Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    If Stanford plays like they did, I also pick the Beavers to win but not crush. Stanford might not wait till the last 20 minutes to start playing hard against the Beavers though. Who wins this year between the Ducks v Beavs? If the Beavs can’t handle Stanford, then I’m taking the Ducks!
    Called it. Stanford played better today but may easily end up bottom of the PAC if they can’t find a way to score.

New question is who is better Beavers or Ducks?

Comment

Called it. Stanford played better today but may easily end up bottom of the PAC if they can’t find a way to score.

New question is who is better Beavers or Ducks?
      Too early to know for sure. But the only other common opponent is Cal. Beavs lost 3/1 and Ducks lost 1/0. For whatever that’s worth.

Comment

Too early to know for sure. But the only other common opponent is Cal. Beavs lost 3/1 and Ducks lost 1/0. For whatever that’s worth.
        Much too early to tell. Based on the 4 games over the weekend, my armchair gut feelings:

1. Cal is the best of the 4 teams by far. I predict Cal will finally make it past the first round of the tournament.
        2. Stanford went from best in the Pac to worst when they should be a next woman up team with all the youth national players they have. I don’t think it’s the coaching. I think it’s too many early recruited, early bloomers who were passed up and losing too many of the ones that stayed on top to the pros and to injury. If Girma played, Stanford probably wins (or ties 0-0) both games. But Girma is out. If Stanford loses to perennially weak Utah, they’re done.
        3. Beavers improved greatly last year under the new coach and got lucky recruiting a bunch of talented under the radar locals late. Beavs have more speed than the Ducks and a top notch keeper but let in 3 from Cal. Never underestimate the power of the underdog though. If there is ever to be a year of the Beaver, I think this is it. Beavers have the least recruiting power but went with resume early bloomers left over by the other Pac schools instead of the kind of hidden diamonds that got them ahead. This will limit them in future years.
        4. Oregon is like last year’s Beavers. On a mega rise under a new coach and, unlike the Beavers, not adding many but getting more out of the existing players and shedding some early bloomer “resume over actual ability” players. New keeper the cherry on top. When the injured star forward (whose play still reflects her outstanding resume)can play, Oregon’s attack should advance leaps and bounds. In addition to Oregon having more recruiting power, new Coach Abel seems to be leagues ahead of most other head coaches in assessing players actual ability vs a resume. Combining the lure of sports heaven Oregon with a coach like Abel who will find the diamonds in the rough as well as the top players that the Stanfords, UCLAs, USCs an CALs overlook or can’t take due to academics, bodes extremely well for years to come.

Prediction:
        Beavers best Ducks this year and could end up 4th in the Pac. With some luck, 3rd. I’m really pulling for the Beavs this year because after this, mid Pac might be highest they end up on a good year. Without the recruiting draw of the other schools, the Beavs must continue to be lucky and creative to stay out of the bottom 3. Continuing to recruit missed diamonds is their only chance and they already veered off that course.

Ducks lose to the Beavs but do better this year than last and end up middle of the Pac. But this year is just the beginning. Over the coming years, Abel’s smarts sprinkled with Nike glitter could well build a perennial top program at Oregon. As they move up the rankings, some tippy top recruits will start to pick Oregon over the usual favorites. Pac 12 champs within 5 years.

Comment

Much too early to tell. Based on the 4 games over the weekend, my armchair gut feelings:

1. Cal is the best of the 4 teams by far. I predict Cal will finally make it past the first round of the tournament.
          2. Stanford went from best in the Pac to worst when they should be a next woman up team with all the youth national players they have. I don’t think it’s the coaching. I think it’s too many early recruited, early bloomers who were passed up and losing too many of the ones that stayed on top to the pros and to injury. If Girma played, Stanford probably wins (or ties 0-0) both games. But Girma is out. If Stanford loses to perennially weak Utah, they’re done.
          3. Beavers improved greatly last year under the new coach and got lucky recruiting a bunch of talented under the radar locals late. Beavs have more speed than the Ducks and a top notch keeper but let in 3 from Cal. Never underestimate the power of the underdog though. If there is ever to be a year of the Beaver, I think this is it. Beavers have the least recruiting power but went with resume early bloomers left over by the other Pac schools instead of the kind of hidden diamonds that got them ahead. This will limit them in future years.
          4. Oregon is like last year’s Beavers. On a mega rise under a new coach and, unlike the Beavers, not adding many but getting more out of the existing players and shedding some early bloomer “resume over actual ability” players. New keeper the cherry on top. When the injured star forward (whose play still reflects her outstanding resume)can play, Oregon’s attack should advance leaps and bounds. In addition to Oregon having more recruiting power, new Coach Abel seems to be leagues ahead of most other head coaches in assessing players actual ability vs a resume. Combining the lure of sports heaven Oregon with a coach like Abel who will find the diamonds in the rough as well as the top players that the Stanfords, UCLAs, USCs an CALs overlook or can’t take due to academics, bodes extremely well for years to come.

