Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    The age group change was brain-dead stupid, and in the end what did it even get US Soccer
    clubs not having to rebuild teams every year- i dont like birth year ,i would rather have grad year teams- much simpler transition to HS

Comment

yep this is teh truth. In the end we would all be better off if this went back to just a fall school season and then spring for the kids who really want to play more. Academies for potential professional players and thats it. College soccer is not very pretty so it isnt as if getting all these year round academy kids is helping that game progress so aside from making money for the clubs what is the point?
      Smells and sounds like sour grapes. College soccer has improved over the years, especially at the highest levels. Not sure it has anything to do with the GDA or ECNL, but it is better. What I don’t understand is why anyone feels the need to tell someone else what they can and can’t do? Also don’t understand why people begrudge clubs making money. Don’t you make money at your job? I make money at mine. Teachers get paid. Small business owners get paid. It’s the silliest sourest argument I’ve ever heard. As for the expenses being high along with “needless” travel, who cares? Don’t do it if you don’t think it’s worth it or don’t want to. Pretty simple.

Comment

US soccer should put a limit on “premier” clubs in regions. You could decide the number of clubs by population. This would make those teams better since try outs would now mean something. Kids who still wanted to play could join town travel teams.
        Absurd. Some areas have a strong soccer culture, others don't. Should Birmingham Alabama get a similar proportional number of teams as NYC. Market forces should decide how many clubs there. Generally if they don't deliver customers leave. The issue is there are so many leagues where weak clubs can hide in.

Comment

Absurd. Some areas have a strong soccer culture, others don't. Should Birmingham Alabama get a similar proportional number of teams as NYC. Market forces should decide how many clubs there. Generally if they don't deliver customers leave. The issue is there are so many leagues where weak clubs can hide in.
          “Should Birmingham Alabama get a similar proportional number of teams as NYC.”

If you knew how to read and also comprehend what you’re reading, then you’d know the answer to this. Read the prior post again. Key word being population Lamont.

Comment

clubs not having to rebuild teams every year- i dont like birth year ,i would rather have grad year teams- much simpler transition to HS
            Agree it's a stupid change that really benefits so few and hurts too many (trapped players). People say "oh kids don't care, club players come from all over." Yes, club players do. But that happens when kids are somewhat older. Nearly all kids start playing locally in their towns. So the first grader that is just starting out and doesn't see classmates or friends on the field may be reticent to play. Here in CT the impact is less because of our late school start cutoff but we are an exception.

That said, the age change is only one part of many issues facing youth soccer. The "you have to paly at the top or why bother" attitude disenfranchises kids. All the travel, cost, playing all year/early specialization that rarely allows to play for fun and be multisport athlete.

Comment

so you are in favor of Govt (USS)regulation on who is allowed to make the cash? as opposed to letting the free market dictate success
              and why shouldnt high level players expect ROI- they have done the work and are obviously very skilled athletes- the truth is only 2% of HS soccer players will play at the next level- so look around,you should be able to figure it out
              Hey, read the report. The "free market" is not working.

Comment

Smells and sounds like sour grapes. College soccer has improved over the years, especially at the highest levels. Not sure it has anything to do with the GDA or ECNL, but it is better. What I don’t understand is why anyone feels the need to tell someone else what they can and can’t do? Also don’t understand why people begrudge clubs making money. Don’t you make money at your job? I make money at mine. Teachers get paid. Small business owners get paid. It’s the silliest sourest argument I’ve ever heard. As for the expenses being high along with “needless” travel, who cares? Don’t do it if you don’t think it’s worth it or don’t want to. Pretty simple.
                Missing the point. This thread and report is NOT about making money. This is about kids playing the game and how to improve that. Herein lies the problem. So many people equate cost with quality. In almost every example there is no correlation. You need a big pool at the bottom to get the best results at the top. Culling the herd at U9 (especially based on financial ability) kills the chances of quality at the top.

It's all pretty simple. The problem is there is TOO MUCH MONEY involved.

Comment

The point of this thread is around why youth soccer participation is down. High costs and needless travel have driven many away. As you rightly point out, many do not think it is worth it.

Comment

I have another perspective, how about the clubs that treat soccer like it is another version of hockey? All they want is a big kid that can knock people off the ball and they go even crazier if the kid has a big leg.

If the kid head down dribbles, passes to the other team when under pressure or can't receive or make a pass that is ok. As long as they run around like a madman knocking people off the ball they love it.

Perhaps the athletic kids with good foot/eye coordination and technical skills get disillusioned and fed up that they are always put to the side and then take up other sports.

Then we all complain that we can't compete on the international stage. Well, we are playing hockey while everyone else is playing soccer so of course we can't.

And I am not talking about town teams only I am talking from bottom to EDP, DA and ECNL.

Comment

I have another perspective, how about the clubs that treat soccer like it is another version of hockey? All they want is a big kid that can knock people off the ball and they go even crazier if the kid has a big leg.

If the kid head down dribbles, passes to the other team when under pressure or can't receive or make a pass that is ok. As long as they run around like a madman knocking people off the ball they love it.

Perhaps the athletic kids with good foot/eye coordination and technical skills get disillusioned and fed up that they are always put to the side and then take up other sports.

Then we all complain that we can't compete on the international stage. Well, we are playing hockey while everyone else is playing soccer so of course we can't.

And I am not talking about town teams only I am talking from bottom to EDP, DA and ECNL.
                      While poor coaching is definitely part of our woes, but not as you describe it.

Comment

You’re describing HS soccer perfectly. Not at all higher level club.

Comment

Soccer has become a sport that only the privileged, upper middle class, and suburban sport (specially for girls). Just look at the most high school and college team rosters. The folks who have for profit Premier and Academy programs are to blame because they care primarily about $$$,which eventually exclude minorities and not so privileged kids.
                          Such a racist thing to say. Why are minorities considered "no so privileged"?

Comment

It's an economic reality, not a racist statement.

Not the OP

Comment

post said "and" not so privileged. Statistically more minorities are working class poor than middle or upper income. Whites make up a larger %age of working class poor just because they are a 70+% majority. Hispanics have an incredibly strong soccer culture and would be a prime target for soccer participation. But many just can't afford the higher level club soccer that drives the market.

Comment

Whites make up 58% of the working class but over 70% of the total population. Minorities make a up a larger proportion of working class vs their overall population numbers. Go into poverty level and the numbers are even worse - 44% of African American children live in poverty but AA are only

https://www.demos.org/research/under...-working-class https://www.bls.gov/opub/reports/wor.../2016/home.htm
                                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Povert..._United_States

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X