Talking-Soccer.com  

Go Back   Talking-Soccer.com > Soccer By Region / State > Region 1 > New York

Notices

New York Discussions about New York soccer.

Old 08-23-2016
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Surprising but I might suffer through that for access to a free DA team.
Only about 1/3 of DA teams are free. GDA will not be free.
Old 08-23-2016
Unregistered

Quote:
Only about 1/3 of DA teams are free. GDA will not be free.
Even if it is free, how is player supposed to improve if they don't know what to work on? It is supposed to be about development right? Seems they only want to develop certain players and the rest are just practice players
Old 08-23-2016
Unregistered

Any idea of how many boys there are in the DA system overall?

And then how many have made it to a NT camp? Any NT overall?

And how many have gone onto play professionally here or elsewhere?

If it's a low percentage then why bother?
Old 08-23-2016
Unregistered

Random

% of NCAA male soccer players going pro http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...onal-athletics

Top US states for developing pro soccer players http://the18.com/news/what-us-states...soccer-players

Guardian article about why the U.S. cannot produce a stud male soccer star https://www.theguardian.com/football...-a-soccer-star
Old 08-24-2016
Unregistered

Quote:
Any idea of how many boys there are in the DA system overall?

And then how many have made it to a NT camp? Any NT overall?

And how many have gone onto play professionally here or elsewhere?

If it's a low percentage then why bother?
74 clubs. Pick a low number of 22 players per team X 3 teams per club = 4,884 players in any given year. (I'm not going to count the U12s and 13s because they're young and NT/pro isn't relevant yet).

From the DA website (so you can't argue these numbers)

The Development Academy offers various talent identification opportunities for Academy players through both league play and at events. Since the 2007-08 Development Academy season, 19 Academy alumni have earned Men's National Team Call-Ups and 1,250 Academy players earned Youth National Team call-ups. Over 160 Development Academy alumni have played in Major League Soccer, with approximately another 50+ alumni at professional environments overseas.
Old 08-24-2016
Unregistered

Quote:
Random

% of NCAA male soccer players going pro http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...onal-athletics

Top US states for developing pro soccer players http://the18.com/news/what-us-states...soccer-players

Guardian article about why the U.S. cannot produce a stud male soccer star https://www.theguardian.com/football...-a-soccer-star
Nice. Thanks for posting
Old 08-24-2016
Unregistered

Quote:
74 clubs. Pick a low number of 22 players per team X 3 teams per club = 4,884 players in any given year. (I'm not going to count the U12s and 13s because they're young and NT/pro isn't relevant yet).

From the DA website (so you can't argue these numbers)

The Development Academy offers various talent identification opportunities for Academy players through both league play and at events. Since the 2007-08 Development Academy season, 19 Academy alumni have earned Men's National Team Call-Ups and 1,250 Academy players earned Youth National Team call-ups. Over 160 Development Academy alumni have played in Major League Soccer, with approximately another 50+ alumni at professional environments overseas.
So DA has been around for nearly ten years now correct? I"m assuming they didn't have all the clubs right away. Even picking a very low number of 15,000 "graduates" in that time then that means there have been 8.3% NT youth call ups, 1.1% MLS, .3% Europe, even less NT (but really most of the MT never went through the academy system because most are older and it wasn't around. The youngest player trained primarily in Europe).

And don't forgot most of those players are from MLS clubs - they get most of the top DA talent. So the odds of you going pro at non DA? It probably isn't any different than any shot at going pro. But keep it in perspective when deciding to shell out the money, do long commutes, have your kids give up HS sports. Perspective.
Old 08-25-2016
Unregistered

Yes, you can play HS sports for the fun and camraderie but if you're a good athlete it's hard not to think a little bit about the role your athleticism might play in tipping the scales in your favor when applying to a special college.

My son is passing on the DA club thing even though he could make to one of their teams - a few of his friends from his old town team (that he never left) are playing there and he's still just as good as them. But it seems that the better academic colleges/universities recruit mostly from overseas or just the best of the best in the US.

So he's running track instead. Seems like the odds of getting an admissions edge are better there.

His experience is that the xc kids take school more seriously than the fellows playing soccer.
Old 08-25-2016
Unregistered

Quote:
Yes, you can play HS sports for the fun and camraderie but if you're a good athlete it's hard not to think a little bit about the role your athleticism might play in tipping the scales in your favor when applying to a special college.

My son is passing on the DA club thing even though he could make to one of their teams - a few of his friends from his old town team (that he never left) are playing there and he's still just as good as them. But it seems that the better academic colleges/universities recruit mostly from overseas or just the best of the best in the US.

So he's running track instead. Seems like the odds of getting an admissions edge are better there.

His experience is that the xc kids take school more seriously than the fellows playing soccer.
I encourage anyone considering it to look at the rosters of schools that may be in your target range academically and what you may think athletically. See how many players come from outside the country or just mls da clubs. Also closely examine where club players end up playing. Then weigh that against what you're giving up in exchange for that, how much PT you'll realistically get etc. I works out for many players - but it doesn't work out often enough that some serious due diligence is in order.
Old 08-25-2016
Unregistered

Good point. I took a look at the MIT 2015 roster and was expecting to find a lot of players from Dublin or Copenhagen, but all were from US high schools. And then I looked at the bios of 4 of the kids (out of 30) that went to high schools I recognized as being in the NYC metro area AND NOT ONE had DA club membership listed. They were all HS players.

Obviously smart kids (or they'll get crushed with the workload) but HS soccer seemed good enough.