Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parents don't support me playing soccer...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all,
    I am currently a sophomore in high school, and I am on the varsity soccer squad. We have a mandatory practice schedule from 3:30 to 6pm every school day, games some days, and practice every sunday from 6-8pm.

Now, I don't go to my public town high school, and I chose a smaller and farther away magnet school instead. My parents said that I could play soccer there as long as they did not need to come pick me up after practice, because both my parents work and cannot make it to my school at 6pm. I agreed, and have been spending ab 1.5 hours on public transportation to get home since. Sometimes, I even get home at 9pm if traffic is bad. I do this all while studying to keep my grades up, working on side code projects, working on competitive math, and violin. I barely have anytime to myself, because I would rather be playing soccer with my boys than sitting home and playing video games (odd opinion, but true). As of now, my dad has gone crazy, and is threatening to have me removed from the soccer team, so I can come home on the bus like a normal child at 3:30pm, so I can have more time to study. My schedule literally doesnt interfere with one second of their time, and I have to work on the weekends just to have enough money for the bus fares home. My grades are all where they should be, all above A-, and the soccer season is only 2 more months in our district. I see no point in any of my dad's reasoning and logic, that I need more studying time, and yet he is willing to "beat the **** out of me" if I refuse and continue to play soccer. I just want to play ****in soccer man. I dont really need help, nothing much anyone can do, just wanted to 'rant' I guess.

any suggestions on what I could do to change his mind are welcome, I dont bite, im just in a sour mood right now.

~JLee7

Originally posted by Justinlee7 View Post
    Hi all,
    I am currently a sophomore in high school, and I am on the varsity soccer squad. We have a mandatory practice schedule from 3:30 to 6pm every school day, games some days, and practice every sunday from 6-8pm.

Now, I don't go to my public town high school, and I chose a smaller and farther away magnet school instead. My parents said that I could play soccer there as long as they did not need to come pick me up after practice, because both my parents work and cannot make it to my school at 6pm. I agreed, and have been spending ab 1.5 hours on public transportation to get home since. Sometimes, I even get home at 9pm if traffic is bad. I do this all while studying to keep my grades up, working on side code projects, working on competitive math, and violin. I barely have anytime to myself, because I would rather be playing soccer with my boys than sitting home and playing video games (odd opinion, but true). As of now, my dad has gone crazy, and is threatening to have me removed from the soccer team, so I can come home on the bus like a normal child at 3:30pm, so I can have more time to study. My schedule literally doesnt interfere with one second of their time, and I have to work on the weekends just to have enough money for the bus fares home. My grades are all where they should be, all above A-, and the soccer season is only 2 more months in our district. I see no point in any of my dad's reasoning and logic, that I need more studying time, and yet he is willing to "beat the **** out of me" if I refuse and continue to play soccer. I just want to play ****in soccer man. I dont really need help, nothing much anyone can do, just wanted to 'rant' I guess.

any suggestions on what I could do to change his mind are welcome, I dont bite, im just in a sour mood right now.

~JLee7
    So crazy that so many parents have opinions, but not one can offer any help to you.

As you said, your parents are concerned about your study time being impacted by the needs of soccer and travel while perhaps being unable to help you. Many parents are in the same boat, and sometimes its the feeling of guilt of being unable to help you while believing the correct path to college may be different (e.g. violin virtuoso). We all go through that pain with HS soccer as parents.

Have you talked to any other team mates families about being able to help you a little bit with travel? Can you tell your dad you will leave your team if your grades start to suffer, and treat soccer as a reward for your good grades?

Comment

Originally posted by Justinlee7 View Post
      Hi all,

~JLee7

My parents never supported me either when I was in HS....so I forged the papers to allow myself to be on the soccer team, wrestling team, lacrosse teams, and track teams in HS.
      Now I have my own family and I support my boys as much as possible....So In Summary, FK mom and dad, and do what makes you happy...but always, always keep the grades up.

Comment

hey, I love your attitude, keep doing what you're doing.
        Wish my son had some of your drive!

Comment

Looking at your name, I am guessing you are Asian? You can tell your dad that for college admissions, an Asian-American kid who was a 3-4 year Varsity soccer player in high school is a good differentiator for you when you apply to college as there aren't a lot of those compared to other ethnicities. Who knows, maybe you can even win some scholar-athlete awards, coach's awards, and possibly even become a team captain your senior year. All of these things look great on a college application, and definitely uncommon/unique as an Asian-American applicant. Combined with your other attributes (top grades, competitive math and music, side coding, etc), 3-4 year varsity co-captain of your magnate school soccer team would be amazing.

Comment

AGree with this. Tell your parents to look into recent Harvard admission scandal and litigation - turns out non-academinc factors weighed much more than people assumed, and lower "personality" scores, athletic participation etc., all hurt asian american applicants. That sports can help is a foreign concept to those from other countries, since its really only a factor in US college admissions. Lastly, talk to the coach about your situation -- if he is sympathetic, he may have some ideas or solutions. I give you credit for your efforts!

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
              Looking at your name, I am guessing you are Asian?
              Yeah cause Robert E Lee was Asian. GTFO.

Comment

lmao....So I am a TROLL...I think this is the greatest comeback response I have ever read on TS!!!!

"were not worthy...were not worthy"

Comment

I know 3 Robert Lee’s. All 3 are Asian. I also know 2 Justin Lee’s. Both are Asian. I don’t actually know any non-Asian people with a last name of Lee, tho I do know 2 people whose first name is Lee. Anyways, it was a guess, but likely a very good guess.

Comment

He also gets good grades, codes and plays the violin. Probably Asian.

Comment

I know 3 Robert Lee’s. All 3 are Asian. I also know 2 Justin Lee’s. Both are Asian. I don’t actually know any non-Asian people with a last name of Lee, tho I do know 2 people whose first name is Lee. Anyways, it was a guess, but likely a very good guess.
                      I don't know anyone that knows 3 people named Robert.

Here are some non-asian Lee's for your viewing pleasure:

Spike Lee
                      Cliff Lee
                      Geddy Lee
                      Jason Lee
                      Tommy Lee

I don't know if any code or are good at math.

Comment

I don't know anyone that knows 3 people named Robert.

Here are some non-asian Lee's for your viewing pleasure:

Spike Lee
                        Cliff Lee
                        Geddy Lee
                        Jason Lee
                        Tommy Lee

I don't know if any code or are good at math.
                        I don’t know any of those guys, although I have seen Geddy Lee in concert. I have heard that Neil Peart is very good at math.

Robert Lee is a very common name among Asians. I also know a Jason Lee and a Tommy (Tom) Lee who are both Asian. I myself am Asian, although my last name is not Lee.

Comment

I don’t know any of those guys, although I have seen Geddy Lee in concert. I have heard that Neil Peart is very good at math.

Robert Lee is a very common name among Asians. I also know a Jason Lee and a Tommy (Tom) Lee who are both Asian. I myself am Asian, although my last name is not Lee.
                          Both of you guys are seriously cracking me up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Both of you guys are seriously cracking me up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            Reminds me that Bobby Lee (comedian from MadTV) is technically also a Robert Lee. He is Asian.

Comment

Reminds me that Bobby Lee (comedian from MadTV) is technically also a Robert Lee. He is Asian.
                              Thanks for reminding Me. Tommy Lee (Drummer from MOTLEY CRUE) its not his full name...
                              His full name is Thomas Lee Bass and he was born in Athens Greece to an american serviceman and Greek Mother (hes not even close to being Asian).

Still a kick_ss drumer and Motley Crue rocks!!!!! not to mention he banged heather locklear and pam anderson and that is also always a +!!!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X