Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Anyone catch the UW/SPU game? I saw the score was 2-0. Curious to know how SPU played.
    Both UW goals were late. SPU keeper was great, and SPU created a few chances. UW the better team obviously but more competitive than one might have expected.

Comment

Anyone catch the UW/SPU game? I saw the score was 2-0. Curious to know how SPU played.
      That’s great for SPU. Aren’t they d2?

Comment

Last year’s #9 vs #180. Plenty of d1 v d1 cupcake matches. Heck, Portland State was #318. Not saying they shouldn’t do those games but those games but its definitely a let down. How about EW plays PSU and the Cougs have an extra scrimmage vs the Dawgs, Zags, Ducks or Beavers? Very limited time frame and limited number of games or scrimmages this year. Unfortunate to not be able to have a higher number of competitive games.
        Previous poster said because it was practically free. Are pac12 programs really hurting that much for money? I mean this year has so few games compared to normal that you’d think they’d have money to play a few competitive games. Must be to let the bench players play.

Comment

Previous poster said because it was practically free. Are pac12 programs really hurting that much for money? I mean this year has so few games compared to normal that you’d think they’d have money to play a few competitive games. Must be to let the bench players play.
          The entire UW Athletic Dept. is hurting for Money. Cohen better figure out a way to get the football and basketball program back near the top of the P12 or she will be looking for a new job soon. You have to keep the boosters and fans happy.

Comment

I think the discussion shows how new some people are to the college game. Look back in history of Seattle U and UW over the last 10 years and you will see they play tune up games prior to league games and Exhibitions or non-conference games. The schedule each year includes games in some form with SPU, Central, and WWU. It has nothing to do with the current Covid situation and budgets.

Comment

none

What is new is the Pac12 did not allow any exhibition/scrimmages this year, and only 2 non-conference games. And Pac12 teams really have not been traveling (beyond a bus ride) for their non-conference games in. All colleges athl depts are hurting financially due to covid and I would commend Jen Cohen for the job she's doing at UW during challenging times.

Comment

The entire UW Athletic Dept. is hurting for Money. Cohen better figure out a way to get the football and basketball program back near the top of the P12 or she will be looking for a new job soon. You have to keep the boosters and fans happy.
                What about WSU? I’m surprised. I thought all the PAC 12 schools have huge athletic budgets.

Comment

Anyone know why WWU isn't playing any non-conference/exhibition games? This is the one team my HS daughter and I would like to see play.

Comment

What about WSU? I’m surprised. I thought all the PAC 12 schools have huge athletic budgets.
                    Most athletic departments operate at a very small margin and a lot have annual “losses.”

https://trojanswire.usatoday.com/202...-database/amp/

Consider the fact that most of these revenues, especially in a P5 Conference, are anchored by football revenues. A truncated season with zero attendance probably equals an 8 figure decrease in revenue. It also doesn’t help that the PAC12 Network has been an abject failure. Couple that with the fact that boosters don’t donate when teams aren’t winning and they can’t attend games and most athletic departments are hemorrhaging cash this year.

Comment

What is new is the Pac12 did not allow any exhibition/scrimmages this year, and only 2 non-conference games. And Pac12 teams really have not been traveling (beyond a bus ride) for their non-conference games in. All colleges athl depts are hurting financially due to covid and I would commend Jen Cohen for the job she's doing at UW during challenging times.
                      very funny Mr. Cohen.

Comment

none

enlighten us

Comment

Curious, how does a budget cut at UW Soccer work? P5 teams get so many perks so the concept that they are tightening their belts seems weird to me. Trimming the budget probably means less perks, which are still way more than mid-tier teams. Are they reducing salaries, staff, scholarships?

Comment

none

Not sure of the cost cutting moves, but I believe all coaches took a pay cut and they have reduced travel costs.

Comment

Curious, how does a budget cut at UW Soccer work? P5 teams get so many perks so the concept that they are tightening their belts seems weird to me. Trimming the budget probably means less perks, which are still way more than mid-tier teams. Are they reducing salaries, staff, scholarships?
                              Perks aplenty. Most P5 programs have loads of money, even this year. Haven’t heard of a single P5 team that is getting fewer perks this year. All good for the players anyway. Many coaches have taken pay cuts and some staff positions are probably feeling the bad effects.

Are general budgets really hurting? Seen plenty of pics of teams flying chartered flights to games. I think the bus ride non-conference games have more to do with Covid and trying to keep extra play regional than to any money concerns. Where is the evidence that budgets are tight? From the outside looking in, everything looks the same for P5 programs.

Comment

none

Where is the evidence that budgets are tight? .
                                Funny. Sounds like you aren't paying attention. WSU athletics lost, what.. $30M in revenue last year and has a $120M debt. Utah lost $35M. Nothing to see here...

https://www.thenewstribune.com/sport...245756865.html

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...eficit-by-202/

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...ustrates-facu/

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/01/...-due-to-covid/

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-u...k-harlan-says/

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X