X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS Playoffs Picked Out of a Hat?

Officially about 2 weeks from playoffs.

The NHIAA playoff document for all sports was posted on 10/5 and updated on 10/8.

Football is listed as "Higher Seeded Team" while Soccer is listed as "Lower Team Number" with 5 rounds: Play In Game, Prelims, Quarters, Semis, and Finals. No other information in that document as to what that means.

Not sure how to interpret "Lower Team Number" other than assume they will randomly pick all teams and assign a number from 1 to .... The lower your number the more home games you get from Play In through Quarters? Never seen that playoff document listed this way.

Wonder if the NHIAA has considered attendance at games. Policies are all over the place and I understand it is up to each individual school/district. Let's say Bedford boys get picked with a lower number and get matched up against Manchester Central in an early round. Each team has not allowed away fans at regular season games. Will schools modify policies for playoffs? Fair to not allow an equal number of home fans to away games during playoffs?

If your team is in 1st place you have the lowest number....seems easy to me!

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      If your team is in 1st place you have the lowest number....seems easy to me!
      Super easy. Who is in first place for D1 boys right now?

Comment

Super easy. Who is in first place for D1 boys right now?
        Is this a trick question?

Londonderry.

Comment

Is this a trick question?

Londonderry.
          No trick. I'm assuming you are looking at NHIAA standings. My understanding is that because of Covid pool play those standings are meaningless.

Comment

Playoffs won't be based on standings due to pool play. Hence "Lowest Team Number" not "Highest Seeded Team".

Comment

Playoffs won't be based on standings due to pool play. Hence "Lowest Team Number" not "Highest Seeded Team".
              How many teams get to put name in hat

Comment

Have heard that schools need to make decision soon if they want to participate in playoffs. I would assume some schools who have not won many games, whose school districts, etc. want to minimize any potential travel, etc. might not participate. We'll see. How else to interpret "Lower Team Number"? I'm surprised that some think to think playoffs will be based on teams standings when none of the top teams will have played many of the other top teams. Check out Hanover girls in D1. They will finish undefeated in D1 but will maybe (other than Goffstown) not have played 1 D1 team that would be considered a playoff team. Do you just ignore strength of schedule or do you just do a random draw with no bias? Could you have unfortunate early matchups between strong teams but what else do other than introduce way to much subjectivity into entire process.

Comment

Have heard that schools need to make decision soon if they want to participate in playoffs. I would assume some schools who have not won many games, whose school districts, etc. want to minimize any potential travel, etc. might not participate. We'll see. How else to interpret "Lower Team Number"? I'm surprised that some think to think playoffs will be based on teams standings when none of the top teams will have played many of the other top teams. Check out Hanover girls in D1. They will finish undefeated in D1 but will maybe (other than Goffstown) not have played 1 D1 team that would be considered a playoff team. Do you just ignore strength of schedule or do you just do a random draw with no bias? Could you have unfortunate early matchups between strong teams but what else do other than introduce way to much subjectivity into entire process.
                  To me, you go with the best record and realize there will be some paper tigers in there. No need to recreate the wheel.

Comment

This season doesn’t need to be dragged out any longer. It’s already a joke. Just finish the season with the last regular season games and be done with it. It’s not going to mean anything to anybody.

Comment

This season doesn’t need to be dragged out any longer. It’s already a joke. Just finish the season with the last regular season games and be done with it. It’s not going to mean anything to anybody.
                      Tell that to a HS senior.

Comment

Tell that to a HS senior.
                        If they don’t already know it’s a joke then they’re delusional

Comment

If they don’t already know it’s a joke then they’re delusional
                          Clearly written by someone who never played a sport in their life.

Comment

Clearly written by someone who never played a sport in their life.
                            In a pandemic? No.

Comment

In a pandemic? No.
                              Hey toolbag...kids are working hard in a very difficult time. As we come out of this, most of these kids will be tougher than your sorry ass. They will be an asset to the workforces unlike you. You just can't see that a now 16 year old is going to take your job!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X