Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Don't know. This is our first experience and we are wondering the same thing. I thought the point was to have fun with your school mates and enjoy being on a team. Club team is impossible to really have friends on as everyone lives scattered to the four corners with some driving up to 2 hours to get to practices.
    If they are scattered, I can see that. My daughter's best friend is from her Club, it's a good mix.

She doesn't see the need to play soccer with her friends, she spends enough time with them. But, to each their own and I don't mean to belittle it. It's just curious that there is so much negative commentary from those participating in it.

Comment

Don't know. This is our first experience and we are wondering the same thing. I thought the point was to have fun with your school mates and enjoy being on a team. Club team is impossible to really have friends on as everyone lives scattered to the four corners with some driving up to 2 hours to get to practices.
      HS generally is fun, but not always. Your kid is new, the regular season is just starting so give it time. If he/she is a freshman on a varsity team that's tougher to break into an older establish team. Most kids do enjoy playing with their classmates and lifelong friends and neighbors, even if the quality of the soccer isn't that good. Yes, it's more social (the soccer snobs hate that) but they're kids and they only get to be in HS once. Some schools and games get decent-ish crowds which is way more fun than playing to six parents and a dog on club sidelines.

Comment

If they are scattered, I can see that. My daughter's best friend is from her Club, it's a good mix.

She doesn't see the need to play soccer with her friends, she spends enough time with them. But, to each their own and I don't mean to belittle it. It's just curious that there is so much negative commentary from those participating in it.
        My kids have had very good HS experiences. One had a state final run, the other gender is lucky the team even makes playoffs at all then is knocked out first round. Most teammates aren't even their "regular" friends because it's 4 grades. There's plenty of ups and downs with coaches, teammates, skill levels (or lack there of) but they have no regrets whatsoever. Then there's fun stuff like wearing team swag at school, captaincies (colleges like that), name in the paper etc. It may all seem silly to adults. But if kids weren't enjoying there probably wouldn't be so much angst about giving it up, would there? Each is kid and school experience is different. Let your kid decide.

Comment

I disagree. If everyone else is just kicking the ball vs actually passing it no one is going to notice if Cindy keeps it a little longer and tries to make something happen vs kicking it up the field like everyone else. My kids team literally cannot connect A SINGLE pass if it isn't the three ECNL players passing to each other one, two, three. They simply kick the ball up the field and surprise the other team gets to it first 90% of the time.
          First world helicopter parent problems:
          My kid is just too good for her high school team. Oh my, What on earth should I do? She and her club friends are the only worthy ones on the team. Will she ever survive the 3 month fall season?
          Real world answer:
          Your kid is not that special. Get over it and yourself. If she’s really as good as you think she is, she’d be playing in the da and you wouldn’t be humble bragging on a youth soccer blog, and high school wouldn’t be an issue. My guess is , she wouldn’t make the team.

Comment

That always goes over well with your classmates.

"Why doesn't Cindy pass?"

"Because this is just HS and everyone stinks, so she can be selfish now, not with her real team."

Good luck with that mom.
            Goal scorers get all the girls...or boys

Would you tell your kid to play crappy in goal or stop everything?
            Most h/s are all about the wins, so if jr gets them there, selfishness gets overlooked real quick

Snowflake argument

Comment

First world helicopter parent problems:
              My kid is just too good for her high school team. Oh my, What on earth should I do? She and her club friends are the only worthy ones on the team. Will she ever survive the 3 month fall season?
              Real world answer:
              Your kid is not that special. Get over it and yourself. If she’s really as good as you think she is, she’d be playing in the da and you wouldn’t be humble bragging on a youth soccer blog, and high school wouldn’t be an issue. My guess is , she wouldn’t make the team.
              Good grief. Not everyone is bragging when they state facts. Kids play highschool to be part of a school team. Some kids have to play because they go to schools with sports requirements. Not everyone wants to play DA, especially in our area. We chose the team we are on and chose the school. Not every soccer game has to be great.

Comment

One of the best high school players in the country -- who was named Gatorade National Player Of The Year, who is now tearing it up as a freshman at Stanford (started every game, has I believe 2 goals, one assist already) played for one of the worst prep school teams. Didn't hurt him any.

Comment

Good grief. Not everyone is bragging when they state facts. Kids play highschool to be part of a school team. Some kids have to play because they go to schools with sports requirements. Not everyone wants to play DA, especially in our area. We chose the team we are on and chose the school. Not every soccer game has to be great.
                  Exactly. Not every soccer player, game or team is great. But someone chose to come on here and post a dilemma about their worries that their “special “ kid, might regress after 3 months of playing on a high school team. Whoa his me ! It’s laughable.

