Talking-Soccer.com  

Go Back   Talking-Soccer.com > Soccer By Region / State > Region 1 > New York

Notices

New York Discussions about New York soccer.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-25-2017
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Let's Handicap the current Long Island Landscape

The players
Albertson-Past Reputation, politics
Atletico-Track record
Barca-The badge
Cosmos-Broke
East Meadow-Past reputation, politics
Rough Riders-Town trainers, camps
Surf-Coaches, Coaches, and Coaches
SUSA-Large town affiliate network
Valencia-Low key/Under the radar.

I think it's fair to say that with Barca, Surf, and Valencia launching this September approximately 1000 registrations combined will be locked up. For arguments sake, let's say that those kids are paying in the neighborhood of 3k for yearly training plus winter fees, etc, etc...and we are talking about 3 million in revenue getting pulled out of a very crowded Long Island landscape.

Can the market sustain it?
Will any clubs fold and/or combine? If yes, will it be in year 1, 2, 3 etc, etc...
Will Long Island have a viable Boys DA program in the future? If yes, rank who has the best odds.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-25-2017
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

My low cost club has been getting more calls from outside players to join us than ever before in our history. We've added 2 teams and are approaching max rosters on most of our existing ones.

I guess not everyone is excited at the though of paying thousands of dollars a year on rec soccer.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-25-2017
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The players
Albertson-Past Reputation, politics
Atletico-Track record
Barca-The badge
Cosmos-Broke
East Meadow-Past reputation, politics
Rough Riders-Town trainers, camps
Surf-Coaches, Coaches, and Coaches
SUSA-Large town affiliate network
Valencia-Low key/Under the radar.

I think it's fair to say that with Barca, Surf, and Valencia launching this September approximately 1000 registrations combined will be locked up. For arguments sake, let's say that those kids are paying in the neighborhood of 3k for yearly training plus winter fees, etc, etc...and we are talking about 3 million in revenue getting pulled out of a very crowded Long Island landscape.

Can the market sustain it?
Will any clubs fold and/or combine? If yes, will it be in year 1, 2, 3 etc, etc...
Will Long Island have a viable Boys DA program in the future? If yes, rank who has the best odds.
Not from LI but this appears to be what's wrong with the soccer scene on the island

Namely too many clubs
Players / Parents hopping from one golden club to the next

Seems this year it's Barca. Last year was Surf. In two years it will be some other new club.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-25-2017
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Alot of these kids are not in it for the recreational aspect. If they were they would be on intramural or town travel. The kids, when challenged, do benefit from it.

To the OP, I don't think teams/clubs will fold. I think the opposite. It may increase their popularity for some that may otherwise thought their kid wasn't good enough. They'll be fine.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-25-2017
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Alot of these kids are not in it for the recreational aspect. If they were they would be on intramural or town travel. The kids, when challenged, do benefit from it.

To the OP, I don't think teams/clubs will fold. I think the opposite. It may increase their popularity for some that may otherwise thought their kid wasn't good enough. They'll be fine.
The mega clubs rarely fold - they have enough scale to survive. If they do it usually takes a few years of a downward slide. What is disappearing are the small and medium sized clubs. Not all of them are/were good, but some are/were good training grounds for ulittles or lower level players that aren't strong enough for the more competitive leagues or didn't want a more competitive league. Bigger isn't always better.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-25-2017
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I think it's not beyond the realm of possibility that Barca and/or SUSA aren't able to develop their facilities.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-25-2017
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I think it's not beyond the realm of possibility that Barca and/or SUSA aren't able to develop their facilities.
I think they both will go through with building their facilities. Word on the street is that Susa will downscale because of Barcelona. We will have to see what really happens.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-25-2017
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I think it's not beyond the realm of possibility that Barca and/or SUSA aren't able to develop their facilities.
If Barca wants it bad enough the cost is a rounding error to them. SUSA is different.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-25-2017
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I think they both will go through with building their facilities. Word on the street is that Susa will downscale because of Barcelona. We will have to see what really happens.
SUSA doesn't even have a signed lease yet. They are moving in that direction but need to sign the lease, THEN file the permits, then go through variances hearings and so on and then maybe, maybe a couple of years down the road a shovel will hit the ground.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.