Why did Stars ECNL do so badly down in Florida

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huge disadvantage for northeast teams in opening tournaments, but it is what it is, and if Stars goes to these opening tournaments, especially in ECNL, they need to be ready. I didn't watch 1 second of any game but the chatter around is that they didn't do as well as they thought they would. Hopefully these results will motivate the teams to do better in the next tournaments.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Huge disadvantage for northeast teams in opening tournaments, but it is what it is, and if Stars goes to these opening tournaments, especially in ECNL, they need to be ready. I didn't watch 1 second of any game but the chatter around is that they didn't do as well as they thought they would. Hopefully these results will motivate the teams to do better in the next tournaments.
      you are far too nice and giving Stars too much credit. If you enter a tournament there should be zero excuses. I saw some games and those teams looked slow and played flat footed all tournament long. Not very impressive for ECNL teams.

Comment

So...why would anyone send an unprepared team to a costly tournament in the middle of a pandemic?

Comment

So...why would anyone send an unprepared team to a costly tournament in the middle of a pandemic?
          That is the million dollar question. So far we have from Stars parents:

1. it is the 1st tournament
          2. it was only 2 girls that had covid
          3. some other meanie started this thread
          4. one of Stars teams did ok
          5. Stars will do better next tournament

So why go to a tournament that you were clearly not prepared for and had girls that could be at risk for covid? Million dollar question

Comment

How about to get ready for the upcoming season? You've got to play at some point to get better and teams use pre-season tournaments for this purpose all the time. It is quirky that what is a pre-season tournament for some teams is the opposite for others. Stars teams will be just fine.

Comment

you are far too nice and giving Stars too much credit. If you enter a tournament there should be zero excuses. I saw some games and those teams looked slow and played flat footed all tournament long. Not very impressive for ECNL teams.
              To be fair, and I’m not a Stars parent, I would expect northeast teams to struggle in a Jan, February, or March tournament. Most of these kids haven’t played full field since October and even then, it probably was high school or scrimmages. I’d expect SSS and NEFC to look similarly tired and slow in Texas. Hard to compete against warm weather clubs in the winter, it results in playing primarily defense and panic booting.

My guess is Florida teams would struggle playing in 25 degree weather.... as a comparison. Just saying

Comment

where have you been? It's always win over safety at Stars. They are the most competitive club in Massachusetts and it's win at all costs. It's funny that they get called out for 2 of their teams getting destroyed in Florida and now we learn of a covid outbreak on their teams. That's a very bad look.
                Not win at all costs at an event where uncommitted players are trying to be recruited.

Comment

Because that’s what parents are paying for. Maybe these club owners should have reduced the fees and kept teams out of tournaments until the pandemic has settled down some.

Comment

Not win at all costs at an event where uncommitted players are trying to be recruited.
                    I wonder how their weak performance helped them get recruited?

Comment

I wonder how their weak performance helped them get recruited?
                      I don’t have a kid on any of those teams, but this is a dumb statement. Teams don’t get recruited, players do. Teams at showcase events (whether ECNL or GA) shouldn’t be playing to win. They should be getting players seen. Particularly kids that haven’t committed yet. A college coach could care less which teams win. They care about how the player or players that they are specifically watching perform during the time that they watch a game.

National Championship events are a different story....

Comment

I don’t have a kid on any of those teams, but this is a dumb statement. Teams don’t get recruited, players do. Teams at showcase events (whether ECNL or GA) shouldn’t be playing to win. They should be getting players seen. Particularly kids that haven’t committed yet. A college coach could care less which teams win. They care about how the player or players that they are specifically watching perform during the time that they watch a game.

ok fair point but I saw about 1/2 the games and when a team as a entirety plays slow and looks slow and doesn't mesh as a team it really stands out and that's what happened with 2 of their teams. A previous poster was not wrong when they said Stars played kick and run like they do in U-12. It wasn't good at all.

Comment

It’s not a dumb statement. If the team performed poorly, it’s likely that the individual players on the team played poorly.

Comment

I heard all 3 Stars teams did terrible down in Florida 2 weeks ago and totally underperformed. Scouting report from several people who were down there:
                            They were disorganized all weekend. Players shouting at each other when they would let up a goal, parents were not happy with the results and the coaches and they basically resorted to a kick and chase team which can work in the northeast well enough but not down in Florida in a big national tournament. I caught some of the games on YouTube and Stars looked literally 2 steps slower than their opponents to the ball. It's too bad because back in the day all their older teams looked like world beaters and now Stars teams are just average northeast ECNL teams that have no chance in national tournaments. In fact, good Massachusetts in these age groups like NEFC and Select can easily handle these Stars older teams and are much better than these Stars teams. Maybe NEFC and Select need to change places with Stars and send Stars to GA. Based on the chatter before this tournament from Stars parents it seemed like Stars was one of the favorites in each age bracket. I can only think of why the Stars teams did so bad was because the teams are just getting back to training and the girls are still getting back into shape. Here is hoping for Stars that next tournament will yield much better results than the Florida tournament did.
                            As a goalies dad I am not a big fan of when position players blame the goalie. I see it sometimes 1st hand when my daughter lets up a goal on her club team-not so much in high school- and I hate it. You play as a team and win or lose as a team. That's all I got on this thread.

Comment

Wait...so...all the power rankings and crapping on each other about teams' records are just whistling in the wind then?

Comment

Listen all you Stars haters. We are in a Pandemic and you are going to judge teams from the Northeast? Way to kick someone when they are down. Stars like all clubs up here practice when they can as much as they can. The restrictions up here have created many obstacles.
                                Stars I am glad you entered your teams knowing some kids were out of shape and you were coming in at a disadvantage. The kids were so happy to go and were not upset that they didn't do as well as they had in years past. They were grateful to have the opportunity to play in warm weather as a team and travel.

It's funny how the Stars haters like to rip on Stars teams during a pandemic. A little pathetic and desperate.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X