•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://giphy.com/gifs/week-media-person-RL0xU1daTlMoE

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      This was the warning SUSC refused to listen to when they were considering a DA program. They did not have the numbers to support it two years ago and they have even smaller numbers now.

The "influx" of MA players to their GDA program has not happened and wont happen because they are not competitive in the GDA. SUSC was moderately successful in NPL in 2016 - 2017. If they were dominant then a jump to GDA would have made sense. But middle of the road talent in NPL can't compete at the GDA or ECNL level.

Parents of GDA players in a year or two will have wasted a college tuition payment on a level of soccer their daughter was not capable of playing but SUSC made money.
      I'll bite. Who actually heard SUSC was "considering it" before it was announced? Where were these warning you refer to ?

Currently, I know of one GDA team that has 1/3 of the roster from outside of NH.

If the same teams who were in NPL went to GDA, wouldn't it make sense to continue? The ones who were left, frankly, suck.

SUSC makes the same amount of money if the players were in NPL vs. GDA. Tuition is exactly the same. Expenses are surely more for them.

How is the payment "wasted"? Virtually the same expenses year to year from NPL to GDA when everything.

I like the 'beating a dead horse' graphic shown. It is getting a bit ridiculous watching some of you frothing at the mouth on Monday mornings to get your postings in.

Year 2 has been a step back for some teams, no doubt.

Comment

The club didn't have a lot of options. Continue in a declining NPL? Maybe if they really ramped up the coaching and became a dominant NPL club? Try and get into ECNL? You can try but it's unlikely.

At best it's a break even proposition for them financially. But long term might have been the best strategic move to try and insure the program's continuance. Or not. If it flops (either they pull out from lack of demand or NE GDA craps out) then they'll have to figure something else out. But for now it is what it is.

Comment

So, does USSF have no problem with their “top” girls league including clubs that can barely field a team for games? Absurd.
          USSF has the NE GDA on life support. Whatever it takes to keep the patient alive, even if the long term damage actually makes it weaker. I'm sure the clubs they're playing appreciate all the driving and wasting their time as well

Comment

The club didn't have a lot of options. Continue in a declining NPL? Maybe if they really ramped up the coaching and became a dominant NPL club? Try and get into ECNL? You can try but it's unlikely.

At best it's a break even proposition for them financially. But long term might have been the best strategic move to try and insure the program's continuance. Or not. If it flops (either they pull out from lack of demand or NE GDA craps out) then they'll have to figure something else out. But for now it is what it is.
            I think that's very well said. My only addition is they tried to get into ECNL for years, and JD was having none of it. As everyone else moved away from NPL, you aren't left with a lot of options. They said as much during their initial introductory meetings.

There is some hope at the younger ages, but from '04 and up one can only hope it's bottomed-out already.

Comment

I think that's very well said. My only addition is they tried to get into ECNL for years, and JD was having none of it. As everyone else moved away from NPL, you aren't left with a lot of options. They said as much during their initial introductory meetings.

There is some hope at the younger ages, but from '04 and up one can only hope it's bottomed-out already.
              If Seacoast can't compete in the NE GDA, they definitely can't compete in the NE ECNL. If ECNL was going to add another team in New England, it should be NEFC.

Comment

Older teams is a fairly doomed proposition any way - tough to get high schoolers to give that up, or at least enough of the better ones that you need. SU isn't the only club that has this issue. NYSC's U19s have like 13 kids on their roster. The test is if U14s decide to stay in GDA after say their freshman year in HS.

Comment

Older teams is a fairly doomed proposition any way - tough to get high schoolers to give that up, or at least enough of the better ones that you need. SU isn't the only club that has this issue. NYSC's U19s have like 13 kids on their roster. The test is if U14s decide to stay in GDA after say their freshman year in HS.
                  Agreed. Some parents I talked to in the older ages have said in essence "it's unfortunate we already committed so it's been hard to get it to work".

They couldn't even get a U18/19 roster set.

There has been a couple that I know of who left HS after 1-2 years, and who were successful, to join, but I don't think that is something that will be common. A little easier for those who weren't already in it to leave. I'm sure there will always be some attrition though.

Comment

I'll bite. Who actually heard SUSC was "considering it" before it was announced? Where were these warning you refer to ?

Currently, I know of one GDA team that has 1/3 of the roster from outside of NH.

If the same teams who were in NPL went to GDA, wouldn't it make sense to continue? The ones who were left, frankly, suck.

SUSC makes the same amount of money if the players were in NPL vs. GDA. Tuition is exactly the same. Expenses are surely more for them.

How is the payment "wasted"? Virtually the same expenses year to year from NPL to GDA when everything.

I like the 'beating a dead horse' graphic shown. It is getting a bit ridiculous watching some of you frothing at the mouth on Monday mornings to get your postings in.

Year 2 has been a step back for some teams, no doubt.
                    People and parents involved in club soccer in NH and recruiting services warned SUSC that taking on a GDA team would be difficult due to their demographics, talent pool available in the region, and would result in a long term drop in the quality of players in their program once they diluted it to meet the needs of filling a DA roster that is not competitive.

Its all happening...

Comment

People and parents involved in club soccer in NH and recruiting services warned SUSC that taking on a GDA team would be difficult due to their demographics, talent pool available in the region, and would result in a long term drop in the quality of players in their program once they diluted it to meet the needs of filling a DA roster that is not competitive.

