•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    http://money.com/money/best-colleges...herst-college/
    http://money.com/money/best-colleges...va-university/

Look, I never said Villanova sucks, I just said it didn’t belong in the conversation with the Ivy League schools and Stanford. To the guy that compared it to Amherst, academically, they aren’t close as determined by acceptance rate and avg sat score. They cost about the same. For a low income student, Villanova is about 4-5x more expensive. Grads start at about the same.
    For the everybody at a nescac school is racist guy, vanillanova it 75 percent white. Amherst is 43 percent white. The 5 percent black of the ~7k enrollment that are black means there are 350 blacks at the school. Take out the basketball and football athletes and you get what you get at a school that is sits on the door step to philly, a city that is 43 percent black.
    grinders

Comment

Look, I never said Villanova sucks, I just said it didn’t belong in the conversation with the Ivy League schools and Stanford. To the guy that compared it to Amherst, academically, they aren’t close as determined by acceptance rate and avg sat score. They cost about the same. For a low income student, Villanova is about 4-5x more expensive. Grads start at about the same.
      For the everybody at a nescac school is racist guy, vanillanova it 75 percent white. Amherst is 43 percent white. The 5 percent black of the ~7k enrollment that are black means there are 350 blacks at the school. Take out the basketball and football athletes and you get what you get at a school that is sits on the door step to philly, a city that is 43 percent black.
      You’re missing the point, big guy. That wonderful education isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on if no one has heard of it, which is the case on the west coast and Midwest. The Nova grad will have a much greater chance of getting a job through networking, which is kind of the point. Don’t knock other schools without understanding the landscape and overall picture.

Comment

You’re missing the point, big guy. That wonderful education isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on if no one has heard of it, which is the case on the west coast and Midwest. The Nova grad will have a much greater chance of getting a job through networking, which is kind of the point. Don’t knock other schools without understanding the landscape and overall picture.
        So, you are saying that no one on the west coast has heard of Williams or Amherst?

Comment

So, you are saying that no one on the west coast has heard of Williams or Amherst?
          What matters is if prospective employers have heard of these schools and know their reputations and the caliber of graduates they produce.

Comment

99.9 percent of people on the west coast know Villanova only for men’s basketball. Villanova has no Silicon Valley network and no west coast VC network. You know how many Villanova grads will take their first job on the west coast? Maybe 25 a year

Comment

I’m not sure. Have people on the East Coast heard of Pomona, Harvey Mudd or Claremont McKenna? All top 30 schools as well.

Comment

Much of a medium to smaller school's alumni networking and companies that recruit on campus will be more regional. Same with much of the student body. So while many may have heard of certain schools, most grad hiring will fairly local. Will a Boston based company go out to CA to hire some west coast kids from Pomona? Maybe for a very specific need, but generally not. They'll have a stack of resumes from local grads from a Williams et al- some from the areas, some not - who he won't have to convince to move across country or pay to move across country. The big top 30 schools will have a much more geographic diversity and job postings. Certain majors are also more diverse.

Comment

JHU and Loyola are in Baltimore do the racial breakdown of those schools
                  Both excellent schools, and both paler than the community they reside in. It’s interesting that you brought race into this, as sports at big time schools basically destroyed historical black colleges which were vibrant in the 50s and 60s- sports is the great desegregator

Comment

I’m not sure. Have people on the East Coast heard of Pomona, Harvey Mudd or Claremont McKenna? All top 30 schools as well.
                    I have heard of them. Some great schools. All better than Nova

Comment

I have heard of them. Some great schools. All better than Nova
                      I’ve got a newsflash for you. The Nova grad gets the job over any one of those schools every time. It’s connections and alumni base that you pay for. Education is similar at most schools.

Not a Nova grad

Comment

I’ve got a newsflash for you. The Nova grad gets the job over any one of those schools every time. It’s connections and alumni base that you pay for. Education is similar at most schools.

Not a Nova grad
                        “The Nova grad gets the job over any one of those schools every time.”

Painting with some very broad brushstrokes there Picasso. What proof can you provide to your wildly speculative claim?

Comment

“The Nova grad gets the job over any one of those schools every time.”

Painting with some very broad brushstrokes there Picasso. What proof can you provide to your wildly speculative claim?
                          HR Fortune 500 company

Comment

HR Fortune 500 company
                            Well then it must be true!

Comment

didnt UB just get smoked by some u 15 academy boys team?

Comment

didnt UB just get smoked by some u 15 academy boys team?
                                No that's the USWNT that got smoked by teenage boys :)

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X