Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    that is a bs opinion....we can take that dumb@ss philosophy further. if thats the case, soccer and probably all sports is unnecessary. I mean really, what good is playing soccer compared to taking that time and studying?

Is there more scholarship money for a kid that plays soccer compared to an academic scholarship?.....NO!

Will you eventually make more $$$$ as a soccer player compared to being a talented professional lawyer. businessman, contractor, doctor, engineer, architect? NO!
    Not OP but your comment of "Is there more scholarship money for a kid that plays soccer compared to an academic scholarship?.....NO!" isn't necessarily true. Several kids on my D's team are getting 75% for soccer from solid level academic schools and aren't getting academic aid...based on their grades and SAT, they most likely wouldn't have even been accepted without soccer.

Comment

Tournament travel still banned for NY clubs continue to ignore

Not OP but your comment of "Is there more scholarship money for a kid that plays soccer compared to an academic scholarship?.....NO!" isn't necessarily true. Several kids on my D's team are getting 75% for soccer from solid level academic schools and aren't getting academic aid...based on their grades and SAT, they most likely wouldn't have even been accepted without soccer.
      great for you and your "little world". now compare this with the rest of reality.
      https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...lege-athletics

The statistics do not support your argument (kudos to your checkbook and your Ds accomplishments she probably special). The statistics are even more dificult for boys.
      The reality is statistically soccer is not a smart gamble for a scholarship.

Comment

great for you and your "little world". now compare this with the rest of reality.
        https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...lege-athletics

The statistics do not support your argument (kudos to your checkbook and your Ds accomplishments she probably special). The statistics are even more dificult for boys.
        The reality is statistically soccer is not a smart gamble for a scholarship.
        I've seen this chart a gazillion times, it's based on "High School Participants". My kid's High School team has about 30 kids. 2 play ECNL, and maybe 4 or 5 play ECRL or USYS/EDP. The majority of the rest of the team don't play outside of HS. So yeah, statistically soccer is not a smart gamble for a scholarship for those players.

My D also runs track and plays lacrosse for her High School, but does not participate in either of those sports outside of school. We are not expecting her to be in competition for a scholarship for either of those sports, lol, statistically it is not a smart gamble for her.

Comment

I've seen this chart a gazillion times, it's based on "High School Participants". My kid's High School team has about 30 kids. 2 play ECNL, and maybe 4 or 5 play ECRL or USYS/EDP. The majority of the rest of the team don't play outside of HS. So yeah, statistically soccer is not a smart gamble for a scholarship for those players.

My D also runs track and plays lacrosse for her High School, but does not participate in either of those sports outside of school. We are not expecting her to be in competition for a scholarship for either of those sports, lol, statistically it is not a smart gamble for her.
          no its based on HS aged kids! (you need to open your eyes, would it make you feel better if the author simply reworded the column heading correctly?) you are only familiar with your own little game (soccer) many activities on this list have heavy participation HS as well as club. Like Soccer, most club players play for their HS as well.

you use your own little examples and believe they are gospel truth for all. (you must be a liberal democrap.

Comment

that is a bs opinion....we can take that dumb@ss philosophy further. if thats the case, soccer and probably all sports is unnecessary. I mean really, what good is playing soccer compared to taking that time and studying?

Is there more scholarship money for a kid that plays soccer compared to an academic scholarship?.....NO!

Will you eventually make more $$$$ as a soccer player compared to being a talented professional lawyer. businessman, contractor, doctor, engineer, architect? NO!
            Your statements are very accurate. The people coming on here stating that female soccer players are getting 75% scholarship money is a very very rare event. Especially kids from the Northeast.

Comment

no its based on HS aged kids! (you need to open your eyes, would it make you feel better if the author simply reworded the column heading correctly?) you are only familiar with your own little game (soccer) many activities on this list have heavy participation HS as well as club. Like Soccer, most club players play for their HS as well.

you use your own little examples and believe they are gospel truth for all. (you must be a liberal democrap.
              This is literally the first line-"Nearly eight million students currently participate in high school athletics in the United States." and the chart says-"High School Participants".

Like I said, plenty of kids that participate in High School sports that have no desire to participate outside of High School or afterwards.

Comment

This is literally the first line-"Nearly eight million students currently participate in high school athletics in the United States." and the chart says-"High School Participants".