Its all happening...
                      You make this sound like it was common knowledge and even discussed on here. I've been involved in Club soccer in NH since the 70's, and never heard one peep of discussion about it before it came about.

So, enlighten me, old wise one...when/where did these discussions take place BEFORE the announcement in April, 2018.

As for the recruiting services having a different opinion, I won't vouch for all as I don't know them all. But, the ones we speak to have a different opinion than you state. And, I know of players given an opportunity that were not available without it.

Again, I won't vouch for all but the information we have is that for some individuals, it is the correct move. I'll repeat: for some individuals.

Comment

Count me as one who never considered GDA to be necessary path, at least originally. Even now, I've been vocal about some good and some bad. Would gladly avoid the travel if there was a better opportunity/league today.

That being said, the feedback we've received has been very positive, and a little surprising. Could we have got all without "being forced" into it (and, frankly it was a little forced)? Hard to say, but I sincerely doubt it. Is my daughter happy? Very much so. Was it all worth it? Probably, but it's not a slam dunk. Will keep asking and answering those same questions every spring until she goes off to college.

-05 Dad

Comment

I think the only thing I have to say to whoever says they had to get out of a declining NPL, is, but why? Yes, they had one team do well at U14 and another do moderately well at U13. But NONE of those teams were slaughtering the competition week in and week out. NH doesn't have the #s to support a strong GDA team. I think a lot of people feel like they could have stayed in NPL and focused on being really, really good at that. They weren't there yet. Plenty of NH athletes will stay in NE for college and could be well served by a strong NPL program. Now they've got a weak GDA program and a weak NPL program. Who's being served? And I know there is an "05" (04?) dad who has a happy kid but there are many more kids who would have been better served by building a strong NPL program and those outliers who realistically could play top D1 could move if needed.

GDA in NH is like serving spoiled filet mignon to a customer who would have appreciated a really well cooked t-bone.

My angle, for what it's worth, is someone who has long been involved in girls soccer in NH. I'm not worried about my daughter being in the best or most prestigious league. I'm worried about what program will best serve the largest number of girls. Obviously dads will, understandably, have different priorities.

I also don't think SU was trying to make a bigger profit or do anything sketchy. I think they made what they thought was a good decision. I just disagree that it actually was.

Comment

I think the only thing I have to say to whoever says they had to get out of a declining NPL, is, but why? Yes, they had one team do well at U14 and another do moderately well at U13. But NONE of those teams were slaughtering the competition week in and week out. NH doesn't have the #s to support a strong GDA team. I think a lot of people feel like they could have stayed in NPL and focused on being really, really good at that. They weren't there yet. Plenty of NH athletes will stay in NE for college and could be well served by a strong NPL program. Now they've got a weak GDA program and a weak NPL program. Who's being served? And I know there is an "05" (04?) dad who has a happy kid but there are many more kids who would have been better served by building a strong NPL program and those outliers who realistically could play top D1 could move if needed.

GDA in NH is like serving spoiled filet mignon to a customer who would have appreciated a really well cooked t-bone.

My angle, for what it's worth, is someone who has long been involved in girls soccer in NH. I'm not worried about my daughter being in the best or most prestigious league. I'm worried about what program will best serve the largest number of girls. Obviously dads will, understandably, have different priorities.

I also don't think SU was trying to make a bigger profit or do anything sketchy. I think they made what they thought was a good decision. I just disagree that it actually was.
                            Exactly - as an 04 parent myself (not GDA or SUSC anymore - we moved to GPS in 2018) I can't understand the logic of leaving a declining NPL when your teams were (at best) middle of the road in the "declining NPL to go UP to GDA! Its not a smart organizational move.

I see all the posts here about "individuals" being the right move for them but if you don't have enough individuals to field competitive rosters and make a viable program you can't sustain long term viability. My job involves this everyday - maintaining long term viability in the business world is the key to success.

SUSC did not look at the logistics of their move to GDA. We went to those informational meetings in 2018 and there were too many unanswered questions and too many "shiny" things dangled out in front of players and parents which were red flags for us.

Weather they were told not to make the move or not is irrelevant - that poster is right... this is a failure for the club and they never should have made the leap with the already shallow pool of players NH offers.

I look at my daughters HS team - they play NHIAA DII - on a good team that is competitive each season. But nobody would willingly move up to DI when they only win 10 or 11 games each season to play Bedford, Exeter, Central or Londonderry... That school and coach would be insane to do it. Look what happened to Portsmouth - really good DII program - top 6 each year - 12 -13 wins and then when they had to move up to DI they were a .500 team.

This is what has happened with this GDA experiment. They were already a .500 program at best in NPL (which everyone admits was declining) to move up to GDA where they are in the bottom 2 in their league.

Denial is an amazing defense mechanism but its time to admit this is not working and won't last.

Comment

The more people look at results as the determining factor, the further you drift from the overall point.

So, please, keep going.

Comment

The more people look at results as the determining factor, the further you drift from the overall point.

So, please, keep going.
                                As it continues the results that matter are college commits. There, you'll see some disappointing results. Having a patch on your sleeve might get you looks but it won't get you recruited.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X