Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    So they can have more expenses? Let one team go all year and others will want the same. Schools don't want that, not just because of expenses but field availability and other issues.
    Many have argued that in order to improve our domestic game we need to go to a full school year calendar. Prior to the pandemic many were advocating for just that. During that process never did I hear about other athletic programs wanting the same or having some of those other concerns you express.

Comment

Who's "they"? I'm sorry your experience with youth soccer has been filled with jealousy and bitterness, my family's hasn't. We've known these families for years, my daughter considers some of these kids to be her best friends, "sisters". We've all leaned on each other during the recruiting process, shared information, bounced things off each other, supported each other and each other's kids. We're not in competition with each other because very few, if any, of our kids were vying for offers from the same college, so no I don't have to guess. Sure, there was a little crossover with some offers, but that didn't suddenly turn us into back stabbing, lying, a55holes. Based on your assumptions of what "many families" do and don't do, I'm guessing you don't have many friends amongst the other parents on your kids team. Sad, it's such an important part of the journey.

That being said, in the past few years, NYCFC (aka World Class) has had a team that was GDA NE Champions and was seeded in the top 10 for National Playoffs twice. East Meadow has had a team that were ECNL National Championship Finalists. Susa has had 2 teams that were ECNL NE Champions. Yet somehow you claim it's a mathematical impossibility that several kids on these teams would get 75% offers from their chosen colleges? Really? Newsflash, these are the kids that get the offers...even within larger recruiting classes...even with the possibility of older players utilizing their extended eligibility.

You should heed your own advice and "Finally - accept the fact that your particular experience is yours and that there are many different ones out there". Yes, I'm aware that there are players who consider themselves lucky to get a 1/4 offer and hope to supplement costs with academic aid, just shedding some light on other scenarios, sorry that you're so offended by it.
      You're arguing with people whose kids are in very different positions than yours. I'm assuming your daughter is on one of the teams you mentioned, there's aren't. My daughter is on a very successful team (2005) and had several college coaches contact her team coach last week with interest in her. She had emailed some, but was surprised by others that she had never reached out to. These are the same people who will swear that players don't get unsolicited interest, because their kid never got any. It is what it is

Comment

As long as a school has a football program, there will be women's soccer and scholarships. But, for each scholarshiped men's team they cut they can cut some female scholarships. They also can cut football scholarships - having a maximum number doesn't mean you have to give them all. However, women's soccer will be the last sport to get hit by cuts - it's an easy way to help meet Title 9 requirements and is a very popular female sport.

Men's is a different story but so far I think only two men's D1 teams have been cut. It is also pretty popular sport so it's less likely to get cut before those less popular sports. There was never much $ on the men's side anyway.

Male or female - I'd be worried if my kid was a rower, golfer or tennis player. Hope they don't mind playing on club teams.
        Extremely uneducated opinion dating back to April 2020 where Cincinnati dumped their men's program. Athletics programs are going to be decimated after the Spring 2021 term. Perhaps you are not getting the point that many colleges, including several local on Long Island and the tri-state area, are facing financial crises that could cause them to fold. We are not talking schools like Dowling.

Comment

Extremely uneducated opinion dating back to April 2020 where Cincinnati dumped their men's program. Athletics programs are going to be decimated after the Spring 2021 term. Perhaps you are not getting the point that many colleges, including several local on Long Island and the tri-state area, are facing financial crises that could cause them to fold. We are not talking schools like Dowling.
          YOU sound litke those trump idiots...
          You just wait til Jan 6
          Then youll see!

Comment

i wonder how now with covid do these universitys make up some of the expenses?
            attendance for games was horrendous (even for D1 games) before covid. you could not even give tickets away. now?
            Soccer is not attendance based. The Universities never ever make up that money. Instead, schools are slashing programs in order to keep their ACADEMIC programs above water. Have you seen how many schools have furloughed staff : secretaries, library services, custodial, residential services and more. To balance budget, schools are cutting staff and trying to save faculty positions to the best of their ability.

Comment

YOU sound litke those trump idiots...
              You just wait til Jan 6
              Then youll see!
              January 6th ... in what year?

See what?

I am telling you that schools are going to slash and burn these scholarships.

Comment

January 6th ... in what year?

See what?

I am telling you that schools are going to slash and burn these scholarships.
                Youll see
                Pence will stop the electoral college and slash scholarships.
                Tool!
                Conspiracy theorists are everywhere now!
                Go back to Q

Comment

How are Molloy, Post & Adelphi different from Dowling?

Comment

Many have argued that in order to improve our domestic game we need to go to a full school year calendar. Prior to the pandemic many were advocating for just that. During that process never did I hear about other athletic programs wanting the same or having some of those other concerns you express.
                    Schools don't care about developing and improving US soccer. Of course many other sports would like a longer schedule and more rest between games. Look at how grueling the basketball schedule is, especially if you make it into any playoffs.

Not the poster

Comment

Soccer is not attendance based. The Universities never ever make up that money. Instead, schools are slashing programs in order to keep their ACADEMIC programs above water. Have you seen how many schools have furloughed staff : secretaries, library services, custodial, residential services and more. To balance budget, schools are cutting staff and trying to save faculty positions to the best of their ability.
                      Plenty are slashing more experienced faculty too and bringing in younger, cheaper profs (happening at one my kids schools, thankfully a senior). If you're looking at a school take some time to read the campus newspapers. The school tours won't tell about that stuff and it directly impacts your kid.

Also at some schools students get in to sporting events for free or like $1. (Not the big popular football or basketball but other sports). They're not making much of anything from actual games.

Schools run athletic teams for many reasons. They think it gives a competitive advantage in attracting students (they are businesses looking for market share). It can help create a campus community. It also brings alumni money.

Most soccer teams will be ok because soccer is quasi popular. For sure women's teams will be fine because of Title 9. How many people go watch tennis matches or gymnastics?

Comment

Some schools aren't going to survive, period. They were already on the edge and don't have the deep pockets of higher ranked, larger schools. Many schools with large endowments but poor budgeting skills are in trouble because endowment funds are usually restricted by donors for specific uses (a building, scholarships etc).

Comment

How are Molloy, Post & Adelphi different from Dowling?
                          Dowling used their endowment to pay for operating expenses while attendance dwindled from 4500 students to 1500 students. When the piggy bank went dry, Dowling went under.

Comment

Schools don't care about developing and improving US soccer. Of course many other sports would like a longer schedule and more rest between games. Look at how grueling the basketball schedule is, especially if you make it into any playoffs.

Not the poster
                            The difference is that soccer’s schedule affects the rules of the college game. NCAA needs to get closer to 3 subs rather then their version of unlimited substitution. That’s why many advocated for the longer season. The current substitution rules are in place because a team can be scheduled 3 matches in a 7 day period.

Coaches have adjusted and learned to manipulate that system. Our frantic style of play on the national team is part of that system. College players do not play at a pace that a 90 minute starter does. There are players trained for 30 minute max efforts, take a break, do it again in the second half.

Their metrics are off the charts but have no grace.

Comment

The difference is that soccer’s schedule affects the rules of the college game. NCAA needs to get closer to 3 subs rather then their version of unlimited substitution. That’s why many advocated for the longer season. The current substitution rules are in place because a team can be scheduled 3 matches in a 7 day period.

Coaches have adjusted and learned to manipulate that system. Our frantic style of play on the national team is part of that system. College players do not play at a pace that a 90 minute starter does. There are players trained for 30 minute max efforts, take a break, do it again in the second half.

Their metrics are off the charts but have no grace.
                              I agree.
                              Jojo

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X