Marco Koolman on way out

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a former player, I didn't play in college to develop, we played to win. Every one on the team knew this was the end of the road (besides men's leagues, which can last for decades).

Development is done to get you there; once you are there you are playing to the score. Sure, you are constantly developing to make yourself better - just like any job. But, you are doing so with the intent to win (whether that means a scoreline or company goal).

Frankly, if you are looking for college to develop you as a player you are about 4 years too late.....

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      This may be the dumbest thing I've read on this site.
      Sorry to say as a HC grad, but...

BC's a bit more selective and the lure of going to college right in (or as close to the city line as you can get). Perhaps they work kids harder at HC, don't know whether or not that's true, been out of there so long I can't really say. Degrees from both places are certainly worth a lot.

Some claim it's because BC got better in sports and got more marketing exposure; the so-called "Flutie Effect" (which caused applications there to rise by a lot) while the president of HC took the school in the other direction. I think it's more Boston vis-a-vis Worcester; when you look at how selective BU and Northeastern (who'd have thought that a generation ago) have become, I think I'm on to something.

I will say this. I am on a HC sports board; yes, I'd say men's soccer is probably the 5th or 6th most popular topic on the board; but little or no time has been spent trashing Marco Koolman; and, I assure you, every coach up there gets trashed at some point or another. So, let's say I read this thread periodically with great amusement.

Comment

I have kids at HC and BC and they are both great schools. BC's admission rates are slightly lower but not by a wide margin. HC is definitely more rigorous from a workload and grade scale perspective but that does not necessarily make it a better or worse school.

Comment

I have kids at HC and BC and they are both great schools. BC's admission rates are slightly lower but not by a wide margin. HC is definitely more rigorous from a workload and grade scale perspective but that does not necessarily make it a better or worse school.
          to be fair, op did specifically identify HC as "more rigorous"....as to rankings, who really cares, but:
          https://www.collegefactual.com/ranki...oman_catholic/

Re Worcester vs. Chestnut Hill? Most assuredly...

Comment

Why do you say that, HC is a tougher school than BC

Comment

As a former player, I didn't play in college to develop, we played to win. Every one on the team knew this was the end of the road (besides men's leagues, which can last for decades).

Development is done to get you there; once you are there you are playing to the score. Sure, you are constantly developing to make yourself better - just like any job. But, you are doing so with the intent to win (whether that means a scoreline or company goal).

Frankly, if you are looking for college to develop you as a player you are about 4 years too late.....
              Good for you...

Does that apply to Football, Baseball, Basketball, Ice Hockey too? Never mind golf... How many 17/18 year old kids in any sport go pro? You are committing 4 years to a sport just like a job, generally for free in the college soccer world.

How long do you think you would last in a job and win, without development, not just self development.

So why on earth would kids then sit on the bench at top D1 schools if they want to play to win in their "twilight years", but don't play at all.... For them they got the skill, but are just not good enough to make the field... Please don't tell me the top 10 schools don't develop their players....

But I guess most kids like you should just play to win if you can get off the bench.

Comment

Geez, of coarse college players want to develop and get better. Unless you want to sit, there are always players behind you that strive to get better and earn starting roles.

Comment

The worst coaches are often the most beloved by the players. They aren't too demanding, losses are accepted, etc. D1 college athletics is a business. Coaches know they are being graded on performance in terms of w-l. If they can't handle that then they shouldn't have been in the business in the first place.
                  Koolman qualifies as a terrible coach unfortunately his players hate him

Comment

Good for you...

Does that apply to Football, Baseball, Basketball, Ice Hockey too? Never mind golf... How many 17/18 year old kids in any sport go pro? You are committing 4 years to a sport just like a job, generally for free in the college soccer world.

How long do you think you would last in a job and win, without development, not just self development.

So why on earth would kids then sit on the bench at top D1 schools if they want to play to win in their "twilight years", but don't play at all.... For them they got the skill, but are just not good enough to make the field... Please don't tell me the top 10 schools don't develop their players....

But I guess most kids like you should just play to win if you can get off the bench.
                    I assume you missed the part where I said "you are constantly developing"?

Yes, life is a constant development. But, honestly, I'm not paying employees to go take classes if they aren't going to benefit my bottom line. Same with soccer in college. Yes, they want them to develop if it helps us win; but winning is most important. Most of that development takes place before they get to college. Otherwise they wouldn't have been offered a spot on the team.

I don't hire employees with an eye on how they will develop. I hire them for what they know, and will mold that development into how it benefits the company.

Comment

I assume you missed the part where I said "you are constantly developing"?

Yes, life is a constant development. But, honestly, I'm not paying employees to go take classes if they aren't going to benefit my bottom line. Same with soccer in college. Yes, they want them to develop if it helps us win; but winning is most important. Most of that development takes place before they get to college. Otherwise they wouldn't have been offered a spot on the team.

I don't hire employees with an eye on how they will develop. I hire them for what they know, and will mold that development into how it benefits the company.
                      Are you still in business? Have you heard the the quote: What happens if we develop our employees and they leave? Answer: Well what happens if we don't and they stay.

Happy for you finding employees that are perfect fits and are not willing to invest in them for your company to succeed. For that, they should do it themselves... Hmmm.... That quote rings true.

Plus, help explain how those kids Mr. Koolman helped develop at the Bolts now playing for him, have helped his winning record this past year to be ranked 191/206 in D1. I guess that was 4 years of waste and now 4 years of pain.

Anyway, good luck in your outlook on the world.

Comment

Are you still in business? Have you heard the the quote: What happens if we develop our employees and they leave? Answer: Well what happens if we don't and they stay.

Happy for you finding employees that are perfect fits and are not willing to invest in them for your company to succeed. For that, they should do it themselves... Hmmm.... That quote rings true.

Plus, help explain how those kids Mr. Koolman helped develop at the Bolts now playing for him, have helped his winning record this past year to be ranked 191/206 in D1. I guess that was 4 years of waste and now 4 years of pain.

Listen, if you are only going to read some parts of a post, and disregard the rest which we are in agreement with, then there's really not much to discuss.

You and the voice in your head can hash it out and the rest of us can just read it.

That work?

Comment

I think you are missing his point...when you get to college you should be appropriately 'developed' to be able to handle the pace of play.

If I hire someone at my company I expect them to be able to fulfill the job requirements that they told me in the job interview that they were capable of doing. In the same thought I would expect a college player to be able to play soccer at a college level...and in both cases to continually to grow as an employee or player....as the poster said 'constantly developing'...which you apparently missed or disregarded.

Comment

I see koolman’s wife was fired from BC for mistreatment of her players . I guess it’s a family thing at least the AD listened to the complaints of the players.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                              I see koolman’s wife was fired from BC for mistreatment of her players . I guess it’s a family thing at least the AD listened to the complaints of the players.
                              Where do you get that she was fired for mistreatment of players?

Comment

Be careful saying SLANDEROUS things

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X