Like I said, plenty of kids that participate in High School sports that have no desire to participate outside of High School or afterwards.
                you are moving the goal posts again amigo. so lets stay on topic....there are more opportunities for an academic scholarship than there are for an athletic scholarship its just a plain FACT!!!! so play if it brings you joy, but in the end you better be hitting the books a hell lot more

Comment

I declare a state of shenanigan's. Very, very, very few kids get 75% for soccer. So your story about several kids from a single team getting that is BS of the highest order.

Comment

Your statements are very accurate. The people coming on here stating that female soccer players are getting 75% scholarship money is a very very rare event. Especially kids from the Northeast.
                    It is as rare as a good filet mignon. I would like to know what college that is so generous. I have a daughter playing D1 who was fortunate to get scholarship offers from 3 colleges. Each one was very similar. The way it works depends on how many full scholarships the program gets. The general rule is the women’s soccer program gets between 11-14 full scholarships to be divided for the entire program. Very few get a full scholarship and very few get 75% with the majority getting 1/3 to 1/4 depending on the player. You can make up the difference with either financial aid, grants and merit scholarships. This statement of numerous players getting 3/4 (75%) is just not true. Women’s soccer (Olympic sport) non revenue generating is run on a very tight budget sprinkled with a good amount of walk ons to add depth.

Comment

It is as rare as a good filet mignon. I would like to know what college that is so generous. I have a daughter playing D1 who was fortunate to get scholarship offers from 3 colleges. Each one was very similar. The way it works depends on how many full scholarships the program gets. The general rule is the women’s soccer program gets between 11-14 full scholarships to be divided for the entire program. Very few get a full scholarship and very few get 75% with the majority getting 1/3 to 1/4 depending on the player. You can make up the difference with either financial aid, grants and merit scholarships. This statement of numerous players getting 3/4 (75%) is just not true. Women’s soccer (Olympic sport) non revenue generating is run on a very tight budget sprinkled with a good amount of walk ons to add depth.
                      My experience is different. The kids I'm referring to were 1st or 2nd recruit picks for the schools, apparently if you're at the top of the list, you get more of an offer. Your kid was either low balled or low on the list, 1/2 is average. Thanks for the lesson, but these schools are fully funded with the full 14. My kid's recruiting class is 5, 2 at 75% 3 at 50%...that's 3 full, Class before hers was 6, probably similar allotment. Bigger class the year before, but I'm assuming the 2-3 that don't touch the field are probably in the 1/4 range...but thanks for weighing in on a particular situation you know nothing about.

Comment

My experience is different. The kids I'm referring to were 1st or 2nd recruit picks for the schools, apparently if you're at the top of the list, you get more of an offer. Your kid was either low balled or low on the list, 1/2 is average. Thanks for the lesson, but these schools are fully funded with the full 14. My kid's recruiting class is 5, 2 at 75% 3 at 50%...that's 3 full, Class before hers was 6, probably similar allotment. Bigger class the year before, but I'm assuming the 2-3 that don't touch the field are probably in the 1/4 range...but thanks for weighing in on a particular situation you know nothing about.
                        Lol I’m sure the whole recruiting class shared what money they got....how would you know what amount of $ the others got.

Comment

Lol I’m sure the whole recruiting class shared what money they got....how would you know what amount of $ the others got.
                          Who cares? I just want to know how many parents will have enough guts to do what they want, and stop being afraid of the government.... all of these mandates are recommendations not laws...

Comment

If your referring to your particular situation that’s one thing but as far as understanding how scholarships work I have a great deal of knowledge. What I said regarding how schools work with a limited amount of scholarship dollars is absolutely true. As far as your circumstances I have no clue not knowing anything about the college but the scholarship numbers you stated are not realistic at big programs that bring in more than 5 recruits in a given year.

Comment

Who cares? I just want to know how many parents will have enough guts to do what they want, and stop being afraid of the government.... all of these mandates are recommendations not laws...
                              Failed attempt at steering into the political swamp. Other states have political borads - go troll those

Comment

First of all, any athletic grants are between the schools and families so unless your D's teammates are sharing information with one another you're taking a guess at all of it. And here's a hint: they usually don't share because it unleashes jealousy and bitterness. Many families also don't clarify what their package is in terms of athletic, financial aid and merit $. So a claims of full rides or nearly full rides should be met with a healthy dose of skepticism. Second, the very few that get 75%+ are true stop starting studs and a coach has to roll over those top offers over across all four years - and this year 5 years of players because of the NCAA extension of eligibility. Even with a roster of 24 that's several fulls based on your accounting. Many rosters are even bigger than that. The math doesn't work

Finally - accept the fact that your particular experience is yours and that there are many different ones out there by families and coaches with more experience than your pinky finger.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X