Prediction:
          Beavers best Ducks this year and could end up 4th in the Pac. With some luck, 3rd. I’m really pulling for the Beavs this year because after this, mid Pac might be highest they end up on a good year. Without the recruiting draw of the other schools, the Beavs must continue to be lucky and creative to stay out of the bottom 3. Continuing to recruit missed diamonds is their only chance and they already veered off that course.

Ducks lose to the Beavs but do better this year than last and end up middle of the Pac. But this year is just the beginning. Over the coming years, Abel’s smarts sprinkled with Nike glitter could well build a perennial top program at Oregon. As they move up the rankings, some tippy top recruits will start to pick Oregon over the usual favorites. Pac 12 champs within 5 years.
          Very interesting take. Hard to argue with it and would be fun to discuss over a beverage. I wonder whether Oregon will be this year's Beavers or this year's Cal. After Cal lost its excellent keeper, it had one terrible year but with an elite keeper last year, turned things around with basically the same roster. If you look at the last two years of Ducks' games, they are closer than it would appear. And the new keeper has a very similar resume to Cal's - in fact, they are from the same club and trained together. Is that enough in this very odd of years? Hard to say.

I think the Pac will be a mess this year with more unexpected results than in the past. Not having a true non-conference season means coaches are figuring things out during conference play. It means teams like the Beavers and Ducks could surprise some of the traditional powers but also mail in a clunker. I think having both teams in the mix, being teams many won't want to play (too bad they have to visit the LA schools so early), will make soccer more fun to discuss. And will make the home-and-home Duck v Beavs games a lot more interesting.

Comment

Both UofO and OSU brought their best game and Stanford was missing a bunch of their best players.

Don't get me wrong it was great to see them both KO the perennial champs. Great to see Oregon schools faring well.

I would hold off on assessments until they play UCLA and the Washington schools. That top five finish could turn to bottom five pretty quickly.

OSU didn't do well vs UP or Cal. The Ducks didn't do well vs sac state or Cal. I am hopeful but don't get too excited until mid-season.

Comment

Very interesting take. Hard to argue with it and would be fun to discuss over a beverage. I wonder whether Oregon will be this year's Beavers or this year's Cal. After Cal lost its excellent keeper, it had one terrible year but with an elite keeper last year, turned things around with basically the same roster. If you look at the last two years of Ducks' games, they are closer than it would appear. And the new keeper has a very similar resume to Cal's - in fact, they are from the same club and trained together. Is that enough in this very odd of years? Hard to say.

I think the Pac will be a mess this year with more unexpected results than in the past. Not having a true non-conference season means coaches are figuring things out during conference play. It means teams like the Beavers and Ducks could surprise some of the traditional powers but also mail in a clunker. I think having both teams in the mix, being teams many won't want to play (too bad they have to visit the LA schools so early), will make soccer more fun to discuss. And will make the home-and-home Duck v Beavs games a lot more interesting.
              Your musings are far more entertaining then having to watch them in real life.

Comment

"Very interesting take. Hard to argue with it and would be fun to discuss over a beverage"

Ninety-eight percent of the positive responses to a post on this anonymous chat board are people responding to their own posts.

What you have to learn is if you are going to respond to your own posts you really have to pay attention to your "tells". You have at least five tells that indicate you are responding to your own post.

Comment

"Very interesting take. Hard to argue with it and would be fun to discuss over a beverage"

Ninety-eight percent of the positive responses to a post on this anonymous chat board are people responding to their own posts.

