College and Education

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The liberalization of our schools is the reason this has happened. Equality of education should not mean one gender should suffer at the expense of another. Equal does not mean the same. Despite their believed brilliance, this is a concept the left just can't wrap it's brain around.

It’s Time to Worry: Boys Are Rapidly Falling Behind Girls in School

http://news.yahoo.com/time-worry-boy...194100724.html

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      The liberalization of our schools is the reason this has happened. Equality of education should not mean one gender should suffer at the expense of another. Equal does not mean the same. Despite their believed brilliance, this is a concept the left just can't wrap it's brain around.

It’s Time to Worry: Boys Are Rapidly Falling Behind Girls in School

http://news.yahoo.com/time-worry-boy...194100724.html
      Poppycock. You are one of those who sees a "liberal" hiding under your bed causing all problems. Boys will catch up to girls as soon as parents give boys no more encouragement to sports than girls get. Period.

Comment

Poppycock. You are one of those who sees a "liberal" hiding under your bed causing all problems. Boys will catch up to girls as soon as parents give boys no more encouragement to sports than girls get. Period.
        Boys are behind because liberals determined that the classroom was geared to boys, so they created a more female friendly classroom. What has happened over the years is that classrooms are now geared toward girls and many boys do not do well in the female oriented classroom. That is fact. And that is why many schools who are really concerned with student education are considering a return to single sex classrooms. One size does not fit all and these options should be available to those who think they present a better educational opportunity for their children, but the liberal mantra of equality for all without taking into consideration how children learn will win out even if it means boys (or girls) lose out. Thankfully, I can afford to send my kids to private school. I feel badly for those who can not and have no options but to send their children to the declining public school systems across this country.

And as long as I'm ranting, I don't begrudge Newton's $197 million school, only the fact that I had to help pay for it while my town's public school (median income $68,000) scrapes just to keep teachers in the classroom.

Liberalism has resulted in a two tiered system of those who can afford to educate their kids and those who can't. Here in Massachusetts it's based on zip codes and if you think you can afford to live in a town with an excellent public school system, then you'd better be making well over $100,000 a year (for example Newton, median family income, $138,000; average 3 bedroom house, $600,000). This educational system serves the Democrat Party really well, so don't expect a change. For all their talk of looking out for the middle and low income people of this country, their real goal is to establish a plutocracy where they rule and most Americans are dumb enough to buy into this crap.

Comment

Boys are behind because liberals determined that the classroom was geared to boys, so they created a more female friendly classroom. What has happened over the years is that classrooms are now geared toward girls and many boys do not do well in the female oriented classroom. That is fact. And that is why many schools who are really concerned with student education are considering a return to single sex classrooms. One size does not fit all and these options should be available to those who think they present a better educational opportunity for their children, but the liberal mantra of equality for all without taking into consideration how children learn will win out even if it means boys (or girls) lose out. Thankfully, I can afford to send my kids to private school. I feel badly for those who can not and have no options but to send their children to the declining public school systems across this country.

Liberalism has resulted in a two tiered system of those who can afford to educate their kids and those who can't. Here in Massachusetts it's based on zip codes and if you think you can afford to live in a town with an excellent public school system, then you'd better be making well over $100,000 a year (for example Newton, median family income, $138,000; average 3 bedroom house, $600,000). This educational system serves the Democrat Party really well, so don't expect a change. For all their talk of looking out for the middle and low income people of this country, their real goal is to establish a plutocracy where they rule and most Americans are dumb enough to buy into this crap

And as long as I'm ranting, I don't begrudge Newton's $197 million school, only the fact that I had to help pay for it while my town's public school (median income $68,000) scrapes just to keep teachers in the classroom.

Comment

LOL, I guess you don't read the soccer section of this forum much do you?

Comment

The K-12 Implosion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXoubX4wncw

Comment

Why isn't Mr. Liberal willing to comment on this video??? Perhaps he can't argue the point and agrees?

Comment

To (All) the Colleges That Rejected Me
                  If only I had a tiger mom or started a fake charity.

By SUZY LEE WEISS
                  Like me, millions of high-school seniors with sour grapes are asking themselves this week how they failed to get into the colleges of their dreams. It's simple: For years, they—we—were lied to.

Colleges tell you, "Just be yourself." That is great advice, as long as yourself has nine extracurriculars, six leadership positions, three varsity sports, killer SAT scores and two moms. Then by all means, be yourself! If you work at a local pizza shop and are the slowest person on the cross-country team, consider taking your business elsewhere.

What could I have done differently over the past years?

