Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U14GK-Better for development, playing time or level

I'm trying to make early plans for next year and think my kid (GK) is probably going to have to choose between 1) playing at a higher level with less playing time (1/2 time) or 2) playing at a lower level where he can play the whole game or split time while also playing in the field. Levels would be from ECNL down to top state level. The half time does not have to do with capability and is just sharing time with other capable players. While he's developing, I'm not sure what is best and appreciate any thoughts.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I'm trying to make early plans for next year and think my kid (GK) is probably going to have to choose between 1) playing at a higher level with less playing time (1/2 time) or 2) playing at a lower level where he can play the whole game or split time while also playing in the field. Levels would be from ECNL down to top state level. The half time does not have to do with capability and is just sharing time with other capable players. While he's developing, I'm not sure what is best and appreciate any thoughts.
    Play at the highest level that your Goalkeeper can attain. If they are splitting time with another goalkeeper, ask the club for guest player time on their other teams. Teams are often short goalkeepers, due to injury.

Comment

I received a flyer last week. BWG East 07s are seeking a GK. It states they are out of Huntington.

Comment

Play at the highest level that your Goalkeeper can attain. If they are splitting time with another goalkeeper, ask the club for guest player time on their other teams. Teams are often short goalkeepers, due to injury.
        Have to agree but under the assumption the higher level has a top GK coach? For a GK that's almost more important than team they play on. And is the 1/2 time guaranteed? Make sure it is. Sitting is the worst thing ever, not worth any level of team.

Once in HS they'll get shelled which is some of the best GK Training there is.

Comment

Have him play at the highest level possible. If he is playing ECNL, he will most likely be playing 2 games a weekend, so sharing playtime can be a whole game for each keeper for the weekend. No high level team will only carry one goalie,

Comment

Young keepers need to play- do not worry about the level. It is paramount that he plays and in adverse situations. At times playing on good teams is not ideal for development.

Comment

Young keepers need to play- do not worry about the level. It is paramount that he plays and in adverse situations. At times playing on good teams is not ideal for development.
              Wrong, are you even a keeper's parent? If this player is U14 now, that means for the 21-22 season he will be U15. He needs to be challenged. Playing on a substandard team all the time doesn't help him. He needs strong competition to play against, and he needs to learn to work with a competitive back line.

Comment

Wrong, are you even a keeper's parent? If this player is U14 now, that means for the 21-22 season he will be U15. He needs to be challenged. Playing on a substandard team all the time doesn't help him. He needs strong competition to play against, and he needs to learn to work with a competitive back line.
                ^ this and quality GK coaching. Top clubs tend to have good GK coaching and care about developing GKs. Don't go to a club that gives it lip service.

Comment

I'll just throw out there that not all experience is created equal. Getting constantly bombarded 20-30 shots a game with a ghost back line isn't good experience. Everyone has a game like that now and then against an amazing opponent, but to have that every game because your defense blows isn't healthy. Firstly, it's bad mentally for a keeper. Secondly, shot stopping is only a piece of what it takes to be a good keeper. Third, being able to trust and work with a back line is a necessary skill. Lastly, it's freaking exhausting on all levels.

I agree the keeper needs strong, consistent competition with a capable defense to work with. They need consistent play time, which doesn't equal a half game a week. You need to have a good, consistent keeper coach either through the team or outside that they trust.

Don't make the mistake of going to a super team though in a weak league/bracket. Your kid won't develop and may have a false idea of how good they are. Very easy to think you're amazing when you only see 5 shots a game and most of them are slow rollers.

Comment

I'd vote for going to the top team you can make and splitting time. Competing with another goalie is good and they learn from each other. Also, the speed of play with a team who knows how to play will push him. As mentioned, if PT in total is a concern, talk to the club about how often he may get to fill in on other teams or join other practices when they're short a keeper.

Comment

Don’t go with the team that has a 75% possession per game!
                      😀

Comment

^ this and quality GK coaching. Top clubs tend to have good GK coaching and care about developing GKs. Don't go to a club that gives it lip service.
                        Exactly! Once my kid was serious about being a keeper (around u14) I made sure his team offered this. Just having your coach have scrimmages during practice doesn't help these keepers grow. You need a separate GK trainer/sessions. If your team doesn't offer this, move on.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X