What you have to learn is if you are going to respond to your own posts you really have to pay attention to your "tells". You have at least five tells that indicate you are responding to your own post.
                  Well, I’m the original poster and haven’t been back on this site until now. Not the same poster. However, I do like the idea of sharing soccer talk and beverages, whenever that becomes safe and possible again. You could join us too and bring a friend. We’ll get a table for four.

My initial predictions were, as I stated, “much too early to tell” and “gut predictions” but it’s fun to speculate when we can’t go watch and can’t even watch via live stream much of the time. Any P5 school that can’t manage to put out a decent livestream of their conference games in all sports should be ashamed. Seriously should redo the pac 12 commercial plugs. You’re not a cutting edge school if you can’t pull off a simple video live stream that any 10 year old could do with an iPhone if all else failed. However, UCLA gets a pass and bonus points for smartest college if they didn’t do one strategically just in case they got embarrassed by Oregon like Stanford did and they didn’t want the public to see that in live time after they already lost to usual bottom dweller ASU.

I will be back to adjust and comment on new gut feelings after tomorrow’s games. Like the other poster said, bunch of whacky stuff going on this year. I will say it has made this sad soccer year more interesting. In the meantime, anyone have insight into UW and WSU. How in the world did the Cougs end in a 0-0 tie in their conference game with dismal Utah? Has WSU fallen that much?

Comment

Funny the “person” who replied to your post uses the exact same sentence structure and abbreviations as you. So ironic. What are the odds.

Next thing you know they probably will have the same fingerprints as you! Coincidence.

Comment

Well, I’m the original poster and haven’t been back on this site until now. Not the same poster. However, I do like the idea of sharing soccer talk and beverages, whenever that becomes safe and possible again. You could join us too and bring a friend. We’ll get a table for four.

My initial predictions were, as I stated, “much too early to tell” and “gut predictions” but it’s fun to speculate when we can’t go watch and can’t even watch via live stream much of the time. Any P5 school that can’t manage to put out a decent livestream of their conference games in all sports should be ashamed. Seriously should redo the pac 12 commercial plugs. You’re not a cutting edge school if you can’t pull off a simple video live stream that any 10 year old could do with an iPhone if all else failed. However, UCLA gets a pass and bonus points for smartest college if they didn’t do one strategically just in case they got embarrassed by Oregon like Stanford did and they didn’t want the public to see that in live time after they already lost to usual bottom dweller ASU.

I will be back to adjust and comment on new gut feelings after tomorrow’s games. Like the other poster said, bunch of whacky stuff going on this year. I will say it has made this sad soccer year more interesting. In the meantime, anyone have insight into UW and WSU. How in the world did the Cougs end in a 0-0 tie in their conference game with dismal Utah? Has WSU fallen that much?
                      WSU is down this year.

Comment

My daughter’s club teammate didn’t play ecnl and was recruited to a Pac 12 team. She also ended up playing half a game during her freshman year. She’s a fast, strong and aggressive player.

Seeing on soccer wire that the 02 Vancouver superstar lasted one semester at University of Oregon before being shown the door. Proof that dominating OYSA doesn’t transfer to success in the Pac 12. This should concern a few GPS, Capitol, and Eugene class of 2021 players. If you want to compete in the Pac 12 - arguably the strongest conference in women’s college soccer - you need to play the highest level of competition in high school. You might not like ecnl (and GDA when it was a thing), but the level of competition is/was light years higher than what any player can get in OYSA. Hopefully the Vancouver player has more success in the Mountain West.

Comment

Funny the “person” who replied to your post uses the exact same sentence structure and abbreviations as you. So ironic. What are the odds.

Next thing you know they probably will have the same fingerprints as you! Coincidence.
                          Come on. There are only two of us here most of the time. We don't care for each other so we don't reply to the other's posts. So if we don't reply to our own posts, then who will?

Comment

Again, since there are only two of us on the chat most of the time we have to reply to our own posts. Otherwise it would seem like nobody is listening. When in fact, nobody really is listening. It's a Cash-22.

Comment

Come on. There are only two of us here most of the time. We don't care for each other so we don't reply to the other's posts. So if we don't reply to our own posts, then who will?
                              I am rather bored. I could smoke the newly legal stuff I suppose but I hear it is not great for you.

Comment

I am rather bored. I could smoke the newly legal stuff I suppose but I hear it is not great for you.
                                Come on. Go for it. Smoke the newly legal stuff. I hear it is great for you.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X