For starters, had I known two years ago what I know now, I would have gladly worn a headdress to school. Show me to any closet, and I would've happily come out of it. "Diversity!" I offer about as much diversity as a saltine cracker. If it were up to me, I would've been any of the diversities: Navajo, Pacific Islander, anything. Sen. Elizabeth Warren, I salute you and your 1/32 Cherokee heritage.

also probably should have started a fake charity. Providing veterinary services for homeless people's pets. Collecting donations for the underprivileged chimpanzees of the Congo. Raising awareness for Chapped-Lips-in-the-Winter Syndrome. Fun-runs, dance-a-thons, bake sales—as long as you're using someone else's misfortunes to try to propel yourself into the Ivy League, you're golden.

Having a tiger mom helps, too. As the youngest of four daughters, I noticed long ago that my parents gave up on parenting me. It has been great in certain ways: Instead of "Be home by 11," it's "Don't wake us up when you come through the door, we're trying to sleep." But my parents also left me with a dearth of hobbies that make admissions committees salivate. I've never sat down at a piano, never plucked a violin. Karate lasted about a week and the swim team didn't last past the first lap. Why couldn't Amy Chua have adopted me as one of her cubs?

Then there was summer camp. I should've done what I knew was best—go to Africa, scoop up some suffering child, take a few pictures, and write my essays about how spending that afternoon with Kinto changed my life. Because everyone knows that if you don't have anything difficult going on in your own life, you should just hop on a plane so you're able to talk about what other people have to deal with.

Or at least hop to an internship. Get a precocious-sounding title to put on your resume. "Assistant Director of Mail Services." "Chairwoman of Coffee Logistics." I could have been a gopher in the office of someone I was related to. Work experience!

To those kids who by age 14 got their doctorate, cured a disease, or discovered a guilt-free brownie recipe: My parents make me watch your "60 Minutes" segments, and they've clipped your newspaper articles for me to read before bed. You make us mere mortals look bad. (Also, I am desperately jealous and willing to pay a lot to learn your secrets.)

To those claiming that I am bitter—you bet I am! An underachieving selfish teenager making excuses for her own failures? That too! To those of you disgusted by this, shocked that I take for granted the wonderful gifts I have been afforded, I say shhhh—"The Real Housewives" is on.

Ms. Weiss is a senior at Taylor Allderdice High School in Pittsburgh

Comment

My son and his very good female friend have attended the same small Christian elementary school & high school. Their academic qualifications are nearly identical — top 2 students in their classes, same level of leadership & extracurricular activities, both with SAT scores 2100 or above, straight A honors students, he is president of the NHS Chapter, she of the Student Council. They live in the same town, have gone to the same schools with the same teachers, same friends, same books, same classes, etc. etc. They were in theater together at school, in band together, on the same track & soccer teams. They are both middle class. They applied to many of the same colleges & were interviewed by the same alumni for Harvard & Princeton. My son’s friend’s father is African American. She was accepted at every elite school that she applied to — Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Columbia, Georgetown & other Tier 1 schools. My son was not accepted at any of the elite schools that he applied to, including Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Pomona, Middlebury, Williams, Amherst and Bowdoin.

What strikes me about this case is the illustration that if Affirmative Action is designed to promote diversity, these 2 students in fact are about as identical as you as you can get. The only difference between them is a modest difference in skin color, and a check box on their college applications identifying their racial heritage.

Both students are victimized by a system purely concerned with race, in my opinion, to some degree. I’m not sure if this case would be useful to pursue or not, in the interests of changing our society for the better. I’m at a loss to explain the tremendous disparity in experiences between my son & his friend in any way that does not purely revolve around skin color.

Thanks for your thoughts and time.

Disappointed Dad

p.s. You could add that my son was voted “Homecoming King”, and his friend “Homecoming Queen” — their parallel achievements, opportunities, recognitions and friendships make any notion that diversity is enhanced by preferential treatment of either of them absurd. My son is diverse in his own right — tri-lingual (English/French/Spanish) and a dual-citizen (French/American).

http://www.nationalreview.com/phi-be...ge-roger-clegg

Comment

Unbelievable! No wonder tuition costs are so high!!!

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/former-...13--ncaab.html

Former Rutgers Athletic Director Tim Pernetti is getting $1.2 million in salary, plus an iPad, car allowance and more than two years of health insurance coverage under a settlement agreement.

