All-State

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is not a good system. By not having a discussion about players, coaches cannot discuss a players pro's. Teams do not play every other team in the division, at least in Div 2,3 and 4. Coaches may not vote for a individual because they have not seen that player or due to an injury may not have played that game.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      She also has the best midfield and defense in DI soccer in front of her....
      Only one all state defender picked last year and this year. So she must have had a role.

But I'm not debating that. Merely pointing out that stats don't seem to come into play.

Comment

Only one all state defender picked last year and this year. So she must have had a role.

But I'm not debating that. Merely pointing out that stats don't seem to come into play.
        I think the “mediocre” team comment went to the 1st team goalie who is a very good keeper despite an okay team this year. I’m guessing that HM was given to that goalie because of specific circumstances that had to do with a team that gave up 100+ goals. I mean that’s terrible and the poor goalie must have been peppered constantly. Giving all state to a goalie that isn’t actually that outstanding just because the team in front of her is very good isn’t what should be happening. The goalie who stands out should stand out despite giving up some goals and the one that doesn’t really stand out, and instead just stands between the pipes because her team is doing it all shouldn’t be recognized.

Comment

Central goalie gave up 1 goal in 3 play-off games this year, zero goals in 3 play-off games last year. Great defense in front of her, but 11 goals total in 2 years is worthy of recognition.

Comment

Central goalie gave up 1 goal in 3 play-off games this year, zero goals in 3 play-off games last year. Great defense in front of her, but 11 goals total in 2 years is worthy of recognition.
            Central had 4 all state players. Exeter and Londonderry 5. I'm sure that left a bad taste for some at Central who felt disrespected. Especially on the defensive side. Goalie included they have been the best defense for two years in a row and as previous poster noted only 1 all state on defense each year.
            I'm sure the state championship helps lessen the blow. But no system is without flaws. I'm sure when you look at the overall there selections are probably 90% accurate. It just stings those left out due to the flaws.

Comment

Central had 4 all state players. Exeter and Londonderry 5. I'm sure that left a bad taste for some at Central who felt disrespected. Especially on the defensive side. Goalie included they have been the best defense for two years in a row and as previous poster noted only 1 all state on defense each year.
              I'm sure the state championship helps lessen the blow. But no system is without flaws. I'm sure when you look at the overall there selections are probably 90% accurate. It just stings those left out due to the flaws.
              I hadn't noticed that until you mentioned it, but Central was clearly the best team in the state and it's crazy that they did not have the most representation on the all state team.

Comment

Not surprising to me. Sometimes the best teams just have the right mix of players - couple of top players and very strong at every other starting position. Mix that in with a very solid group coming off the bench, girls who would start for most other teams and that sometimes gets it done. Exeter, Central, and Londonderry all get 4 or 5 players but it was very clear that Central was the best team from numbers 5-16 or so. Depth was superior and that is what is sometimes overlooked. I am sure if you asked any coach, depth manifests itself in many different ways including probably where it is most important - practice.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                Working...
                X