Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commitments not happening until junior year

Talked to several college coaches at the weeks winter showcase , the days of getting girls to commit as freshman and sophmores are coming to an end

Thank god , they are falling in line with what’s been going on with the boys , junior and even senior years

My daughter was approached, after last years spring showcase, by a div 2 coach, asking for a commitment as a freshman , she was excited but cooler heads prevailed and we turned it down.

She has grown 4 inches and slimmed down 9 pounds , options wide open and she’s still just a sophomore!!! Lots of positive contact at this weeks winter showcase , from D1 coaches

Comment

Getting a 13 year old to commit is why the level of women’s college soccer is atrocious

Comment

From a player's perspective it isn't easy waiting until the end of the junior year or senior year to be commited and feel like they have a clear direction for college. Once players commit they often feel less pressure and can settle in to focusing on player development and school demands.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          My daughter was approached, after last years spring showcase, by a div 2 coach, asking for a commitment as a freshman , she was excited but cooler heads prevailed and we turned it down.

She has grown 4 inches and slimmed down 9 pounds , options wide open and she’s still just a sophomore!!! Lots of positive contact at this weeks winter showcase , from D1 coaches
          Had to have high, high hopes for a living
          Shooting for the stars when I couldn't make a killing
          Didn't have a dime but I always had a vision
          Always had high, high hopes

Had to have high, high hopes for a living
          Didn't know how but I always had a feeling
          I was gonna be that one in a million
          Always had high, high hopes

Panic! At The Disco

Comment

How Much for the Little Girl? The Women? How Much for the Women? Sell me your women!

College commitments. Legalized slavery at its finest.

Comment

Talked to several college coaches at the weeks winter showcase , the days of getting girls to commit as freshman and sophmores are coming to an end

Thank god , they are falling in line with what’s been going on with the boys , junior and even senior years
              It's not going away but over time it will slow down. There's still a lot of loopholes (players can call coaches, just no the other way around; clubs can act as intermediaries; players can still go to ID events on campus but can't talk about "recruiting - like thats enforceable). Studs will still get recruited early, it just will be keep on the down low and then Sept 1 junior year will see a flurry of "commitments." A more typical player will start to look like the boys process

Having had a boys and a girl go through it I'll say the boys side is much more sane and closer to what non athletes go through. Kids better know themselves, what they want, what is a good academic fit. The changes, while not perfect, are at least a step in the right direction. As a parent you need to know your kid. If they're not ready, pull it back. Be the parent.

Comment

From a player's perspective it isn't easy waiting until the end of the junior year or senior year to be commited and feel like they have a clear direction for college. Once players commit they often feel less pressure and can settle in to focusing on player development and school demands.
                Yet that is how non athletes handle it as well as athletes in many other sports including most male players. Early female commitments became the norm and everyone felt the need to get in early before the better opportunities disappeared. As the changes work through the system it will slow down. It's best for the players and the schools. Coaches never liked it either (they're taking big gambles on young players) but were under pressure to give offers early to the better talent or lose them). I'd prefer there not be college showcases until sophomore to take the pressure off 9th graders. A ban on campus ID events until summer of your sophomore year would be good too.

Comment

It's not going away but over time it will slow down. There's still a lot of loopholes (players can call coaches, just no the other way around; clubs can act as intermediaries; players can still go to ID events on campus but can't talk about "recruiting - like thats enforceable). Studs will still get recruited early, it just will be keep on the down low and then Sept 1 junior year will see a flurry of "commitments." A more typical player will start to look like the boys process

Having had a boys and a girl go through it I'll say the boys side is much more sane and closer to what non athletes go through. Kids better know themselves, what they want, what is a good academic fit. The changes, while not perfect, are at least a step in the right direction. As a parent you need to know your kid. If they're not ready, pull it back. Be the parent.
                  I believe the original poster is referring to April 2019. Right now there are still loopholes but numerous coaches are saying it is very likely this April 2019 it will lock down with no more loopholes. My understanding is that there is an upcoming vote on locking this down further and most coaches feel it is going to pass.

Comment

I believe the original poster is referring to April 2019. Right now there are still loopholes but numerous coaches are saying it is very likely this April 2019 it will lock down with no more loopholes. My understanding is that there is an upcoming vote on locking this down further and most coaches feel it is going to pass.
                    Lax already has more restrictions they adopted a year ago or so, and that is what soccer will probably adopt.

Comment

Yet that is how non athletes handle it as well as athletes in many other sports including most male players. Early female commitments became the norm and everyone felt the need to get in early before the better opportunities disappeared. As the changes work through the system it will slow down. It's best for the players and the schools. Coaches never liked it either (they're taking big gambles on young players) but were under pressure to give offers early to the better talent or lose them). I'd prefer there not be college showcases until sophomore to take the pressure off 9th graders. A ban on campus ID events until summer of your sophomore year would be good too.
                      There is only so much time for a player to attend campus ID events and visit campuses. The player will have to be keeping 20 colleges open on their wide lists and getting to really know each college program with high hopes of one coming through in the junior year. It ultimately is best for colleges to make sure players keep developing and are not injured. There are so many players out there with shiny bows and the colleges will need to have a rolodex of hopefuls that might pan out. If they start too early they may have buyers remorse or keep wanting the next shiny object they see at a showcase. It can't be easy on either side.

Comment

How Much for the Little Girl? The Women? How Much for the Women? Sell me your women!

College commitments. Legalized slavery at its finest.
                        The player and college don't make it official with signing until the senior year. However, once signing happens then the college in a sense does "own" them.

Comment

The player and college don't make it official with signing until the senior year. However, once signing happens then the college in a sense does "own" them.
                          Yes it's all verbal up until signing your NLI contract in the fall of senior year (used to be February. now it's November). Up until then either side can change their minds but it doesn't happen often. Once a player commits, not matter when it is, they basically take themselves off the market and the coach considers that slot filled. If the player doesn't develop or doesn't keep up their grades a coach can rescind. The coach can change too, putting your slot at risk since new coaches usually want to bring in their own recruits. Players can change their minds but will have a tough time finding another option if they've waited too long.

Comment

For girls (I don't know boys since I don't have a son who plays): she might end up at the exact same college as a junior as she would have as a sophomore, and she may even feel good that she waited to make the right decision, BUT, as long as colleges are still recruiting sophomores at the same rate as they are now, most of the scholarship money will be gone. For many, that is a big incentive to commit early, if given the opportunity and the school is a good fit.

Comment

For girls (I don't know boys since I don't have a son who plays): she might end up at the exact same college as a junior as she would have as a sophomore, and she may even feel good that she waited to make the right decision, BUT, as long as colleges are still recruiting sophomores at the same rate as they are now, most of the scholarship money will be gone. For many, that is a big incentive to commit early, if given the opportunity and the school is a good fit.
                              True and even if the verbal commits get pushed later to the junior year most of the leg work will still take place the freshman and sophomore years.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X