Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bad highschool soccer - keeping up skills

We knew it wouldn't be pretty and my kid picked the school knowing the soccer team would not be great. But oof. It is so hard to watch. What does your kid do if he/she plays for a bad highschool team to keep their skills sharp and not get into bad habits so that when spring rolls around they can jump back into club soccer without having to play catch up?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    We knew it wouldn't be pretty and my kid picked the school knowing the soccer team would not be great. But oof. It is so hard to watch. What does your kid do if he/she plays for a bad highschool team to keep their skills sharp and not get into bad habits so that when spring rolls around they can jump back into club soccer without having to play catch up?
    What school? I assume private since he/she picked the school?

Comment

What school? I assume private since he/she picked the school?
      yes private school in New England. Honestly, I'd rather not say since people on this board have been crazy before. But suffice to say it has a reputation for being academically very rigorous, which was the point, and the sports just kind of helped with admissions.

Comment

yes private school in New England. Honestly, I'd rather not say since people on this board have been crazy before. But suffice to say it has a reputation for being academically very rigorous, which was the point, and the sports just kind of helped with admissions.
        Well, congrats to your kid who will be far more successful later in life since he is attending a strong academic school and will also be able to say that he played sports. Maybe he will even be a captain/leader which is something that colleges love. Perhaps he might even 'pick up another sport' and be a well rounded child. Sure, he might be bringing home a state champion trophy or conference title. Maybe he won't be an all-scholastic soccer player.
        But, it sounds like he will fair far better than about 99% of his peer group in the New England area......

Comment

Well, congrats to your kid who will be far more successful later in life since he is attending a strong academic school and will also be able to say that he played sports. Maybe he will even be a captain/leader which is something that colleges love. Perhaps he might even 'pick up another sport' and be a well rounded child. Sure, he might be bringing home a state champion trophy or conference title. Maybe he won't be an all-scholastic soccer player.
          But, it sounds like he will fair far better than about 99% of his peer group in the New England area......
          I agree with this post. However, there are excellent private schools with very high level soccer programs. One can have the best of both worlds at half of the ISL schools.

Comment

Perhaps your child wouldn't have made the team at a stronger school.

Comment

She's not going to go backwards; at worst she stalls for what is now basically 6-7 more weeks. Where she plays club and what she does on her own is far more important than the quality of her HS team. Plenty of good players are on weak teams. Tell her to study hard and enjoy the soccer. How she does in school determines her future, not soccer

Comment

She's not going to go backwards; at worst she stalls for what is now basically 6-7 more weeks. Where she plays club and what she does on her own is far more important than the quality of her HS team. Plenty of good players are on weak teams. Tell her to study hard and enjoy the soccer. How she does in school determines her future, not soccer
                Funny. you automatically assumed is was a daughter. The OP was generic on the sex, which makes me wonder if it is real or not. Fact is, you don't hear very much about Girls soccer in the ISL leagues.

Comment

Funny. you automatically assumed is was a daughter. The OP was generic on the sex, which makes me wonder if it is real or not. Fact is, you don't hear very much about Girls soccer in the ISL leagues.
                  The board is dominated by girl's parents so it's a natural assumption. The poster's advice applies to either gender - make the best of the education, enjoy school sports and do work on your own if you're concerned. Club isn't far away, and there's plenty of bad club out there too.

Comment

Must be why someone started a thread http://talking-soccer.com/TS4/showthread.php?t=158908

But overall you are correct. Probably because the greater availability of spots and scholarship $ makes prep or DA less of a necessity for landing a good women's team spot vs men's. Doing a PG year also seems to be more of a boys thing, not just for soccer.

Comment

HS soccer is a waste of time. Train with your club and rest up after a long cup season. HS 6 days a week is like asking for an injury.

Comment

HS soccer is a waste of time. Train with your club and rest up after a long cup season. HS 6 days a week is like asking for an injury.
                        Have you ever looked at a college schedule?

Comment

Train with what club? Other than DA no clubs play in the fall. Good luck training on your own and achieving the same fitness level as your teammates playing HS. And yes, the HS schedule is what you'll experience in college. with even longer travel.

Comment

Train with what club? Other than DA no clubs play in the fall. Good luck training on your own and achieving the same fitness level as your teammates playing HS. And yes, the HS schedule is what you'll experience in college. with even longer travel.
                            Agreed. I would even go so far to say that some high level HS could give low college D3 a good game. (MCLA was 0-13 last year)

However, it is tough for Freshman and Sophomores that make Varsity. Training/games 6 days a week is a lot. These kids haven't fully developed so injuries are a definite possibility...of course it would depend on the level of the HS program (Small D3 town might not be a big deal for Fr/So).

Comment

Agreed. I would even go so far to say that some high level HS could give low college D3 a good game. (MCLA was 0-13 last year)

However, it is tough for Freshman and Sophomores that make Varsity. Training/games 6 days a week is a lot. These kids haven't fully developed so injuries are a definite possibility...of course it would depend on the level of the HS program (Small D3 town might not be a big deal for Fr/So).
                              Younger players usually aren't getting much PT on V so that then reduces the risk of injury. JV soccer can be more of a WWE match, but sitting on the V bench isn't good for your development either. The HS season is long and tiring no matter how old you are, but if you want to be able to play in college you have to find a way to get through, plus keep up with your classwork

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X