Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there any soccer club that is not just for money?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    How about a little feedback to the players? Keep statistics. Timed runs and speed tests each month. Gym and weights. What should the players work on to get better.
    That is for other sports.

Comment

How about a little feedback to the players? Keep statistics. Timed runs and speed tests each month. Gym and weights. What should the players work on to get better.
      In most cases coaches have players only 3 days a week for 1.5 hours each. They dont' have time for fitness work as they're trying to improve sorely lacking soccer skills. Few clubs have fitness facilities, coaches aren't fitness trainers and most kids shouldn't be lifting any weights until they are of HS age. Players should be working on that on their own if they want to improve that aspect of their game. It's not going to happen in youth soccer. DA is about the only place it does and even then it's very limited.

Comment

Club soccer in Florida has gone the route recently of placing more importance on making money than teaching soccer. No one doubts the coaches should make money, but the fees and costs to play have gotten outrageous, and the product has really declined. I agree with many posters that I am not sure some Rec soccer coaches didn’t do a better job, care more, than some of these coaches who just don’t care, aren’t qualified, and coach 4 teams to make as much $$ as they can. It’s foolhardy and naive to believe clubs don’t see the writing on the wall- US parents are willing to pay silly $$$$ to watch their kid play in some supposed great league. Label their team premiere and that’s an added $$$$. Youth soccer has gone from adults teaching for love of the game and then $$, to love of $$$$$$ and not much caring for teaching the game. I’ve been in FL more than 30 years and soccer without a doubt is a business in this state now. The mega clubs have taken over and pushed out many of the small clubs who had a more pure mission. Don’t get me wrong, parents are complicit in this problem, we’ve created it, and others took advantage of it. Plenty of blame to go around.

Comment

Club soccer in Florida has gone the route recently of placing more importance on making money than teaching soccer. No one doubts the coaches should make money, but the fees and costs to play have gotten outrageous, and the product has really declined. I agree with many posters that I am not sure some Rec soccer coaches didn’t do a better job, care more, than some of these coaches who just don’t care, aren’t qualified, and coach 4 teams to make as much $$ as they can. It’s foolhardy and naive to believe clubs don’t see the writing on the wall- US parents are willing to pay silly $$$$ to watch their kid play in some supposed great league. Label their team premiere and that’s an added $$$$. Youth soccer has gone from adults teaching for love of the game and then $$, to love of $$$$$$ and not much caring for teaching the game. I’ve been in FL more than 30 years and soccer without a doubt is a business in this state now. The mega clubs have taken over and pushed out many of the small clubs who had a more pure mission. Don’t get me wrong, parents are complicit in this problem, we’ve created it, and others took advantage of it. Plenty of blame to go around.
          Agree but still like to have hope that coaches do care about players and teaching them skills. Perhaps these mega clubs can do it all: teach, care, and make money.

Comment

Agree but still like to have hope that coaches do care about players and teaching them skills. Perhaps these mega clubs can do it all: teach, care, and make money.
            Unfortunately, these megaclubs leave out many good players and the reality is that soccer in South Florida is falling in number of players and increasingly loses strength in young people. Now for some people it is business, but for how much longer?

Comment

Gsa

Gainesville Soccer Alliance and Ocala Premier are two clubs that aren't in it for the money. Sure they charge money to pay for cost and what I would say is a very small amount to pay the coaches. But I believe both are nonprofit and basically charge a fair price for what you get. It certainly isn't what I would call pay to play.

Comment

Msga

I certainly don't like the clubs where coaches are coaching four or five teams. Then on game day they have all kinds of conflicts and can't field their teams. A club nearby does that and I can't for the life of me figure out what bull they feed the parents and why the parents think that is OK. My only guess is that they just don't know better. But coaches have very limited time with the kids to begin with so if they aren't there half the time it is basically a baby sitting service and a poor one at that.

I will say this though. The biggest problem is that 3 to 4 hours of soccer training a week isn't enough to really make the kinds of drastic improvements kids should be making where they playing soccer as much as say kids who play basketball or baseball do. In those sports kids typically practice at home, school, by themselves, etc...

Comment

Unfortunately, these megaclubs leave out many good players and the reality is that soccer in South Florida is falling in number of players and increasingly loses strength in young people. Now for some people it is business, but for how much longer?
                  There just aren't enough quality coaches to go around. Coaches at the youngest ages often times are parent volunteers, some of whom never even played, or very young new coaches with little experience. Many will start with a great deal of enthusiasm that quickly fades - beaten down by parent nonsense, the pressure of coaching and working a regular job, very low pay. Getting your high licensure to improve your skills and land better coaching jobs is time intensive and expensive.

One large contributor to Iceland's rise in international soccer is their federation pays for all coaches to get their UEFA A or B licenses. That means even 5 year olds get great coaching from the start. US Soccer is sitting on $150M in the bank. They could afford to help US coaches improve their skills.

Comment

Do you know one?
                    West Florida Flames. They do it for the empanadas

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    Working...
                    X