Comment

Exactly. Not every soccer player, game or team is great. But someone chose to come on here and post a dilemma about their worries that their “special “ kid, might regress after 3 months of playing on a high school team. Whoa his me ! It’s laughable.
                    This comes up every year from soccer elitists. It's a few months and don't worry their chance at the National Team won't be lost!

If your kid is happy who cares? Enjoy it because before you know it HS over. If they're not happy, give them the option of training on their own or doing DA. Meanwhile, keep your yap shut at the games because the rest of us don't want to hear it.

Comment

This comes up every year from soccer elitists. It's a few months and don't worry their chance at the National Team won't be lost!

If your kid is happy who cares? Enjoy it because before you know it HS over. If they're not happy, give them the option of training on their own or doing DA. Meanwhile, keep your yap shut at the games because the rest of us don't want to hear it.

Agree with that...but...why is it when a kid doesn't want to play and is happier not, everyone comes out of their holes to blame the parents and they don't know what they are missing and why back in my day I was a superstah for my HS and the social aspect and wearing a jersey??

I continue to ask my kid "you sure?" and she is starting to get pissed because I keep asking. One day she said "I get straight A's in Math, why aren't you asking me why I'm not on the Math team?"

No answer.... li'l *****.

Comment

Agree with that...but...why is it when a kid doesn't want to play and is happier not, everyone comes out of their holes to blame the parents and they don't know what they are missing and why back in my day I was a superstah for my HS and the social aspect and wearing a jersey??

I continue to ask my kid "you sure?" and she is starting to get pissed because I keep asking. One day she said "I get straight A's in Math, why aren't you asking me why I'm not on the Math team?"

No answer.... li'l *****.
                        My kid decided to skip HS this year and I get that all the time. People assume we are making her not play. She made the decision and is very happy with it. She is still having fun with friends and there is more to socialization than playing soccer. All the while, she is training and preparing herself for her upcoming club season.

Comment

My kid decided to skip HS this year and I get that all the time. People assume we are making her not play. She made the decision and is very happy with it. She is still having fun with friends and there is more to socialization than playing soccer. All the while, she is training and preparing herself for her upcoming club season.
                          This would be lovely in theory. My kid goes to a school with a 3 sport requirement so doesn't have a choice.

Not the OP but I have thought similar things, my kid is now a junior and it has worked out ok. Definitely some catch up at the beginning of the club season in terms of remembering spacing and playing a different style but it hasn't been awful. Some of his club teammates play on the top three ISL teams so there is definitely catch up to be done.

To the person who said to keep our yaps shut on the sideline. I don't know where your kid plays soccer but all the parents we have met at highschool games over the past three years have been lovely. No one complains out loud that our coach is clearly not very good and is playing a style of soccer from the 80's. We socialize and ask how the kids are doing in school, etc. I wish people would stop assuming that all parents are *****holes. Most of the ones we know are great.

The funniest part of highschool soccer for me is the number of parents who never played but comment on the refs calls constantly. It is a running joke between me and my husband how many times one particular mom is shocked that no foul was called because of something super minor which clearly shouldn't be called.

Comment

The funniest part of highschool soccer for me is the number of parents who never played but comment on the refs calls constantly. It is a running joke between me and my husband how many times one particular mom is shocked that no foul was called because of something super minor which clearly shouldn't be called.

That's not a HS thing...that's a youth soccer thing. The reality is it's one sport (add in lacrosse, too) where a very large percentage of parents didn't play the game. So, they don't know shlt. The stuff they say would make a great sitcom....

Comment

That's not a HS thing...that's a youth soccer thing. The reality is it's one sport (add in lacrosse, too) where a very large percentage of parents didn't play the game. So, they don't know shlt. The stuff they say would make a great sitcom....
                              Or a fantastic drinking game if only I didn't have to drive home from the game. Agree with lacrosse. I played and still cannot figure out half the calls. I often wonder if the kids know what's going on half the time.

Comment

What we have noticed is that in club the difference is that the parents who don't know what they are talking about don't talk as much and ask questions of the parents who did play and do know something about the game. Possibly we have just been very lucky with our team and a really nice set of parents. They seem less foolish than the highschool parents.

I am also surprised because I always kind of thought that everyone played soccer, at least through highschool. Learning that this is really not the case.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X