Talking-Soccer.com  

Go Back   Talking-Soccer.com > Soccer By Region / State > Region 1 > New York

Notices

New York Discussions about New York soccer.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 11-01-2017
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Right now, NYSC has been passing on their best players to NYCFC. I can think of 4 or 5 players in the U14 - U15 age groups that I am personally aware of. If they merge with FCW then the best player or two will still be moving on to NYCFC (if they can manage the commute) but the remaining ones will still be around ... for a very solid team.
You'll never be able to stop top players from going to MLS clubs, and that's ok - that's how it should work. But it's better to combine two weaker teams into one theoretically stronger one. It would weed out most of the bench warmers who probably shouldn't be in DA to begin with. DA overall is too big and to fill teams and occupy geography there's too many clubs and players that shouldn't be in the system.

As for merging I agree it wouldn't be easy but FCW may be interested in throwing up the white flag
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-06-2017
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default No Merger

These NYSC-FCW merger rumors have been around for years but make no sense on boys side. If the clubs were going to merge, wouldn't they have done so BEFORE NYSC built new fields and simply used FCW's SUNY-Purchase facility. Look at the USDA map - plenty of cities have more DA teams in close proximity. 2 for Westchester, which has 1mm pop is not so much. NYSC doesn't need the merger as will get full academy status now, given their national team player production, and FCW won't want to do it if its basically a takeover. FCW is doing fine - played NYCFC close this weekend and won the U15. Tired of these rumors.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-06-2017
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You'll never be able to stop top players from going to MLS clubs, and that's ok - that's how it should work. But it's better to combine two weaker teams into one theoretically stronger one. It would weed out most of the bench warmers who probably shouldn't be in DA to begin with. DA overall is too big and to fill teams and occupy geography there's too many clubs and players that shouldn't be in the system.

As for merging I agree it wouldn't be easy but FCW may be interested in throwing up the white flag
White flag, I'm not so sure. FCW U15 won 2:1 against NYCFC over the weekend.

Not every Westchester parent wants to drive their kid down to St. Johns for practice. It's more likely that NYSC will fold as it's only been around 5 or 6 years and has always had a lot of turnover in its management and coaching ranks. Does anybody even remember that NYSC was founded by Claudia Reyna ? FCW seems more stable from that perspective.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-06-2017
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

That's an absurd statement. Have had kids at both clubs. Much more turnover on coaching at FC - only Steve Carson remains from even 3 years ago. Christian Gonzalez has been running NYSC since inception and was youth coach of the year last year.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-06-2017
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
White flag, I'm not so sure. FCW U15 won 2:1 against NYCFC over the weekend.

Not every Westchester parent wants to drive their kid down to St. Johns for practice. It's more likely that NYSC will fold as it's only been around 5 or 6 years and has always had a lot of turnover in its management and coaching ranks. Does anybody even remember that NYSC was founded by Claudia Reyna ? FCW seems more stable from that perspective.
Wow. One win. Call the Post.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-06-2017
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
These NYSC-FCW merger rumors have been around for years but make no sense on boys side. If the clubs were going to merge, wouldn't they have done so BEFORE NYSC built new fields and simply used FCW's SUNY-Purchase facility. Look at the USDA map - plenty of cities have more DA teams in close proximity. 2 for Westchester, which has 1mm pop is not so much. NYSC doesn't need the merger as will get full academy status now, given their national team player production, and FCW won't want to do it if its basically a takeover. FCW is doing fine - played NYCFC close this weekend and won the U15. Tired of these rumors.
FCW does not have their own facility at Purchase. They rent fields and are always at the mercy of Purchase. I've shown up there to drop off a kid for practice multiple times only to find out we're cancelled because the baseball team (or some other entity) had the field.

NYSC getting a dedicated facility only send to make a merger MORE likely, not less.

Also, selective disclosure on the NYCFC games. U13, U13, U16/17 and U18/19 all got shut out

U13 is 2-8-3, U13 is 1-11-1, U15 is 6-3-3, U17 is 4-6-1 and U19 is 1-6-4.

Aggregate record 14-34-12.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-06-2017
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
That's an absurd statement. Have had kids at both clubs. Much more turnover on coaching at FC - only Steve Carson remains from even 3 years ago. Christian Gonzalez has been running NYSC since inception and was youth coach of the year last year.
Sorry mate , CG may have been around but they had that english fellow from Inside Soccer running things for a few years and my understanding is that NR was the chief architect and now he's off to nycfc with his long maned biddy MDP
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-06-2017
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

NYSC has zero reason to merge. Even if FCW loses academy, what's in it for NYSC to merge now that they have fields and are on cusp of getting full academy. Nothing
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-07-2017
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
NYSC has zero reason to merge. Even if FCW loses academy, what's in it for NYSC to merge now that they have fields and are on cusp of getting full academy. Nothing
Bodies and market share. That's what it's about these days. More profitable non DA teams enables them to reduce fees for DA teams, which they're supposed to do as per USSF mandate. Someone has to help pay for the fields.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-07-2017
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

bodies and market share? NYSC has plenty of business, tons of teams, camps, clinics - they don't need more share. And while FCW doesn't own SUNY facility outright, that arrangement hasn't prevented them from keeping full academy status. Unless US soccer absolutely forces them, there is likely too much bad blood and no real rationale on either side for merger. These old rumors are simply based off girls side having merged, but FCW girls was a totally different program. Not happening.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.