Comment

This is an interesting report with stats that contradict what a lot of people would have us believe including that we don't spend enough on education. According to the report the US spends more on education per-student than every country in the world. If you want to view our spending as a percentage of our GDP we come in a very close fifth behind Denmark, New Zealand, Iceland, and South Korea. In addition to that, our teachers spend more hours teaching than all but 2 countries.

http://www.oecd.org/education/CN%20-...d%20States.pdf

Comment

Unbelievable! No wonder tuition costs are so high!!!

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/former-...13--ncaab.html

Former Rutgers Athletic Director Tim Pernetti is getting $1.2 million in salary, plus an iPad, car allowance and more than two years of health insurance coverage under a settlement agreement.
                          You don't think he deserves the iPad?

Comment

Good one!

Mean Professor Tells Student to “get your sh*t together”

http://doanie.wordpress.com/2010/02/...tells-student/

Comment

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/25-uni...204146173.html

25 universities with the worst professors

1. U.S. Merchant Marine Academy (NY)
                              2. Michigan Technological University
                              3. U.S. Coast Guard Academy (CT)
                              4. Milwaukee School of Engineering
                              5. New Jersey Institute of Technology
                              6. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (NY)
                              7. Widener University (PA)
                              8. St. Cloud University (MN)
                              9. Bentley University (MA)
                              10. Indiana State University
                              11. Worcester Polytechnic Institute (MA)
                              12. Central Michigan University
                              13. Minnesota State University, Mankato
                              14. Pace University (NY)
                              15. Stevens Institute of Technology (NJ)
                              16. Seton Hall University (NJ)
                              17. Westminster College (PA)
                              18. Howard University (DC)
                              19. Iowa State University
                              20. University of Toledo (OH)
                              21. Truman State University (MO)
                              22. Illinois State University
                              23. University of Connecticut
                              24. Oregon Institute of Technology
                              25. University of Maryland

West Point and the Air Force Academy -- rank near the top of the list of the schools with the best professors.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505145_1...st-professors/

25 colleges with the best professors

- Oklahoma Wesleyan University
                              - North Greenville University (S.C.)
                              - U.S. Military Academy (N.Y.)
                              - Carleton College (Minn.)
                              - Northwestern College (Iowa)
                              - U.S. Air Force Academy (Colo.)
                              - Wellesley College (Mass.)
                              - Master's College and Seminary (Calif.)
                              - Bryn Mawr College (Pa.)
                              - Whitman College (Wash.)
                              - Whitworth University (Wash.)
                              - Wisconsin Lutheran University
                              - Randolph College (Va.)
                              - Doane College (Neb.)
                              - Marlboro College (Vt.)
                              - Centenary College of Louisiana
                              - Pacific University (Ore.)
                              - College of the Ozarks (Mo.)
                              - Sewanee - University of the South (Tenn.)
                              - Emory & Henry College (Va.)
                              - Wabash College (Ind.)
                              - Sarah Lawrence College (N.Y.)
                              - Hastings College (N.E.)
                              - Cornell College (Iowa)
                              - Hollins University (Va.)

Comment

Only 150 of 3500 U.S. Colleges Are Worth the Investment: Former Secretary of Education

[i]The U.S. is home to some of the greatest colleges and universities in the world. But with the student debt load at more than $1 trillion and youth unemployment elevated, when assessing the value of a college education, that’s only one part of the story.....“We have about 21 million people in higher education, and about half the people who start four year colleges don’t finish,” Bennett tells The Daily Ticker. “Those who do finish, who graduated in 2011 - half were either unemployed or radically underemployed and in debt.”

That average student loan balance for a 25-year-old is $20,326, according to the Federal Reserve of New York. Student debt is second largest source of U.S. household debt, after only mortgages.

Bennett assessed the “return on investment” for the 3500 colleges and universities in the country. He found that returns were positive for only 150 institutions. The top 10 schools ranked by Bennett as having the best "ROI" are below (for the full list he used, click here, and for the latest figures, click here):

1.Harvey Mudd College
                                2.California Institute of Technology
                                3.Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
                                4.Stanford University
                                5.Princeton University
                                6.Harvard University
                                7.Dartmouth College
                                8.Duke University
                                9.University of Pennsylvania
                                10.University of Notre Dame
                                He found college is “worth it” if you get into a top tier university like Stanford, or study an in-demand field like nuclear engineering at even a lower tier school.

The problem, Bennett says, is people going to second-tier schools, majoring in less-marketable liberal arts fields, and taking on debt to do so.

Alternatives to a traditional four-year college include entering the workforce prior to college, joining the military, or going to a 2-year community college.

Bennet discovered, for example, graduates of Jefferson College of Health Science and Nursing in Virginia make more after two years than those from the prestigious University of Virginia in Charlottesville.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X