Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Agreed, but getting on the regional team for everybody after the top 6 is about who you blow and not about skill.
    Truly sorry your kid got cut. Here’s some 💐 to cheer you up.

Comment

Truly sorry your kid got cut. Here’s some 💐 to cheer you up.
      Too funny. Given the cost, I didn't let my kid try out. Glad yours made it, though.

Comment

Not true.

I will never really understand the anti-ODP crew. Yes it has lost some of the better players to DA etc, but if it is serving the needs of your kid, and gets them exposure at a state, regional, or national level for which they can put on their soccer resume ... there is absolutely no downside to doing it imo. So my guess is that all those who poo poo it, either have some sort of personal agenda to disparage it, or need to degrade it simply because their kid is not part of it for WHATEVER reason, and because they feel their kid is a top player not doing it, then it cannot not be looked at as a viable pathway in their weak, insecure minds.
        I have a son that did ODP for two years. He is now on a DAP team. The difference between the talent is dramatic. There were kids on the ODP team that were mid level NEP at best. I think there were only 2 goalies that tried out at the time. One kid could barely run.
        Just our experience..

Comment

I have a son that did ODP for two years. He is now on a DAP team. The difference between the talent is dramatic. There were kids on the ODP team that were mid level NEP at best. I think there were only 2 goalies that tried out at the time. One kid could barely run.
          Just our experience..
          I understand this, but the point remains, that if it is working for your kid, then it really isn’t about the talent around with them. My D‘s team is weaker since the DA kids left, and her ODP team is weaker than her club team overall. But there are still plenty of NPL or ECNL girls who still help to push her enough ... and the ID process is really what it is all about anyway, not so much the level of the team. Unlike club soccer, ODP is really all about the individual player anyway.

Comment

I understand this, but the point remains, that if it is working for your kid, then it really isn’t about the talent around with them. My D‘s team is weaker since the DA kids left, and her ODP team is weaker than her club team overall. But there are still plenty of NPL or ECNL girls who still help to push her enough ... and the ID process is really what it is all about anyway, not so much the level of the team. Unlike club soccer, ODP is really all about the individual player anyway.
            Playing with and against weak competition doesn’t impress anyone. NT coaches and college coaches have abandoned ODP for scouting. You are better off going DA or ECNL on the girls side. ODP will be gone in about 2 years my guess, DA has killed it.

Comment

Playing with and against weak competition doesn’t impress anyone. NT coaches and college coaches have abandoned ODP for scouting. You are better off going DA or ECNL on the girls side. ODP will be gone in about 2 years my guess, DA has killed it.
              The ODP Region 1 team is filled with ECNL players up and down the east coast.

Comment

Still watered down because of DAP. If you are in it for exposure you are waisting your time.
                If you look at it as extra training and isn’t a long drive then fine, Have at it!

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                  Maybe at younger ages. Good for younger ages. It gets to be impossible and the quality goes down as kids get older.

Comment

Be proud of your choices

Not true.

I will never really understand the anti-ODP crew. Yes it has lost some of the better players to DA etc, but if it is serving the needs of your kid, and gets them exposure at a state, regional, or national level for which they can put on their soccer resume ... there is absolutely no downside to doing it imo. So my guess is that all those who poo poo it, either have some sort of personal agenda to disparage it, or need to degrade it simply because their kid is not part of it for WHATEVER reason, and because they feel their kid is a top player not doing it, then it cannot not be looked at as a viable pathway in their weak, insecure minds.
                    Ding Ding. Insecure parents with need to reinforce their choices “poo poo” ODP

Every family has a different situation, and ODP is a good option for some
                    My observations (girls)
                    EVERY level is diluted, ODP included
                    ODP is below DA/Ecnl overall, but there are individual players at DA level (most are not)
                    R1 Camp attendance is portrayed as selective, but everyone that makes MA team for R1 tourney in June is usually invited
                    R1 Camp in July is zero politics and zero sensitivity. List posted each night, and it gets smaller each day. D called it Hunger Games.
                    Boca Inter.Regional (national) tourney over Thanksgiving is legit soccer loaded with college coaches from power 5 conferences.

As others have said focus of odp is individual development, not team performance.
                    At one point it was also for individual identification for NT pool, but I agree DA is playing that role now

Net: If D is already playing DA or tagged in ID2, ODP isn't necessary. If DA isn't an option (no HS) and MA ECNL clubs are poor fit, ODP is an alternative.

Comment

Correct. If your kid is able to earn the resume item then there really is no downside. The bigger question is what do you replace the ODP regional pool with if you don’t partipate? Let’s face it, if your kid can’t make the regional pool is anything going to help them get recruited? One of the great things about ODP is it was always a third party reference point that a smart parent could use to guage their future club soccer participation level.

Comment

"One of the great things about ODP is it was always a third party reference point that a smart parent could use to guage their future club soccer participation level."

*** this is spot on

Comment

Your kid will grow at Region I camp. It is tough and separates wheat from chaff. A huge mental challenge for kids. Don’t do it if you are expecting some coach to give your kid a magic pill and make them a great player. It is an identification platform and does not claim to be anything else.

Comment

Your kid will grow at Region I camp. It is tough and separates wheat from chaff. A huge mental challenge for kids. Don’t do it if you are expecting some coach to give your kid a magic pill and make them a great player. It is an identification platform and does not claim to be anything else.
                            I’m a parent of a boy player. It’s very good training with high level players. I have found it helpful because it introduces him to new players and coaches. He’s probably not good enough for DA, but I know he’s as good as some players currently on DA teams. He’ll play HS soccer in a big school program and he can decide if he wants to pursuit college soccer when he reaches HS.
                            ODP is another tool in development. I have never heard a parent mention anything about national teams, college recruitment or scholarships. I’m sure some think this will help, but not something I’ve heard.

Region 1 camp is brutal. The kids really get tested, they get to see for themselves, without parent involvement, how they stack up with hundreds of very talented kids, many DA level players.

We’re not looking for exposure, just a chance to play with and against some of the states better players. My son has formed friendships with kids from all over and they will likely face each other in the future, if they continue on this path. Before you respond...I didn’t say best players. I’ve noticed some people on here are pretty sensitive about that.

Comment

Debating on whether or not this is worth the time and money for my 2007 daughter. Something tells me it’s nothing more than SSS team and company. I smell politics.

Comment

Debating on whether or not this is worth the time and money for my 2007 daughter. Something tells me it’s nothing more than SSS team and company. I smell politics.
                                At U10/11 it's not. Save your time and money.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X