,ding, we have a winner!!! This is exactly why we have supported our kid playing club soccer. Well said.

Trolls, please proceed with your regularly scheduled bashing....
        Because soccer player don't smoke dope?

Comment

Because soccer player don't smoke dope?
          they do, just a lot less often. having something constructive to do 5-6 days a week leaves a lot less time to get into trouble.

Comment

Excuse me, but aren't these the same types who will pay $40-50,000 for a high school education when we have a free public education system in this country? Their kids typically graduate from smoking dope to the heavy stuff quite early on and they certainly aren't out in the elements behind the high school. Usually they are right there beside Dad's mistress shooting up in the family mansion.

Comment

Excuse me, but aren't these the same types who will pay $40-50,000 for a high school education when we have a free public education system in this country? Their kids typically graduate from smoking dope to the heavy stuff quite early on and they certainly aren't out in the elements behind the high school. Usually they are right there beside Dad's mistress shooting up in the family mansion.

Bad family values is no different whether your net worth is $0 or $10,000,000. Having said that, sending your children to public schools should be considered a form of neglect or child abuse. Just don't do it.

Comment

Bad family values is no different whether your net worth is $0 or $10,000,000. Having said that, sending your children to public schools should be considered a form of neglect or child abuse. Just don't do it.
                C'mon, you get out of it what you put into it. Not everyone can afford to send to private institutions.

I grew up in a suburb, and we had no HS. Our school system was among the best in the states, but we went to Big City HS. From there, I played with future:

Brain Surgeon
                Heart Surgeon
                Fireman
                Lawyer
                Wall St. whiz retired at 30
                CPA
                Public School Teacher
                Project Manager
                Engineer
                Laborer
                Restaurant Owner
                A couple of worker bees.

Comment

The point is that some (many/most?) don't view the whole club thing as an "investment/return analysis." Some may view it that way, but particularly for boys (given the low $$ available), I'd imagine the better investment for most would be in SAT prep classes and then go to a college that gives merit $$.

Comment

This is an example of the typical delusional club soccer parent. They themselves can see that the kid doesn't have the god given tools yet but they are going to leave no stone unturned trying to change that reality. It really is just a waste of money.
                    I am not sure where I am delusional. I am fully aware of my child's genetic limitations. I understand that will limit his upside potential. If anything I am very open minded to his ability.

That said, if I can help him get to a place where he is proud of his skills then it is worth it.

To me this is no different than putting your child in extra math classes to help him be as successful as he can be -- all along knowing he is not or ever will be MIT caliber.

The notion that you write someone off just because they are not the next Stephen Curry is just silly. Every child has a maximum upside potential. Parental resources can help them move close to this ceiling. If it is not a burden to the family then I say it is personal decision.

-- Pathfinder

Comment

I am not sure where I am delusional. I am fully aware of my child's genetic limitations. I understand that will limit his upside potential. If anything I am very open minded to his ability.

That said, if I can help him get to a place where he is proud of his skills then it is worth it.

To me this is no different than putting your child in extra math classes to help him be as successful as he can be -- all along knowing he is not or ever will be MIT caliber.

The notion that you write someone off just because they are not the next Stephen Curry is just silly. Every child has a maximum upside potential. Parental resources can help them move close to this ceiling. If it is not a burden to the family then I say it is personal decision.

-- Pathfinder
                      A voice of reason on ts. I'm speechless.

Comment

A voice of reason on ts. I'm speechless.
                        It happens once in awhile. When it does it tends to take your breath away. But I'm sure the usual idiots will chime in with their "unless your kid is genetically gifted and won't play on the NT, you're wasting your money" speeches

Comment

-- Pathfinder
                          Congrats. Appreciate you finally stepping up.

One correction -- it's still a personal decision even if there is a burden. A family gets to decide what its burdens are.

Comment

Congrats. Appreciate you finally stepping up.

One correction -- it's still a personal decision even if there is a burden. A family gets to decide what its burdens are.
                            You are right. I am not sure why I wrote that line.

-- Pathfinder

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x
                            Working...
                            X